STI sounds of doom.
  • Register
  • Help

Default STI sounds of doom.

Was travelling home from Taree this morning and i have developed some sort of vibration, noise what ever..

Basically.. i haven't noticed a dramatic loss of power, or smell anything more, or for that fact can see anything leaking from anywhere.. But up around 3000 in any gear and below that under load..i have this vibration that easilly over comes the usuall Air noise leaking in from the front door..

i mean realy loud..

This wackawackawackawacka only appears on load.. and only when engine warm.. and completly dissapears whilst throttle clossed crusizing down a hill. Happans out of gear and with both clutch in and out

Advertisement

Nearly sounds as if the injectors are firing into a tin bucket if at all possible. lol. or that the valves are playing a game of rugby heatbutting each other consistantly..

Sounds as if originating somewhere near the exhaust manifold, so before i take everying of and have a poke around anyone have a ruff idea what this may be..

someoen mentioned that the fly wheel supports can get loose and wack against the housing????? but i like my exhaust manifold leak a bit better.. lol

you lot recon that all she be??? "whimper"

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Could you be lucky enough for it to be a leaking exhaust manifold gasket?
    I did one on my CX that I swore was a piston!!
    If it does it whhen stationary, invest in an engine stehoscope from SuperCheap for about $15; worth their weight in gold. If it's a manifold or flange gasket, a piece of hose held to the ear will find it when placed near the leak. In the case of the CX it was a hair crack on a pipe associated with the anti-pollution crap and one I did on BX was a hair crack in the actual manifold gasket where it sits between the face of the manifold and the exhaust port.
    Don't panic just yet!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Could you be lucky enough for it to be a leaking exhaust manifold gasket?
    invest in an engine stehoscope from SuperCheap for about $15; worth their weight in gold. Don't panic just yet!!
    Alan S
    Geez - an engine stehoscope from SuperCheap, I was poking around SuperCheap last week & never saw one of those!!
    I would love one, are they on 'special order' or something?
    So many projects - so little time.

Take a look in the area where they usually keep the tension wrenches, oil filter removers, pullers etc and they are usually always hanging up on the wall on a blue & yellow cardboard backing with plastic over. Packet is about a foot long X 4 - 5 inches wide. One of the handiest tools I have.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    Was travelling home from Taree this morning and i have developed some sort of vibration, noise what ever..

Basically.. i haven't noticed a dramatic loss of power, or smell anything more, or for that fact can see anything leaking from anywhere.. But up around 3000 in any gear and below that under load..i have this vibration that easilly over comes the usuall Air noise leaking in from the front door..

i mean realy loud..

This wackawackawackawacka only appears on load.. and only when engine warm.. and completly dissapears whilst throttle clossed crusizing down a hill. Happans out of gear and with both clutch in and out

Nearly sounds as if the injectors are firing into a tin bucket if at all possible. lol. or that the valves are playing a game of rugby heatbutting each other consistantly..

Sounds as if originating somewhere near the exhaust manifold, so before i take everying of and have a poke around anyone have a ruff idea what this may be..

someoen mentioned that the fly wheel supports can get loose and wack against the housing????? but i like my exhaust manifold leak a bit better.. lol

you lot recon that all she be??? "whimper"
    Bowie,
    Is it a sedan or a wagon?
    When I first got my 505SR wagon, one of the vibration dampers on the torque tube/rear gearbox mount was missing, it had broken and fallen off. With this missing it caused a horrible vibration like a drumming sound in the cabin at speeds over about 80kms and lessened a little over this. When replaced it made a big diffrence. I am not sure if the sedans have these monuts, or if they are only fitted to automatic boxes. Worth a look, there should be 2 rectangular blocks of rubber at the rear of the gearbox facing at about 45 degrees to the tailshaft. The other thing I'd check iss the rear gearbox mount, asthe rubber mount could be broken.
    Good luck
    Chris.

Cheers guys...

Will do..

Its quite embaracing to drive around at the moment .. sounds louder and noisier then anything!!!!

So much for the Limo Spec 505 at the moment..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information