what does GTi stand for??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default what does GTi stand for??

Interesting article in the Herlad-Sun today about what the letters after model names stand for. Eg; GT stand for Grand Touring/tourismo. HOwever, they never mentioned what GTi stands for. Any ideas?? Is it Grand Touring somethingorother?? Just curious.

Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

GTi=Grand Touring Injection

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

But then you have the difference between GTi and GTI (as found on a couple of Golf models).....

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

i second Grand Touring Injection/Injected

what about Grand Touring International??

WLB

GT stands for Gran Tourisimo, or Grand Touring in English. The term was coined by the Italians. Might have been Alfa or maybe Lancia; I can't remember. (Help required from you Italian car enthusiasts).

It was originally applied to cars that were powerful enough, fast enough, big enough, comfortable enough, etc., for long distance touring so there have been plenty of cars since that don't technically fit the bill. Some too small for much luggage; others too uncomfortable for hours of driving.

The i has been added by others since and as has been pointed out, stands for injection or injected. Whether the i is upper or lower case is just the choice of the car maker.

Pontiac had the GTO (and again with the Monaro), and if my memory serves me correctly stood for Gran Tourisimo Omologato. In English, Grand Touring Holomolgated. A car that is homologated is prepared to a formula for racing. (A bit of a stretch of the imagination for the Pontiac).

Warwick.
    Last edited by WLB; 17th July 2004 at 05:31 PM.

So one a peugeot 505 STI, what would the STI stand for? On Subarus it tells you on the badge and on the foglight covers from memory!

Cya Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

ST was the model designation and you guessed it the i was injected.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

WLB

Most of them are just made up by the marketing departments. Some have their origins in abreviations.
    DL = de luxe (French for of luxury)
    GL = grand luxe (big luxury)
    SL = super luxe (above luxury)
    (Who were they kidding with most of the cars these have been applied to?).

The Falcon GTHO was Grand Touring, Handling Options.
    (You must remember that back then handling was optional with Fords).

Some even became names. The Honda Civic's name came from the company's terminology for its head design.
    Controlled Vortex Combustion Chamber. It was their CVCC engine.

Warwick.

Subaru's STI stands for something like Subaru Technica Internationale. Not sure there.

Warwick, Gran Turismo is an Italian language name for a car, as you say. Prolly been going 70 years. I can't remember who actually used it before Alfa did in the 105 GTV( V for Veloce) in the 60's, but I'm sure someone did.

WLB

I'll look it up when I get home Warwick.
    Warwick.
    (Can you get an echo on the net?)

PS. Might be an interesting exercise to compile a list of the most unlikely/undeserving cars to wear a GT badge.
    Unfortunatley the Torana Brabham wouldn't count because it didn't have a GT badge. Wouldn't mind one actually. The car would be worth sixpence and the Brabham badge, quite a lot.

Suzuki Swift GTI???

Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Unfortunatley the Torana Brabham wouldn't count because it didn't have a GT badge. Wouldn't mind one actually. The car would be worth sixpence and the Brabham badge, quite a lot.
    We used to have a HB Torana - Jack Brabham Special. I think all that was different from the standard HB was the woodgrain paneling on the dash and an automatic gearbox. Oh and the badge! The thing was very gutless indeed.

I'll back up GTi as standing for Grand Tourismo Injection. Was "created" by VW for the Mk1 Golf GTi. But unfortunately (for VW) they never trademaked the name. It's since popped up just about everywhere.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

1000+ Posts

Some even became names. The Honda Civic's name came from the company's terminology for its head design.
    Controlled Vortex Combustion Chamber. It was their CVCC engine.
    Wasn't it Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion?

As for 'GTi', you guys a dreaming. It means nothing except a marketing term. 'GT' became a sort of standard thing for hotter cars which no longer meant Gran Turismo by the late sixties (like, Cortina GT), and the 'I' was added by VW in the days when injection = high tech. Then it became generic for hot hatches once Peugeot used it. I'm sure the 205 GTi isn't designed for Berlin to London in a day, unlike the Mini 1275GT which is a great continental cruiser...

Stuey

....yeah...I think GTi has become a generic term (because of the golf) to describe hot hatches..ie..corolla GTi, 205 GTi, suzukiGTi.....be silly to call a new monaro GTi......GT by itself normally described more grand tourers originally...hence a skyline GT-R (even though injected)(hatch is referred to as GTiR)...then there were the ferraris GTees, hell even holden used that GTS with believe it a 4 door car...GTHO for the 4 door falcon (high output).....charger liked R/T (road and track) etc etc....more marketing than anything....So although in pug 205 GTI...yes i believe that GTi stands for grand tourismo injected(i prefer GONE TOTALLY INSANE)...BUT one could hardly call the 205 a GRAND TOURER...this term would be more appropriate to an injected DS or a turbo CX........
    Different manufacturers choose differnt meanings...ie SL in mercedes originally stood for SUPER LIGHT.....although with some models one could easily say S is for SALOON....and L for LONG wheelbase....What dores it stand for in Commodore SLE?????....because they sure as hell werent injected back than (E sometimes stands for injection) ie.mercedes 280SE was injected 280S was carb'ed...
    Automotive companies love the GT terminology...hell even VOLVO had GT (242) 2 doors and 200cc more (2.3 instead of 2.1)...ohhh you got the stripes and the GT dash and steering wheel....blah blah blah...these days they seem to preffer the R....geezzz volvo s gone a long way but surely not R for RACING.
    I could have sworn that the first golf GTIs werent even injected...
    ...am probably wrong

cheers

dino

ps...ther must be site that lists the terminology behind all these abreviations...hell I think I might have posted one only a few months back...an automotive terms dictionary or other....

VTEC???
    VVTi???
    Do they stand for anything???

rek

Quote Originally Posted by 30780Y
    VTEC???
    VVTi???
    Do they stand for anything???
    VTEC = Variable Timing/lift Electronic Control (there are actually three different forms of VTEC -- one each optimised for fuel economy, low emissions and performance -- with suffixes I cant remember, plus the i-VTEC which is basically the same in function as Toyota's VVTL-i)
    VVTi = Variable Valve Timing - intelligent
    VVTL-i = Variable Valve Timing and Lift - intelligent

Mitsubishi's one is the most self-aggrandising..

MIVEC = Mitsubishi Innovative Variable (something) Electronic Control

(I think the V key on my keyboard is worn out now)

Speaking of car terms, it's funny just how much the German car industry likes to name things "-tronic".

PS. Might be an interesting exercise to compile a list of the most unlikely/undeserving cars to wear a GT badge.
    Daihatsu Sirion GTvi (or something like that) ?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Variable Timing Electronically Controlled???
    Saaaaddd...I can t remeber considering I worked for honda when it just came out...
    I remeber the early Integras with their DOHC logo on the sides....geeesss had these guys ever heard of fiats or lancias....???

VVTi.....not sure ...i ve been known to dislike toyotas....maybe Variable Valve Timing (technology??) Injected... COULD HARDLY BE CARBURATED????

dino

ahhh...rek....beat me to it... so I is for intelligent....interesting.....maybe it should mean INSANE revs to achieve power....which inderectly interprets WE NOT CARE ABOUT TORQUE.....or WE NOT BELIEVE: THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES,,,,,,

cheers

dino

ahhh here it is.....

http://www.100megsfree4.com/dictionary/car-dicg.htm

cheers

dino

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    ....Different manufacturers choose differnt meanings...ie SL in mercedes originally stood for SUPER LIGHT.....although with some models one could easily say S is for SALOON....and L for LONG wheelbase....What dores it stand for in Commodore SLE?????....because they sure as hell werent injected back than (E sometimes stands for injection) ie.mercedes 280SE was injected 280S was carb'ed...

I could have sworn that the first golf GTIs werent even injected...
    ...am probably wrong....
    Yeah, the 'E' only applies to Germany so the Commodore doesn't qualify - 'einspritz' = injected. Holden probably picked it up from Opel who used E's in their models, like the Manta GTE and I think they even used SL/E.

I think SL stands for Sports Light in Merc land. You're right though, on other models L is for Long, also on BM's such as the 3.0iL And on Vauxhalls it's the base model...

The first Golf GTI had Bosch K-Jetronic.

The interesting one is going to be the new M-B Grand Sports Touring, which actually has a "GST" badge...

Stuey

G.T.i = Grande Tourismo Internationale or Grand Touring International
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

The Golf GTI is considered to be the icon of sporty compact vehicles. Not only that: The letters GTI have become the symbol of a complete class of vehicles and the epitome of compact handling dynamics. Now Volkswagen presents at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt the next stage of evolution for this icon of driving pleasure: A Golf GTI concept of the fifth generation. It personifies the sheer culture of the GTI philosophy. Powered by a completely new FSI turbo engine with 147 kW / 200 hp, the two door GTI is independent like never before and closes, both conceptionally as well as visually, the circle to the legendary founding vision of Grand Tourisme Injection: The Golf GTI of the year 1976.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...kswagen/1.html

....sleeeep dino sleeeeep.....

ok, scince i own a 405 sri, i have to ask the inevitable, what does sri stand for? it isnt on the site

In case anyone cares, the ST on Fords, like ST170 and ST220 mean "Sports Technologies". It's the divison of Ford that made the engines. Sounds naff, I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information