s16 handling issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default s16 handling issues

Ive been niticing in the last few weeks my back end seems to have a mind of its own, like last night goin through a roundabout hit the gas just a little and the whole car spun around.

Ive never experienced anything like this before would anyone be able to enlighten me on this.

All tyres are set 37psi

Cheers

Advertisement

How old are your tyres?

hmmmm...maybe a little bit more elaboration.....how fast were you going??
    I find my s16 to be quite composed and the only thing that freaked me out was the 4wheel steer KICKING in on one occasion (but I ve got it figured out now, definitely different to my old mx6 4ws)...The only thing that comes to my mind is that tyres may be getting on a little bit (compound has gone hard).....How is the wear on the tyres? ..even?....

cheers

dino

It's rare for an s16 to lose the ass-end on a roundabout, unless you were going ridiculously fast. Even when the back-end does let go, it usually only gives a little kick then pulls back into line. If the car spun around, then I'd say either the tyres are worn, or there was oil or some other slippery substance on the road.

Fellow Frogger!

The rear tyres are aroound 11 months old and prob got around 30% tread left on them, they are yoki es100,s.

I was probably sitting at about 60km at the apex mind you this is a sort off a big roundabout.

Yokos are known for being a bit vague at the limit and let go suddenly, rather the progressively. How have these tyres performed at the limit in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by immy s16
    Ive been niticing in the last few weeks my back end seems to have a mind of its own, like last night goin through a roundabout hit the gas just a little and the whole car spun around.

Ive never experienced anything like this before would anyone be able to enlighten me on this.

All tyres are set 37psi

Cheers
    The thing that confuses me is the part where you said you 'hit the gas just a little and the whole car spun around'. I can understand if that happened on a rear wheel drive or even 4wd car due to power oversteer, but not in a front wheel drive. If you hit the gas in a front wheel drive, it should actually help the rears grip more, and lessen the grip at the front..so it should actually have understeered if anything. The only way to oversteer in a front wheel drive car is by doing the exact opposite of hitting the gas, that is, either lifting off the gas or hitting the brakes in the corner. That's why actually hitting the gas is the best way to correct any 'lift-off oversteer' in a front wheel drive as the front wheels literally pull the car out of the oversteer. I hope that makes sense the way I've explained it.

Can you remember whether you did lift off the gas or anything like that?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

The yoki's have always perforemd well it just maybe that they are gettin to the end off their life

jastanis thats what freaked me out it was just like a rear wheel drive car i didnt left of the gas to provoke and left off overtsteer just wanted to get out of the corner a little quciker and the back end started to come to the front.

I waiting fir some new shocks to arrive hopefully they will be hear soon, it may be a combination of the yoki's gettin a bit old and the shocks getting old too since the car has done 186k on the original shocks.

Was it dry or wet? Seems very strange, I agree. Let us know how the new shocks are. I'm surprised to hear a Yokie at 30% left would be handling like that.

Fellow Frogger!

Ok think i figgured it out poped open the boot today and there was 2 boxes off water in there prob weight around the 25kg mark that would off been sliding around.

I checked the tyre pressure today and teh front right was at 31psi and the left rear was at 33psi.

May have just been those few factors that contibuted to funny handling.

Just came back from a trip up Mt Nebo and the car handled it fine.

Thanks for the help guys will keep you posted as to what i think of the handling after the shocks are on.

Cheers

I'm surprised you didn't hear it sliding around. I guess that explains it, though 25 kg still sounds a little low a weight to cause the rear to come around when you didn't lift off mid corner. Before you really go hammering around, it might be worthwhile just getting it up on a hoist and checking the subframe bushes that make the whole passive rear steer thing work, to make sure there isn't any obvious damage.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah will be getting all suspesion items looked at when I put the new shocls in hopefully they will be here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    hmmmm...maybe a little bit more elaboration.....how fast were you going??
    I find my s16 to be quite composed and the only thing that freaked me out was the 4wheel steer KICKING in on one occasion (but I ve got it figured out now, definitely different to my old mx6 4ws)...The only thing that comes to my mind is that tyres may be getting on a little bit (compound has gone hard).....How is the wear on the tyres? ..even?....

cheers

dino
    dino - s16 has 4wsteer?

jimmy16 - i've had the back out on my s16 a couple of times, more so deliberately tho and one not so deliberate time around a sweeping right hander in the wet
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jumpin_pug
    dino - s16 has 4wsteer?
    its not 4ws like an old honda or mx5 from memory its what they call a passive steer. there is no power steering line running to the back wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpin_pug
    dino - s16 has 4wsteer?
    The rear swing arms are on some clever suspension bushes which allow them to yaw under reasonable cornering load and help turn the rear into the corner. It's actually called passive rear steer.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Thread Information