405 timing
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 405 timing

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    401

    Default 405 timing

    does anyone have any suggestions for advancing the timing on the series 2 405sri. i was told that advencing by ont tooth on the cam pully is about 6 degrees and on the crank belt is about 12 degrees.
    could i just make a new off set key for the crank pully?
    i do have to off set this in a clockwise direction don't i?

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    does anyone have any suggestions for advancing the timing on the series 2 405sri. i was told that advencing by ont tooth on the cam pully is about 6 degrees and on the crank belt is about 12 degrees.
    could i just make a new off set key for the crank pully?
    i do have to off set this in a clockwise direction don't i?
    I think one tooth is more like 16 degrees (crank)! You can either redrill the pin in another place, make an offset pin or make an adjustable pulley. The later is a little more work, but more worthwhile if you're going to mess around with it.

    I made mine so that the set up pin is still used for the std. position or 0, then it's +/- from there.

    Are you hoping for bit more low end torque?

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    401

    Default

    yes low end torque is what i'm after.

    i don't suppose you make an 8v cam?

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    yes low end torque is what i'm after.

    i don't suppose you make an 8v cam?
    Absolutely. Is your's the high compression 2L, 10.4:1?

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Absolutely. Is your's the high compression 2L, 10.4:1?
    Is this a motorkhana car?

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    401

    Default

    i'm not sure on the compression ratio off hand, but it was the very first of the 2L motors, build date 11/93. and yes it is a motorkhana car with the intention to hillclimb.

    by the way, anyone out there know anything about adjustable lower control arms for the 405?

    and banana

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    i'm not sure on the compression ratio off hand, but it was the very first of the 2L motors, build date 11/93. and yes it is a motorkhana car with the intention to hillclimb.

    by the way, anyone out there know anything about adjustable lower control arms for the 405?

    and banana
    Best mod for motorkhana is to fit 13" SI wheels on the front, with 175/65/13 tyres. This will lower the gearing considerably and give you heaps more torque. I worked it out at approx. 11%. The equivalent of changing the diff from 4.06:1 to 4.5:1. I know a chap who does this with his 205 GTi, in the State rounds. He's ultra competitive.

    Even with the 185/60/14 205 GTi combo, you'd be 7.5% lower than the std. setup on an SRI.

    If it is the high compression engine, I have a grind that will work perfectly. It most likely is. Does it require 95 octane minimum?
    Last edited by PeterT; 15th July 2004 at 02:00 PM.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    401

    Default

    at the moment i run the stock 185/65-14's i think they are, though i am in need of a new set of tyres and am going to run low profiles on 15" mi16 wheels for the road and run low profile tarmac competition tyres on the 14" rims for the khana and hillclimb.

    would you be refering to Rob in the little red 205Gti, used to run a honda special?

    and yes the 405 does require 95 octane, with normal unleaded it won't even run. so i guess it's safe to say that it is the high compression engine. this known, what gains are expected from the cam, in terms of power/torque, high end/low down. also how much would this be worth?

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    at the moment i run the stock 185/65-14's i think they are, though i am in need of a new set of tyres and am going to run low profiles on 15" mi16 wheels for the road and run low profile tarmac competition tyres on the 14" rims for the khana and hillclimb.

    would you be refering to Rob in the little red 205Gti, used to run a honda special?

    and yes the 405 does require 95 octane, with normal unleaded it won't even run. so i guess it's safe to say that it is the high compression engine. this known, what gains are expected from the cam, in terms of power/torque, high end/low down. also how much would this be worth?
    I based my calcs on 185/65-15, which have a very large rolling radius. My Xantia (same 2L engine) has the same setup. So yes, going to the low profile 14's will be a big step forward.

    Yes, Robert Rigg.

    You'll get good gains from cam, more so in mid range. It will sacrifice a bit down low, but you'll more than make up for that with the change in gearing. If you've got an adj. pulley you can move the powerband around to suit the application.

    ie more advanced for motorkhana, less adavanced for hill climb.

    The cost depends on how much you want to do yourself. I charge $250 for a camshaft regrind, but then you'll have to reshim the buckets. Is this something you can do yourself?

    Best way to attack it is pull the head off, check the guides, give it a 3 angle valve grind, then reassemble the whole lot on the bench. It's a lot easier than bending over the engine bay, trying to measure bucket clearances.

    Are you entering on 22 August at Awaba? My son has been bugging me for a drive so I thought we might enter.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    401

    Default

    actually just fitted the motor back into the car today. it has basically a brand new top and bottom end. the valves themselves are still original but have just been reseated and resealed. so i should be at the august motorkhana. but am not too keen to pull the head off again. considering i have another two renault engines to build very soon.

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    401

    Default

    just checked my calander and i don't seem to have any details on the august event. my calander is only the state rounds though, and my next event is the wyong tarmac event. still run by the awaba club.
    could you let me know the details??
    thanks
    adam

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    There doesn't seem to be any state rounds listed on the CAMS site. When is the Wyong event?

    Is the Awaba circuit dirt or tar? All I now is the date, 22 Aug., and the event organiser, as listed in the MG Club calender.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    401

    Default

    the awaba circuit is dirt, but extremely well prepared. there was a state round there in late june. the next state round on my calender is like i said at wyong on the tarmac, but isn't till october.
    the next khanacross round is organised by the MG car club, but is at their ringwood circuit just north of raymond terrace.
    i will do some looking around and post a thread in the motorsport section.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •