205 Gti - Battery Light
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! Justin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lugarno, Sydney
    Posts
    236

    Default 205 Gti - Battery Light

    Hi All,

    Advertisement


    My 205 tonight had the battery light come on as bright as can be. This was with the head lights and fan on.

    I turned the fan and lights off and the battery light was still there but only 1/2 a bright.

    I've checked the alternator belt and while it looks like it needs replacing... it is still intact and tight.

    How do I determine if it's the alternator or battery?

    tnx
    Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,498

    Default

    It's almost certainly the alternator; a diode has probably packed in I think.

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin B
    Hi All,

    My 205 tonight had the battery light come on as bright as can be. This was with the head lights and fan on.

    I turned the fan and lights off and the battery light was still there but only 1/2 a bright.

    I've checked the alternator belt and while it looks like it needs replacing... it is still intact and tight.

    How do I determine if it's the alternator or battery?

    tnx
    Justin
    It won't be the battery. Measure the voltage at battery terminals while it's running. It should be 13.8 - 14.4 if the alternator is charging correctly.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,498

    Default

    Geez Peter, that post popping up so quickly scared me!

    Just qualifying what I've posted, above. If the light just came on suddenly, it's commonly a diode, but if it's been glowing dull or off and on for a while, it could be bad cable connections between alt. and battery, or alternator brushes. I jumped to the conclusion that it was sudden though...

    Has the car been welded with an arc/mig lately?

    Stuey

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Decca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Light coming on under load indicates poor regulation. Possibly diode/s in alternater or the regulator, dont know if yours is internal or external to the alternator.
    First check charging voltage as PeterT suggested.
    You said the belt is tight but looks like it needs replacing??
    Check by twisting the belt to see if the belt is not cracking or separating underneath. Heavy load on the alternator can cause belt to slip

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! Justin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lugarno, Sydney
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    It's almost certainly the alternator; a diode has probably packed in I think.
    Hi Stuey,

    The light used to glow slightly (very slightly) when the lights were on and the fan... now it is bright.

    2nd question : What is a Diode?

    3rd Question : Can these be overhauled or is it R & R. If R & R how much and where from.

    thanks
    Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! Justin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lugarno, Sydney
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Decca
    Light coming on under load indicates poor regulation. Possibly diode/s in alternater or the regulator, dont know if yours is internal or external to the alternator.
    First check charging voltage as PeterT suggested.
    You said the belt is tight but looks like it needs replacing??
    Check by twisting the belt to see if the belt is not cracking or separating underneath. Heavy load on the alternator can cause belt to slip

    The Belt is split.. that I can assure you.. I've purchased 2 belts.. both the wrong size or width...

    I think I'm going to have to goto Auto france and get a belt...

    As for a multimeter.. I dont have one.. I'll pick one up tommorow.. what do I set it too to check?

    Thanks
    Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Justin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lugarno, Sydney
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quick update.

    the light is 1/2 aglow with all the anncilleries off... when I reve the engine.. the light dissappears (well.. almost.. there is a faint .. very faint glow)...

    the interior light gets noticably brighter when reved.

    Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,498

    Default

    Howdy Justin,

    A diode is sort of a one way switch which allows current to flow through it one way . An alternator produces alternating current (AC) which goes both ways (oo-er!); there are a number of diodes in the alternator that effectively make the current direct current (DC) which is what's required for the electrical system on your car. It's a tiny thing like a transistor, about 5mm across.

    The diodes are usually replaced in a 'pack' - a diode pack - at the same time as reconditioning the rest of the alternator. I've done my own, but I don't recommend it unless you know what your doing, or are a good guesser like me...

    There's a set of diagnostic tests for telling exactly what's causing the lower voltage. If you want me to dig them out and tell you, tell me.

    Stuey

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Justin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lugarno, Sydney
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Hi Stuey,

    Got a friend that is going to help... so hopfully it will be ok... told me to replace the belt.. but said that I'd only be doing it because the old belt is knakkeered.

    It's been good timing as I've got my brothers car for a few days.. so I'm in a position not to hurry

    I'll let you know how I go.

    Justin

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Howdy Justin,

    A diode is sort of a one way switch which allows current to flow through it one way . An alternator produces alternating current (AC) which goes both ways (oo-er!); there are a number of diodes in the alternator that effectively make the current direct current (DC) which is what's required for the electrical system on your car. It's a tiny thing like a transistor, about 5mm across.

    The diodes are usually replaced in a 'pack' - a diode pack - at the same time as reconditioning the rest of the alternator. I've done my own, but I don't recommend it unless you know what your doing, or are a good guesser like me...

    There's a set of diagnostic tests for telling exactly what's causing the lower voltage. If you want me to dig them out and tell you, tell me.

    Stuey
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts cam85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bondi
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    I Reckon its your alternator. Mine did the same thing. Light would come on then if you rev the engine it kinda goes out then you turn the lights on and it gets brighter. It will need new bushes ide say. You can get it reconed for abot 160(mine cost that) with warrenty.That includes bushed barings the lot. The even repainted mine. Peugeot quoted me 650 for a new one from memory.
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! Decca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Justin
    If new belt doesnt fix it , goes as Cam85 suggested and get a reco'd one.
    It should give you no grief and the warranty is added bonus.
    Hopefully you will fix it soon as your battery is probably not getting a good charge and winter is when the battery is tested due to cold weather reducing capacity
    As for the Multimeter...Buy a Digital (as opposed to the old analog needle type) they start from about $20 at Dick Smith etc . they are fairly forgiving and robust as they are autoranging ( dont have to set the voltage range, excepting whether AC or DC) and doesnt matter which way the leads are connected when measuring DC as the display will indicate polarity. Being a multimeter they can check resistance ( handy for checking a fuse or globe) as well as DC and Ac voltage and currant and some even have a diode checker and other features for when you get further down the track.

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! Justin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lugarno, Sydney
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Hi Decca (and anyone else),

    Any idea how I can get to the locking nut/bolt of the alternator? I can get a 13mm spanner onto it.. but everything is in the road and I can't swing it..

    Is there a trick too it? otherwise it means I've got to take the radiator out to get at the bolt.

    Thanks
    Justin

    P.s I'm not talking about the tensioner bolt thingy, I'm talking about the bolt that is on the swing arm that locks the alternator into place..
    Thasnk

    Quote Originally Posted by Decca
    Justin
    If new belt doesnt fix it , goes as Cam85 suggested and get a reco'd one.
    It should give you no grief and the warranty is added bonus.
    Hopefully you will fix it soon as your battery is probably not getting a good charge and winter is when the battery is tested due to cold weather reducing capacity
    As for the Multimeter...Buy a Digital (as opposed to the old analog needle type) they start from about $20 at Dick Smith etc . they are fairly forgiving and robust as they are autoranging ( dont have to set the voltage range, excepting whether AC or DC) and doesnt matter which way the leads are connected when measuring DC as the display will indicate polarity. Being a multimeter they can check resistance ( handy for checking a fuse or globe) as well as DC and Ac voltage and currant and some even have a diode checker and other features for when you get further down the track.
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! Decca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin B
    Hi Decca (and anyone else),

    Any idea how I can get to the locking nut/bolt of the alternator? I can get a 13mm spanner onto it.. but everything is in the road and I can't swing it..

    Is there a trick too it? otherwise it means I've got to take the radiator out to get at the bolt.

    Thanks
    Justin

    P.s I'm not talking about the tensioner bolt thingy, I'm talking about the bolt that is on the swing arm that locks the alternator into place..
    Thasnk

    Hmm... 'tensioner bolt thingy'??? I think you're referring to the slotted bracket that secures one side of the the alternator and tensions the belt.

    anyway... I usually use a socket with a selection of Bars/universal joints/handles that give me access to the nut/bolt head. Often slightly loosening all bolts that hold the alternator will make removing other bolts easier

    good luck and watch for skinned knuckles

    Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

    Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

  15. #15
    Member MayheM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cheltenham, Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    59

    Default

    If you get the front drivers side on a jack... Take the wheel off... at the bottom of the wheel arch there is a removable cover (may have to get under the car to screw it off.) Once that is off, you should have pretty good access to the alternater and it's bolts through the wheel arch.
    MayheM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •