Oil level indicator not consistant
  • Register
  • Help

Default Oil level indicator not consistant

Hi all,

In my 206 GTi, depending on where i park and how much of an incline i am parked on, my oil level indicator (the one that shows in startup) changes quite drastically.

Sometimes its near full (1 bar missing), other times its near empty.

Is this normal? Depending on incline?

Advertisement

Thanks

1000+ Posts

What else do you expect? You're supposed to check the oil level on a dead flat surface. As such, the electronic guage can only be accurate on a dead flat floor - eg a garage - most service stations just won't be level enough to get an accurate reading.

Derek

I don't really trust the electronic oil gauage as it's never quite accurate or consistent (depends on parking incline, outside temperature etc). It's best to check your oil level using the oil gauage inside the engine bay about once every 1000Km or do what I do and check it every weekend (remember to only do this when the engine is cold).

Quote Originally Posted by 666
    I don't really trust the electronic oil gauage as it's never quite accurate or consistent (depends on parking incline, outside temperature etc). It's best to check your oil level using the oil gauage inside the engine bay about once every 1000Km or do what I do and check it every weekend (remember to only do this when the engine is cold).
    I just might do that. What oil would you recommend for my little 206 GTi?

I was just wondering, because the level changed quite drastically ... i didnt think an incline could effect the reading THAT much.
    Last edited by kangfu; 14th July 2004 at 03:17 PM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kangfu
    I just might do that. What oil would you recommend for my little 206 GTi?

I was just wondering, because the level changed quite drastically ... i didnt think an incline could effect the reading THAT much.

it also depends on how long the car has been turned off for as well

unless you have a great big cloud of smoke out the back or an oil slick under the car i'd say you are safe

check the oil when cold or after the car has been parked for a while
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Get used to it. Only treat it as gospel when the car has been sitting on a horizontal surface for several hours.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

1000+ Posts

Use whatever oil the service sticker (or your mechanic) says is in it. Don't mix oil brands/types.

Do remember these engines are designed to use 500ml oil per 1000km. I won't explain it in detail, but basically tollerances around the valve guides are fairly wide to promote fuel economy - this allows some oil into the combustion chamber.

I find I get less than 500ml/1000km on the highway (eg I can drive to Melbourne and back and use an imperceptible amount of oil) but I can go for a nice drive on a windy road and will use a bit of oil (and alot of petrol )

Derek

I'm bring my Gti180 for 10K service next Monday and the dealer is putting in Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil (which is probably one of the best and hhmm most expensive oil around). I recommend that you use either Mobil 1, Shell Helix or Castrol Magnetic. They're pretty much the top end of the oil brands.

I don't know about the normal Gti but the Gti180 is quick a big oil sucker!

I thought that Peugeot had a deal with Total/ESSO to be the factory oil supplier. Is the Mobil 1 going in at your insistance or is that what the dealer uses?
    In Adelaide Taylors use Total Quartz 9000 SL 5w40 fully synthetic which I belive is the recomended oil from the factory.

It's not overly cheap I did an oil change at 30,000k and was about $110 for 5L of oil and a filter (bought from the dealer)

As for the GTi 180 being an oil sucker? Crawl under your car and check for leaks. My GTi 138 doesnt use oil at all (well ok all cars use a "little" but mine is what i'd consider normal) The only time it used any oil was when it had developed a leak from the Rear main seal. You can generally check for a leak there by jacking up the car, putting it on stands (or ramps) and looking for traces of oil between the engine and the firewall, you'll see an inspection hole in the bell housing (cant think of a better word to describe it but that's what it's called in a RWD car) to inspect the flywheel. If you see evidence of oil there it can generally point to a leaking rear main seal.

Hope this helps!

Michael
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Do remember these engines are designed to use 500ml oil per 1000km. I won't explain it in detail, but basically tollerances around the valve guides are fairly wide to promote fuel economy - this allows some oil into the combustion chamber.
    I dont know why the above rule doesnt apply to my 94 306 S16. Basically I've replaced the oil dipstick because it wasnt giving me accurate readings (rubber around the top was falling apart). Since I've done this in nearly 4000km I've not used a noticeable amount of oil. On the oil dip stick the reading is exactly the same as it was 4000km ago... how come ?

I dont drive this like a grandma or like a total hoon - just somewhere in between and lots of short trips. Why doesnt it eat oil ???
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Slick
    I wouldnt be concerned if your car uses negligible oil. My 95 405 SRI with 180k on the clock appears to use no oil.
    And yes I too have had to replace the dipstick because of the orange handle crumbling away.
    Re the oil gauge I found it quite sensitive to small amounts of oil as I checked it during one oil change, so as mentioned above - flat ground, engine cold and only treat it as a rough guide. There is coolant, brake fluid etc to be checked
    regards Decca

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=gti138
    In Adelaide Taylors use Total Quartz 9000 SL 5w40 fully synthetic which I belive is the recomended oil from the factory.

[/QUOTE]

ZDoes the gti take 5lt of oil or is the dealer just charging ou for 5lt because my s16 only takes 4 lt oil.

Cheers

On Paul V's advice I'm running Neo Racing fully synth. Got Neo stuff in my gearbox as well. Engine does seem to be running a bit better and cooler and the gearbox is certainly smoother.

Paul reckons that he's read reviews of the Neo stuff up against the Mobil 1 and the Neo has outperformed (But then again he is trying to sell me the stuff... )

My 306 seems to barely use any oil at all (apart from a tiny leak a couple of months ago that was quickly fixed).
    '97 N5 306 XSi - Blaze Gold

I've used Neo from Paul as well. I'll be putting it into the ST shortly.

It's good, as is Amsoil, but compared with Mobil 1 it's a much of a muchness. If you're doing standard drain intervals with Mobil 1, there'd be little difference between the two.

Elf is probably the best name brand product on the market.

Mike, although Peugeot may have an agreement with TOTAL/Elf, doesn't mean the dealers will use it. Those agreements tend to apply in Europe more and/or for first fill only.

Thread Information