405(UK)cooling fans
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405(UK)cooling fans

Hi all - just found your forum, i liked it so much i joined.
    only one of the two cooling fans operate, i have interchanged the relays but it makes no difference, are they wired so that both fans come on together or does one operate before the other, a few days ago the car did overheat and that was when i noticed only one fan working, is there any inline fuses to each fan, the fuse (F5 15a) on the main board is ok, thermostst has been changed, rad has been flushed and i am not losing coolant, any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry if this doen't make sense, its my first time, be gentle with a pom

Advertisement

rqms

I'm fairly sure one is designed to come on at 90C and the other at like 100C. I got to hear both at full glory when my cooling system was shot.

Thank you for not using twenty retarded smilies in your post.

Fellow Frogger!

Both fans are ment to come on together at the same speed.

There are 2 speeds, slow & fast.

It sounds like you have a blown fuse or a duff fan motor.

Tadpole

thanks for the replies, as for the fuses are there any other fuses apart from F5 on main board
    once again many thanks

rqms

If your car has the later type Bitron controller, the main fuses are located in the black box behind the l.h. headlight. The originals were 30 amps, the local dealer told me that Peugeot recommended replacing these with 40 amp fuses, as the 30 amp ones continually blew.

Terry
    405 dt

Fellow Frogger!

My 1995 405 with twin fans & aircon is still on the factory fitted 30 amp fuses.

It hasnt blown one yet.

hi to RQMS Try searching this forum for info on 405 cooling fans. There was an excellent discussion with some knowledgeable chappies recently on this subject which I forgot to bookmark.. Cheers Greg

Tadpole

Thanks to all of you that replied, sorry i didn't get back sooner but i play bowls and you wouldn't believe how many games i have played in the last few days, i found the 30a, fuses all checked ok, also found the post that GregS mentioned, not too sure if i fully understand it but i shall keep reading it until i do, if ever i get this fan to work i shall post the details, once again many thanks
    rqms

Fellow Frogger!

Its still sounding like a dead fan motor.

They are ment to run together at the same speed.

Have a look here at http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm

Click on electrical at the top of the page & then click on 306 cooling fans basic principals of operation in the list on the left hand side of the page, Its the same set up as the later 405s.

Tadpole

LeePower - thanks alot, i can at least now follow and meter each cable, but you are probably right m8, it looks like a duff motor, is there any easy way to get these fans out, or do you have to remove the rad to gain access? You have been a great help, thanks again
    rqms

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

The fans are in front of the rad, Take the grill off to get at them.

1 x phillips screw in both bottom corners of the grill & 1 x 10mm bolt in both top corners then unclip the bonnet safety catch from the grill, Just slide the black plastic clip ( If its still there ) & the grill lifts off.

Fellow Frogger!

Be very carefull because the fans can run WITHOUT the ignition key!

You need to check the electrical connections on the 3 green relays behind the grill, they should have a small clear plastic bag over each of them.

Get the hoover out & suck all the dead leaves & such of the front of the rad.

They cant run if you disconnect the battery. You can then apply power to the fan individually to check for a dead motor. Check also the 3? relays covered with plastic by the fans. I doubt that a fan motor would let go.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

I think its going to be a duff / dirty connection on one of the relays or those stupid round connector blocks behind the passenger side headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by LeePower
    I think its going to be a duff / dirty connection on one of the relays or those stupid round connector blocks behind the passenger side headlight.
    LeePower
    Its still sounding like a dead fan motor.
    Nothing like an each way bet hey
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

At the end of the day, its a Peugeot & we all know that French electrics will never be the best in the world

Tadpole

thanks for all your replies, i have set aside friday pm to tackle this problem, you have given me some starting points so i have a better chance of sorting it now i at least know where to start, thanks again
    rqms

Tadpole

Update on the cooling fans - cleaned and checked every connector i could find, finally took the motor out, am i right in assuming that with the motor out, if i put 12v across the 2 terminals the motor should rotate, if it should, mine don't and i reckon that is the problem, can i thank all you that have taken the time to assist me with this problem
    rqms

Fellow Frogger!

With 12 volt dc going in, the fans should spin very fast, Watch your fingers!

Stick another fan in & it sounds like your problem will be sorted, Trip to the scrappy then, All those Citroens & Peugeots to pick from, lol
    The strange thing about U.K. scrap yards is there is hardly any 405s in them, People dont seem to scrap them, But if your after 406 bits the yards are full of them

Tadpole

the motor didn't do anything with the 12v across the terminals, dropped it off to a m8 of mine who is going to get it checked out, the thing is this is the left hand fan, the one that has the constant 12v supply, by taking out the motor i cut the supply to the r/h fan, which i found out this morning when i went for run, so as a temp measure i have had to wire a manual switch across the one remaing fan connections, its not pretty but it works, i wish the cold weather would get here it would solve all my problems - lol

rqms

Fellow Frogger!

You know you could have just unplugged the brown 2 pin connector next to the thermostat & made the fan run all the time?

Tadpole

LeePower - ref brown plug - no i didn't m8, have finally got a new fan motor and everything appears to be normal, touch wood, you were right every breakers yard i went to were out of 405s, so had to get a new one through a local parts shop, 60, can i thank all who took the time and effort to assist me in this matter

rqms

Fellow Frogger!

Its a safety feature, If the temp sensor or the wires between the temp sensor & the Bitron unit & fans goes faulty, The fans should then run all the time.
    They will also run if the 5amp fuse in position 2 in the fuse box inside the car blows.

Thread Information