505 wagons
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 wagons

gjo
    Tadpole

Default 505 wagons

After many years of driving a 403, I've had to buy another Peugeot because
    I occasionally need to tow glider trailers. I bought a 1991 4 speed auto "Family"
    wagon. I got the auto because I need to tow rigged gliders out to the launch point
    at the airfield at walking pace and this is harder to do with a manual.
    It has the 2.2 injection motor but it isn't badged as a GTI.
    Are there any other detail differences between these later auto wagons and the GTI
    wagons except the auto transmission and the naff steel wheels?
    Do they still have the LSD?

Speaking of wheels, it only has one of its original wheel covers:

http://ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au/~gjo/505wheel.jpg

any chance of finding a set of these cheaply?

Advertisement
    Last edited by gjo; 12th July 2004 at 07:35 PM.

I have a 88 gti wagon and a 91 wagon ,I cant see any difference between them besides a few things with the interior and the steel wheels. Both have a LSD ,for the wheel covers I used 406 wheel covers the ones that look like S2 205 GTi rimes. I just had to grind a bit of out from behind wheel cover and they fitted well but I have a set of 15 in GTi rims that I will be putting on when I get around to it
    regards Jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gjo
    After many years of driving a 403, I've had to buy another Peugeot because
    I occasionally need to tow glider trailers. I bought a 1991 4 speed auto "Family"
    wagon. I got the auto because I need to tow rigged gliders out to the launch point
    at the airfield at walking pace and this is harder to do with a manual.
    It has the 2.2 injection motor but it isn't badged as a GTI.
    Are there any other detail differences between these later auto wagons and the GTI
    wagons except the auto transmission and the naff steel wheels?
    Do they still have the LSD?

Speaking of wheels, it only has one of its original wheel covers:

http://ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au/~gjo/505wheel.jpg

any chance of finding a set of these cheaply?

Greg, let me know if you want to get rid of those "naff" wheels!

Graham Wallis

gjo
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Greg, let me know if you want to get rid of those "naff" wheels!

Graham Wallis
    I'm not in any rush to replace them, since I assume 505 15" alloy wheels
    are expensive and hard to come by.

Default wagon

I to have one of these wagons,bought it with 130000k on it. Those wheel trims are a 2 piece thing and we lost half of one. Im told they are $100+ ea to buy. It has one missing still. I was going to try an after market one one day. The hand book describes the car as a GTI with LSDiff. I recently had to remove the Starter and after much language and some phone calls one needs some long bolts to replace the crossmember endine support frame so it can be lowered sone 50+mm then with lots of extensions and swivel drive sockets you can get the top bolt out one of the 5 that hold it in place. Just thought you may be interested incase you have trouble and get completely frustrated and burn the thing. I thinkig seriously of updating to a 406 diesel.
    Regards Jeffd

Default Lsd

Are the lsd rear ends standard?
    The handbook for our late 505{1990) mentions the lsd but I don't think it is fitted with one. The diff on both our 505's(wagons) look the same, but I know you could buy limited inners for them so this isn't a point.

Default Lsd

Easy way to check. Jack one wheel off the ground and you should be able to drive off the Jack if it has a limited slip diff. If not then it will spin one wheel only.
    jeffd

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffd
    Easy way to check. Jack one wheel off the ground and you should be able to drive off the Jack if it has a limited slip diff. If not then it will spin one wheel only.
    jeffd
    Thanks Jeff....I'll aim the front of the car out of the garage as I drive off the jack .......I'll let you know
    Chris.....

Tadpole

Icon5 Lsd??

Apart from demolishing garages and towing gliders, what is the advantage of the LSD in 505 wagons?
    My 1985 wagon has a vibration problem over 90kph and clocks 3500 rpm at 100kph, with consequent high fuel consumption; do the later LSD versions help fix these issues??

Quote Originally Posted by rustyfrog
    Apart from demolishing garages and towing gliders, what is the advantage of the LSD in 505 wagons?
    My 1985 wagon has a vibration problem over 90kph and clocks 3500 rpm at 100kph, with consequent high fuel consumption; do the later LSD versions help fix these issues??
    Sue,(my wife ) and I discussed that point the other day. The limited slip diff was probably an option aimed at the European market, because I'd say that you could even get 'out of shape' in a 4 cylinder Pug wagon in the snow, and the LSD would help control some of the slide.
    As for fuel consumption, nothing except not driving it will cure that, they are not a light car on fuel. They serve a purpose, and economy isn't it.
    The later models have a 4sp auto transmission though, and this would improve highway milage.
    Rusty, the vibration will probably be due to one of the anti-vibration dampers being missing. The first wagon we purchased suffered this, I got a 2nd hand one from the wreckers, and it was cured. The anti-vibration dampers are 2 rubber blocks about 2'' square and one about 4'' long and the other a little longer. They are positioned at the rear of the transmission.

Chris
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 29th July 2004 at 07:33 PM.

Thread Information