GTi6 engagement problems..
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GTI145

Thread: GTi6 engagement problems..

Default GTi6 engagement problems..

last night i was driving home and then totally out of the ordinary the gearbox like locked up, and i couldnt down gear or even select a gear, it was like the synchros were not lined up but for every gear, it was ok when i was gearing up but on down gearing it was giving me a serious head ache, it could be a linkage problem between the gearstick and the box but when the car is off it drops into the gears perfectly so i figured that if it was a loose linkage it would do it all the time, it only did it when it was warmed up though, anyone experianced this before???

the car is nearing 100k now so i was expecting stuff to go wrong, its natural but i couldnt even drive it i had to stop and try to get it into 1st for like five minutes, it may also have something to do with the clutch....

regards

Roman

Advertisement

When was the last time you changed the gearbox oil? Similarly what condition is your clutch cable in and when was the last time you changed the clutch. I noticed a huge difference when I changed the gearbox oil as these gearboxes do have trouble changing from time to time. Similarly with the clutch cable. If you can't depress the clutch pedal far enough you will have trouble changing gear. These gearboxes do have a shifting problem that seems to come and go as it pleases.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

yeah it seemed like the clutch wasnt in all the way but it was as far as i could get it in, so i will look at the clutch cable and clutch itself. as far as the gearbox fluid, i dont know i havent checked it, everything happened in the dark and i gave the car to dad this morning to show mechanic near his work, just so see. but anyway the car is really annoying me at the moment. i love it to death but god damn its tempermental

i had a similar problem but i couldnt put it in reverse

this was pretty soon after i had changed the clutch cable after it snapped

this only really happened once or twice and havent had any similar problems for a while

1000+ Posts

If you turn the engine off, can you change between the gears? If that's a yes, it's probably the clutch.

Gearbox oil is important in these boxes too... I can't remember the *exact* oil, but it's Neo brand, and it made a big difference to the smoothness of my box (which is different, albiet related).

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by evolvetoGTi6
    yeah it seemed like the clutch wasnt in all the way but it was as far as i could get it in, so i will look at the clutch cable and clutch itself. as far as the gearbox fluid, i dont know i havent checked it, everything happened in the dark and i gave the car to dad this morning to show mechanic near his work, just so see. but anyway the car is really annoying me at the moment. i love it to death but god damn its tempermental
    btw the cost of replacing the 6-speed gearbox in the gti6 is about 7 grand if it was to go totally cactus Probably worth taking it to a pug mechanic to have a good look at.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Sounds like the clutch to me, too.

rek

When I got my clutch cable replaced it was tough as anything to change gears. What actually happened was that the person who reinstalled it didn't adjust it properly. After it was adjusted, the gear changing was a lot smoother (well as smooth a change as a GTi-6 gearbox can get )

I think next service I might try one of these boutique gearbox oils to see how much better it makes things.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah sounds like a cluth cable

On the other hand for smoother gear changes try using some Nulon G70 its about $12 and makes a hell of a smooth gear change.

Roman u fag...maybe if u didnt drive a gay french car then these things would not go wrong

Go put Redline Gbox oil in ur car i just put it in mine its good
    I gotta go put the redline engine oil in this week too
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Yep, Redline is a good product. Lubing the clutch cable is a good idea.

We eventually had to replace the entire clutch after it was acting up like this though.

1000+ Posts

Do we really need this WRCPUG? Pull your head in.
    Derek

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Roman is good at lubing up his areshole so i think hell be a expert at lubing up his clutch cable

mate please edit this or i shall delete it

thank you
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Im sorry Mr serious ('s)
    Ill just give roman crap in person next time i see him.
    Consider my post edited.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

hahaha, alex man dont whore my thread you weiner

Thanks peeps, it was the clutch cable, but now there is a new one in place and the pug is beautiful again, they also gave me a new battery and earth strap which has fixed the other probs i was having, yet to see whether or not the idling problem still occurs but i doubt it will, the only thing that could have been doing it was the stepper motor on the inlet, so they said to keep an eye on it but it was probably to do with the electrical probs i was having.

Hey roman next time i see u do u mind if i feel ur gearbox engaging..like the synchros and stuff? Cause i want to compare to mine...i dont think mine is as smooth as its meant to be esp 1st gear

Also can i see how much ur engine flexes as i think i might need to get sum Group N mounts as my rubber ones just flex too much.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

yeah cool, let me know when you wanna hook up...and we can do the banana dance yipppeeeeeeeee!!1

what, is it always a pig to engage or just when it is still cold? you know they are a bitch of a box in the cold.

On the GTi-6,the RHD design puts the clutch cable right passed the exhaust manifold,where it binds up the internals of the cable causing a heavy clutch feel.If your clutch is heavy and not engaging correctly try replacing your cable.

If you can't select gears,check your link-rods on your selector shaft - these are little brass rods about 10cm long with small ball joints at either end that bend or wear out.
    These rods are very important in gear selection,they all link up to a main ball-selector lever.This lever has a habit of bending or fracturing,it also has an inner and outer bush on the base which are plastic - these crack!
    There is another selector arm where your clutch cable joins the gear-box - this also bends.

These rods,lever and the bush's are all cheap.Replacement will improve gear selection or fix any selection problems.
    Cheers

GTI145
    Last edited by GTI145; 24th July 2004 at 02:03 AM.
    TrinityJayOne likes this.
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

Thread Information