what exactly is a 505 executive?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By davemcbean

Thread: what exactly is a 505 executive?

Tadpole

Default what exactly is a 505 executive?

Looking at 505's for a friend because I think they rock (and I want to drive it). I've been hunting for a 505gti series 2 but have seen an advert for a 1985 505 executive; how did the executive differ from the other models? is it a Gti with leather? or are there more fundamental differences. They're asking $4k so I thought it might be worth a look. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Advertisement

Will

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Looking at 505's for a friend because I think they rock (and I want to drive it). I've been hunting for a 505gti series 2 but have seen an advert for a 1985 505 executive; how did the executive differ from the other models? is it a Gti with leather? or are there more fundamental differences. They're asking $4k so I thought it might be worth a look. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Will
    They are upmarket STI/GTI. The STI executive had a lot of the GTI features such as seats and spoiler etc.
    The GTI is the one to go for, the K jetronic injection on the STI is not liked and the metric wheels are imposible to get tyres for.
    Being a 1985 model this is possibly an STI and too expensive unless it is in as new condition.

Graham Wallis

Like Graham said, the Executive was the upmarket version of the series one 505 Gti / Sti. There's no mechanical differences between the executive and the Gti / Sti. The Gti executive arrived in australia around the same time as the Gti (late 1984) which would mean the one you're looking at is most likely a Gti executive. These came with (in addition to the standard 505 Gti) leather seats (? drivers side height adjustable), two tone paint, and better looking front and rear bumpers. If it was me, i'd be looking for a series one Gti with a 5 speed - the executives were all automatic from memory.

nJm

Yes all 505 Executives were autos. The STI versions had velour seats, the GTi versions had dark blue leather. Most of them are the two-tone silver and grey, and they have nice big moulded bumpers (even the GTi just had the small black bumpers as per every series 1 505).

A few GTi Executives came in black and had brown leather.

The Gti Executive has an electric sunroof. These tend to play up with age, although can be made to work ok.

As mentioned above the STi version had the TRX (390mm) alloys, and the GTi Versions had the 15" alloys (both wheels look very similar).

They are probably the best looking 505. In Europe and America the only 505 to come with the two-tone paint and 'bodykit' that our Executive has was the 505 Turbo Injection. Just don't crash it as the bumpers are REALLY hard to find and very expensive when you do.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Just don't crash it as the bumpers are REALLY hard to find and very expensive when you do.
    Good point. I hadn't really thought about the rear bumper but as you indicated it is also unique to the Turbo Injection and Executive models.
    (pedants note: it may not be correct to refer to something as "unique" if it is fitted to two models rather than one, but if you could suggest a one word term to describe something only fitted to two models then let me know).

Dave
    DaveB likes this.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Not all execs are auto...all GTI Exec's were, but the STI's were not all auto!

Cheers
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Not all execs are auto...all GTI Exec's were, but the STI's were not all auto!

Cheers
    i'll second that... i have seen manual exceutives for sale

Tadpole

Hi all,

thanks for the response(s); I gave the executive the arse because the auto was too sluggish and it was about to blossom into a rusty mess. I did like the leather though.
    Instead I have just bought a 5-speed 505gti 1985 that has been reborn by the chaps at universe motors in richmond (melb). I reckon the electricky bits will be a pain but it feels like it will go forever.
    Let you know when something drops off it.

Cheers,

Will

Hi all,

thanks for the response(s); I gave the executive the arse because the auto was too sluggish and it was about to blossom into a rusty mess. I did like the leather though.
    Instead I have just bought a 5-speed 505gti 1985 that has been reborn by the chaps at universe motors in richmond (melb). I reckon the electricky bits will be a pain but it feels like it will go forever.
    Let you know when something drops off it.

Cheers,

Will
    That's where I bought my pug from

84 505 GTi - Sold to a friend... written off 3 months later

nJm

When I first bought my 505 I got it serviced there. I found them to be too expensive (something like $88 per hour?!?!) but the service was good. They were always friendly and helpful. I take it to Justin Fisher (in Balwyn, near corner of Burke Rd and Whitehorse Rd). He's a great guy and is one of the cheaper pug mechs out there, charging about $60 per hour (I think).

I agree the auto 2.2L 505's are a bit slow, but they feel a bit more effortless than my manual 2L 505. But I'll see if I still think this after I rebuild my carburetor
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by petermc505
    That's where I bought my pug from
    Did they look after you? I know $77ph inc GST is a bit rich but probably worth it if they're honest and know what they're doing.

Did they look after you? I know $77ph inc GST is a bit rich but probably worth it if they're honest and know what they're doing.
    The place is expensive, but they did look after me and they really seem to know their stuff.

84 505 GTi - Sold to a friend... written off 3 months later

Thread Information