505 starting problems
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 starting problems

Until a few months ago I was able to turn over the XN engine on the fourth key turn and everything was okay. That is, a fast warm up period and smooth idling.

A few weeks ago it became necessary to prime the carby for each cold start by lifting the air intake and delivering a small amount of fuel to each throat.
    Apart from the inconvenience of this start up procedure all was okay.
    Starting anytime later in the day was no problem, turning over first go.

Now it is a bit difficult to keep the engine running from a cold start
    and the engine behaves like "bronco billy" and the bonnet almost leaves its
    hinges.
    Within five minutes it is then idling smoothly and after driving off there are no
    problems.
    However starting later on the same day can now sometimes require a re-priming of the carby.

Advertisement

Would appreciate any advice on steps to take to alleviate the above.
    The car has an auto tranny and someone in the past has converted
    the auto choke to manual on the Webber.

I've encountered these symptoms many times. It's rarely a carby problem. It almost always turns out to be the points gap (which closes up due to the rubbing block wearing).

Re-adjust the points, reset the timing and you'll probably notice a big difference.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Tadpole

I also have a 505 with a manual choke Weber carby, but it is an '84 SR, with electronic ignition. It has been very difficult to start lately, particuarly if it hasn't been used for a few days.

I think that the problem is caused by a leaking non-return valve in the fuel pump, because after a day or two, the fuel filter (just near the carby inlet) ends up completely empty. It takes a lot of cranking to get fuel back to the carby. Might have to get around to buying a new fuel pump to test the theory.

Andrew.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewD
    I also have a 505 with a manual choke Weber carby, but it is an '84 SR, with electronic ignition. It has been very difficult to start lately, particuarly if it hasn't been used for a few days.

I think that the problem is caused by a leaking non-return valve in the fuel pump, because after a day or two, the fuel filter (just near the carby inlet) ends up completely empty. It takes a lot of cranking to get fuel back to the carby. Might have to get around to buying a new fuel pump to test the theory.

Andrew.

stick an electric pump on it

just turn the key and wait a couple of seconds then crank it over

they also tend to last for a very long time and the other bonus is if you ever run the car out of fuel you need only turn the key to run the fuel up and your away again
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm

Andrew, have you tested your theory yet? My '83 GR has had the same problem for a long time now. I've still got the standard Solex carby on it.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    stick an electric pump on it

just turn the key and wait a couple of seconds then crank it over

they also tend to last for a very long time and the other bonus is if you ever run the car out of fuel you need only turn the key to run the fuel up and your away again
    The only problem with the electric pump is that the fuel flow is constant.

The mechanical ones vary with engine speed. I am sure that there is some way to tie the pump to engine speed but until i can figure that out it would seem that the mechanical type would use less fuel?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Default 505 Starting problems

Try checking rubber air hoses for leaks - use detergent.
    Good luck.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    The only problem with the electric pump is that the fuel flow is constant.

The mechanical ones vary with engine speed. I am sure that there is some way to tie the pump to engine speed but until i can figure that out it would seem that the mechanical type would use less fuel?

shobbz

that's what needle and seat is for on the carb to keep a constant level in the bowl

the electric pumps are low pressure and if needed it is easy to run a return line back to tank
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    I am sure that there is some way to tie the pump to engine speed but until i can figure that out it would seem that the mechanical type would use less fuel?

shobbz
    As Pugrambo said, the pump's got nothing to do with the amount of fuel used (unless there's a leak). All it does is keep the float bowl full.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

Thread Information