mi16 timing belt in NZ (FYI)
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default mi16 timing belt in NZ (FYI)

Just had the timing belt replaced in my 405 mi16. 93k. Took it down to the 'Toy Shop' to have it checked out, and they told me it was all a little loose and needed dealing with. Comes as a kit with the tensioner belts. I think they're due at about 80k, so I may have averted a disaster.
    The casing around the belt has started to rattle though (I'm about to take it back). Cost (with service, WOF and a few, other odds and end) NZ$970.00.

They have told me that the brake disks and pads will need re-newal next service. Suggested Brembo would be cheaper than the Peugeot standard parts. Sounds flash to me ... for bikes at least.

Advertisement

Anyone know how much door rubbers cost ... for the whole car?

Quote Originally Posted by mi16_NZ
    Just had the timing belt replaced in my 405 mi16. 93k. Took it down to the 'Toy Shop' to have it checked out, and they told me it was all a little loose and needed dealing with. Comes as a kit with the tensioner belts. I think they're due at about 80k, so I may have averted a disaster.
    The casing around the belt has started to rattle though (I'm about to take it back). Cost (with service, WOF and a few, other odds and end) NZ$970.00.

They have told me that the brake disks and pads will need re-newal next service. Suggested Brembo would be cheaper than the Peugeot standard parts. Sounds flash to me ... for bikes at least.

Anyone know how much door rubbers cost ... for the whole car?
    $970 i know its New Zeland but that is a heck of a lot of money to pay to get your timing belt done, i don't know what the exchange rate is over there and other things like that that may factor in but you should be able to get that job done for maybe half that, i think the dealers are haveing a lend of your bank account, and i also really can't see why theyd say brembos would be cheaper then standard pug disks

farmerdave

Brembo's are possibly better than the pug disks- pug ones wear quickly in my experience. Also Zoenolli (sp?)in Auckland are worth a call, they import from Europe and can supply some good gear very reasonably. Can't comment on pads (only ever had pug ones), but have heard good things about EBC greenstuff (and the black kevlar)- I have some greenstuff on order for the front of the R25, because it needs it .

Farmerdave

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    $970 i know its New Zeland but that is a heck of a lot of money to pay to get your timing belt done, i don't know what the exchange rate is over there and other things like that that may factor in but you should be able to get that job done for maybe half that, i think the dealers are haveing a lend of your bank account, and i also really can't see why theyd say brembos would be cheaper then standard pug disks
    $970.00 sounds ok to me for a cam belt. The dealers in Christchurch quoted $1200.00 + for belt, tensioners and waterpump for mine.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi 03
    $970.00 sounds ok to me for a cam belt. The dealers in Christchurch quoted $1200.00 + for belt, tensioners and waterpump for mine.
    ouch i didn't realise how much service costs were in NZ

Fellow Frogger!

That does seem quite steep.

But then again we buy our cars for a lot less money in the first place.

Tadpole

The car is going like a dream (he says touching wood). Surprising how much smoother it runs with a tight cam belt.
    Trouble now of course, is the windscreen which needed replacing for the WOF (insurance job). When the windscreen shop removed it, they found a couple of spots of rust and gave me a quote for 160.00 for the local panel beater to fix it. For that price, I envisage a panel beater giving the spots a once over with a wire brush and slapping some paint on. The Toy Shop on the other hand, have a workshop full of Aston Martins and old Merc's, etc which they rebuild and renovate (for rich people). Toy Shop man quoted 300 and wouldn't negotiate, saying he couldn't bring himself to do a half job. I've opted for the Toy shop. Hey ... the kids can eat at their Grannies for the next week or so.

No doubt the man at the Toy Shop drives an Aston himself? A new one

He's a bit scarey with his prices in any mans language.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information