'97 306 - auto gearbox probs?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default '97 306 - auto gearbox probs?

g'day, first time i've driven a peugeot was a test drive a couple of days ago and i'm close to purchasing it.

Advertisement

my question is, do these cars (automatics) naturally gear down in a way that may feel a little unusual to non peugeot drivers? ie. does it sound as if it slips out of gear( only when gearing/slowing down), however that's just the way it drives.

would love some insight on this

Icon10

nanz. Welcome to aussiefrogs. There is so much help and info here its not funny.
    I have driven a 306 automatic sedan once and im pretty sure all french autos are a bit odd in the gearchange. Especially the auto adaptive ones.
    The gearboxes do normally change down esp when they go down hills. It is a bit weird for non french drivers but it doesnt take long to get used to i think.
    I have driven hondas and other asain brands and i find them weird.
    Mercedes is another story all together.....

Tadpole

cheers for such a quick reply mate.

sounds like it's just something i have to get used to?

Hi Nanz,

I'd say from what you describe that you are noticing "engine braking" - as the car slows, the car changes back down through the gears (well, that's my understanding of the phenomenon). Once you get used to it you won't look back - I'm so used to it now I can use the engine to do most of the braking and just use the actual brakes at the last moment, saving wear and tear. Drives me nuts when I drive my fiance's Fairmont, which doesn't have it.

It's basically the equivalent of changing down through the gears to slow down in a manual.

Hope this helps,
    Penny

1000+ Posts

nanz,

Welcome to

penelope_s has explained how it works perfectly. I think it's a good feature myself, although some people don't like it. It is something you get used to soon enough. People who don't like it are used to driving autos such as Commodores and Falcons which try to get to 4th gear ASAP and stay there.

I've moved this thread to the Peugeot section which is where it really should be

Derek

Icon10

Weeeee Penelope's back

The down change is a great feature, you'll get used to it. I remember following a Com/Falc thing down the range from Maleny, brake lights on all the way down, we were driving our C5 and I didn't touch the brakes until close to the bottom (we had to stop) we coasted at a comfortable 80klm perfect for the conditions. Next best thing to a manual in that situation

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Weeeee Penelope's back

The down change is a great feature, you'll get used to it. I remember following a Com/Falc thing down the range from Maleny, brake lights on all the way down, we were driving our C5 and I didn't touch the brakes until close to the bottom (we had to stop) we coasted at a comfortable 80klm perfect for the conditions. Next best thing to a manual in that situation

Cheers
    Chris
    (That was when the copper with the speed gun stepped out in front of him with the STOP sign.)

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I think my (96) 306 used to do that, but I found myself doing all the down-shifting with the auto box, anyway. And that was why I went back to a manual ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information