Replacing the 306 Eurovox stereo
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default Replacing the 306 Eurovox stereo

My apologies if this topic has been on before, but obviously my search techniques are rubbish.

My GTi6 has come with a pants Eurovox radio cassette player. I'm happy enough with the speakers for now, but how do you replace the head unit? Do I risk upsetting the code for it and not getting to work if I need to put it back? Is it easy enough to just take it to say JB HiFi and get a new one put in without major dramas?? What brands/models fit the best of those of you that have changed it over.

Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Do you have the code ?

If you don't the dealer can help you.

Yeah you need a special tool to remove them. They are little right angle
    piece of thin metal about 2 inches long with a notch on the end.

They fit either side of the eurovox and it all slides out.

| <---- notch on this end to push the tabs in on the eurovox
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |____

Get a JVC deck or something cheap if you are not overly concerned
    with the sound quality, and IIRC they come with the tool to remove the old deck. On the back of the eurovox it will have a pair of wires for each channel, earth, power - that comes on with ignition, perm power for the clock and I think that should be it.

I try no to cut the orginal wiring loomb and plug off it makes it easier
    to put the old deck back in when you sell or write your car off.
    I went back from the end of the plug and stripped and soldered the new
    loomb on.

I have done 3 pug eurovoxes in my sister's 306's and my mum's 405.
    They are a piece of cake once you get the hang of it.

You should be ok with that and the new deck will come with
    the instructions

Tom
    Last edited by tcns; 13th July 2004 at 08:43 PM.

RE: Codes for Eurovox, you can get these direct from Eurovox. You'll need to quote the serial number and supply a statutory declaration stating ownership of the unit...

IMHO - Quality befitting the car: Alpine, Nakamichi, High end Pioneer and Clarion....

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the car didn't come with this 'specialty' tool. Not to worry, I think I will just let someone else do it for me this time. I'm sick of spending my Saturday afternoons wiring up car stereos. Got better things to do!

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

You will spend a whole lot longer earning the cash you pay someone to overcharge you for doing a literally 5 min job. I took out my eurovox from my 405 and replaced it with the VDO MP3 head in that time. The new unit came with the metal removing tools mentioned in another thread on changing radio's and the wiring adaptor was removed allowing the euro plugs to simply plug into the back of the unit. I think the three year old could have done it.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Not to worry, I think I will just let someone else do it for me this time. I'm sick of spending my Saturday afternoons wiring up car stereos. Got better things to do!
    Come on, man. You know it's not that hard The book even tells you which wires are for which bit, etc. It's quite a simple job, and much cheaper if you do it yourself.

Besides you won't be paying big money for some clown to just twist the wires together and tape them like they nearly all do. They won't respect your car like you do
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

OKay, I guess I'm just a little bit tentative/apprehensive about doing it myself. My previous cars (Mazdas...please, don't all laught at once) I did manage to do all the wiring myself and it was all 'old skool', but they weren't equipped with all this new code stuff and euro plugs.

I'm getting a head unit for nothing anyway, so it's not that much of an expence.

The speakers in the parcel shelf of the 306 are fairly lightweight. A new decent stereo and you will probably want to replace them. I Replaced the Eurvox in my wife's 306 with a Sony from Strathfield Car radio and it came with 170w Sony xplod speakers (model 1621 I think) and they fitted in ok. Other speakers were too deep for the enclosures in the parcel shelf.
    I wouldnt cut the wiring loom. you can get adapters they cost about $27 but they could save you some grief with installation and with refitting the old unit if you sell the car

Quote Originally Posted by Decca
    I wouldnt cut the wiring loom. you can get adapters they cost about $27 but they could save you some grief with installation and with refitting the old unit if you sell the car

Agreed on the cutting of the loom but $27 for the adapter is pricey.
    essentially you are stripping and soldering the best part of 10 or 11 wires
    that are all labeled - and no cutting involved. When selling
    you just cut where you soldered the new loom into the old one.
    Unless of course you don't own an iron then the adapter might bet the way to go.

Tom

Thanks guys. THe deed has been done, Eurovox now replaced with a JVC CD player which does what I want.

Now all I need is like a good pair of 6x9s, a pre-amp, subwoofer.....

Thread Information