My GTi6 just stopped!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default My GTi6 just stopped!!

Hey guys, I was driving around after just having washed my car and as I was pulling up to the lights my puggy's engine just stopped (I have a really bad habit of coasting in in neutral). All the dash lights came on. All I had to do was re-start it, and it happened another time at the next set of lights, but hasn't again.

Advertisement

Could some water have gotten into something it shouldn't have?? I'm not overly worried, she's still under warranty, but just wondering if it is something I should keep an eye on.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

First thing to do is to try an ECU reset. Disconnect battery (-ive terminal) for ten minutes and reconnect. Turn ignition to standby postion and wait 10 seconds, then restart the engine.

Make sure you have the pin for the standard stereo if you have it as it will ask for it if the battery has been disconnected.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Our 6 used to do it quite a bit. Normally when in neutral. Our intake/throttle body needed to be cleaned out as I recall.

1000+ Posts

GTI124's almost got it

It would be caused by a dirty/gunked up idle stepper motor. It's the thing tht controls the engine idle speed. When you back off the throttle, the ECU tells the idle stepper motor where to hold the revs (for idle). If the motor is dirty/full of crud/worn out it can't do its job properly and will sometimes not catch the idle quick enough, causing the engine to stall.

Take the idle stepper motor out and clean it in petrol and see what happens. It's on/in the plastic intake as GTI124 described - sorry I can't describe a precise location on a GTi6.

Do the engine revs vary much at idle? Revs going up and down at idle also indicate this problem

Lots of mechanics will say "replace it" - but generally a clean out will solve it.

Derek.

No, the idle is fine, very steady.

But that sounds like it in that it didn't catch the idle quick enough when I backed off the throttle.Thanks for the advice, I'll keep a check on it. Didn't happen at all last night or this morning.

Ummm, just one minor, little thing though, where is this "stepper motor" and how hard is it to take out??

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Hey. You dont need to worry about it!! All that happened was some water got into the distributer and hance everything cut off. It hasnt happened again because now it has dried out....

I used to work at a carwash and this happned all the time and cars were either just stopping or not starting again...

Maca

Maca; yeah, I thought that as well! Putting my mind to it, I do remember giving the front grille a good blast, so it probably would've have helped huh? Still, it's good to know if it happens again it isn't major.

The GTI6 doesn't have a distributor. It has a coil pack for each cylinder.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Well, I was thinking that water may have gotten in somewhere, that was my initial reaction.

I'm not terribly ofait with EFI engines having only driven carby fed ones for 12 years. I'm not going to ask about how they work so don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    GTI124's almost got it

It would be caused by a dirty/gunked up idle stepper motor...
    You've described exactly what I've been experiencing on and off for a while! Thanks DeKa...any more advice on how to clean the stepper motor?? Or do you reckon it would be easier to wait a couple of months (it's not too bad atm) and get Paul V to take care of it at my next service??
    '97 N5 306 XSi - Blaze Gold

Fellow Frogger!

Q. does this lead to surging / oscillations when driving slow (2nd gear, 30km/h) when you first start the car.

It is just that i've had those same symptoms listed above since buying my car brand new (Sep03, Citroen Xsara VTS3). I guess it has stalled 9 times by itself and countless times where it almost stalls and the battery light comes on but somehow recovers. All this happens at clutch in to coast.

Fellow Frogger!

oh and someone that has a digital camera, can they please take a photo of the forementioned stepper motor of evil.

you're allowed to use the hose to wash your car in melbourne?

I cheated and used one of those wash 'n go places where you keep feeding the coins in.

Am I the only person who takes their own bucket to these car washes? Saves alot of money I have to say. Only costs $1 to fill the bucket and $1 to hose off the car. Sweet.

Just thought I'd add that I've never had my 6 stall after a wash. I had it stall in neutral and often under deceleration.

Thread Information