405 interior fan noise (when fan selected off)
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 interior fan noise (when fan selected off)

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a beautiful '94 405 SRI after owning an '89 405 for some time. The upgrade was well worth the effort!

However I want to try to either stop or quiet down the interior fan (or something) which is very noticeable when the key is in the ignition and the engine hasn't been started.

Advertisement

The fan (or whatever it is) sounds like it is located in front of the front passengers feet.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to fix it?

I figure that if it is a fan my two options are to either stop the fan from operating when the engine is stopped or to replace or clean the fan and bushes.

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

405 fan.

Quote Originally Posted by '94 405 Fan
    Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a beautiful '94 405 SRI after owning an '89 405 for some time. The upgrade was well worth the effort!

However I want to try to either stop or quiet down the interior fan (or something) which is very noticeable when the key is in the ignition and the engine hasn't been started.

The fan (or whatever it is) sounds like it is located in front of the front passengers feet.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to fix it?

I figure that if it is a fan my two options are to either stop the fan from operating when the engine is stopped or to replace or clean the fan and bushes.

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

405 fan.
    The fan never actually stops, thus wears itself out. New fan.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Fair enough. Is the fan purely ventilation or will there be any serious consequences if I disconnect it?

The fan makes quite a bit of noise- gets a bit annoying.

BTW I just realised the irony of my user name and the subject of this post....
    Last edited by '94 405 Fan; 21st July 2004 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Addition

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by '94 405 Fan
    Fair enough. Is the fan purely ventilation or will there be any serious consequences if I disconnect it?

The fan makes quite a bit of noise- gets a bit annoying.

BTW I just realised the irony of my user name and the subject of this post....

to prolong it for a little while you can try some CRC2.26 on it and see how that goes but a new fan is something i can see in your future
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

Its not the cabin temperature sensor fan is it???

Turn the ignition on & stick your ear next to the little grill on the dash board just above & to the right of the glove box door.

If it is this, Prise the grill out, suck the fluff out with a hoover & squirt a drop of WD40 oil on the little fan.

PS, You do learn to ignore the nosie after a while.

I have also had something come through the vents ( had been parked under a tree ) and get tangled up in the fan. I ran the the motor flat out for a while and the noise disappeared.

Terry
    405 dt

The fan is easy to remove. Check it doesnt have a leaf or some grot in it.
    I was concerned about mine running all the time so I took it out to check. I cleaned it up and oiled the bearing felts (I cant remember the specifics as this was about 3 years ago) But it has never played up. It runs very slowly to keep the air moving to assist the climate control.
    If it is a bit noisy it may be running fast due to maybe the fan speed slide control playing up.??
    Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

I have a spare climate control fan, the little one in the dash and the ventilation fan also. See the post on s2 405 parts.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Default Fan noise

The same problem with my 505GTi. I can't see an easy way of removing the fan to lube it. I have drilled a small hole in the air intake to the fan and inserted the spray tube from a can of WD40 so that it stays there permanently. When the fan gets noisy I connect the aerosol can and give it a quick spray with the fan motor switched on. Does the trick for about a week. I guess this must be a "farmer-fix"!

Thread Information