Mileage on 95 405SRi
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Mileage on 95 405SRi

New to forum. I'm considering buying a 95 405 SRi with 200k on the clock. I have never owned a Peugot and am a little concerned this mileage may be on the high side. What kind of mileage can one reasonably expect to get out of a 405 before it needs major work.Advise appreciated.

Advertisement

In many ways you're asking the length of a piece of string.
    How did it get the mileage, was it long hauls, round town, a combination of both? How regularly was it serviced, by who and at what intervals both time and distancewise?
    How was it driven? Little old lady style, little old lady with 17 year old grandson who was the local 'donut king', commercial traveller or family man with an 18 foot van he towed up to the mountains twice a year?
    As you can see, I'm not trying to be half smart but as with any used car, no history makes it impossible for anyone to even guess at the condition or potential pitfalls.
    Personally, to me 200K klms is a relatively low mileage for a French car in fact one of our members here I'm pretty sure has one of the previous models with around 800K klms on it (used commercially) as some kind of guide to potential mileage.
    A car of that age if driven to normal annual mileages should be looking at around 350K klms on the clock and I've little doubt that quite a few have.
    I have a couple of Cits here that have in excess of that reading and I would reckon they are in good condition with no signs of impending total wear out; by the same token, I also have one with about 110K klms on the clock that burns oil, so as I say, without records and history, you're potting in the dark. The oil burner incidentally, was a round town car owned by an older owner and was pampered.
    I'd suggest getting someone who knows Pugs to give it an inspection or alternatively givimg it a close inspection yourself and post the results back here; then we may be able to give you a more accurate opinion.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

My BX TRI has done 382,000 klms and uses negligable oil between it's 5000klm changes....

Apart from normal wearing parts like brakes pads, rear exhaust etc it's had no engine work excpet for regular timing belt / water pump and tensioner changes.

But due to poor LHM system maintence the suspension / sterring had caused some grief until it was all finally sorted.... Now ... it's a joy to drive.. under any circumstances.. given that it's now 16 years old with almost 400k on the clock it's a gem... and whoever bought it (assumign it was for sale of course) would be pretty well assured of low cost, trouble free motoring....

Bottom line.. what was done and how often during the past 200,000klms is the key... if you can't substantiate that... be cautious but certianly not put off totally without delving deeper...

As Al has said... how longs a piece of string....
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

When I bought my 405 SRDT it had 383k on it. It was a 94 model and had been serviced regularly, 10k services between 4 and 6 weeks apart. It had clocked up country miles and was in very good condition. If you were to cover the odometer you would think that it had less than 160k on it. As has been said before depends on the way it was looked after, and of course the spit factor. Read Alans post on Regular service = Premium Price. The guy sold his xantia for 74 quid because it had been neglected for 15k miles.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

1000+ Posts

Hi reilly,

Welcome to
    The XU family of engines as in the 405 are known as pretty bulletproof
    The 405SRi has the 92kw 2L 8 valve engine - the same engine used in the pre 1997 306XSi as well. From my searching it's the XU10J2. Searching this forum for XU10J2 only pulled up 9 threads and none show anything terrible.

I've moved this thread from Froggy Chat (for topics related to all French cars) to the Peugeot section where it's more likely to be found by future users searching the forum.

Derek

Tadpole

Default 95 405SRi Mileage

Thank you for your replies to my question on expected mileage from 405SRi.

Further research has indicated that servicing was carried out by main Puegot dealers at every recommended interval with the timing belt being replaced at 133,000 kms. The car was owned from new by a mature gentleman and the mileage is mostly city with the odd holiday run. Bodywork is in lovely condition as is the interior. Having read your replies regarding mileage and now knowing more about the cars history I feel it might be a good buy.

The car was traded on a new Rover and is now for sale at a used car yard. The asking price is $10k and negotiable. Any ideas on a realistic offer price ?

Thanks again for your comments.

Tadpole

I've not long bought a 94 405 SRi - so I hope this helps. Mine is also one previous owner, with a full Pug main dealer service history - 130k kms on the clock and that tallies with the service history. Needs a bit of work (service, tyres, brake pads, CD player...), some tlc (family car - they bought a 3.0-litre 406 as replacement) and a belt change, say $1500-$2000 all up. I paid just over $6k to a private seller.

10k is the market price, and what my stamp duty was based on (thieving b*stards) - look around or haggle. Have seen a few this side of the country for less than $8k.

Thread Information