My 180 is 197
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: My 180 is 197

Tadpole

Default My 180 is 197

after 3000k's, i decided to have my 180 dynoed, and was astonished with the outcome. i pulled a whopping 197. my mechanic reckons that i must have run it in pretty good. i reccomend other 180 owners dynotune theirs in to find out exactly how much its making. you too might be surprised.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

umm yeah. Shoot-out mode ?

i wouldn't even believe you if you said you had a cold-intake mod and a 3" Phrat exhaust system. Perhaps some sensor calibration checks need to be made. What rev's did this magic number appear at and can you remember your corresponding peak torque figure ??

-Q. [ever the sceptic]

have to agree, it is a bit much for run in....can you post a copy the dyno sheet...would be nice if you can proove me wrong

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ben79
    after 3000k's, i decided to have my 180 dynoed, and was astonished with the outcome. i pulled a whopping 197. my mechanic reckons that i must have run it in pretty good. i reccomend other 180 owners dynotune theirs in to find out exactly how much its making. you too might be surprised.

So you went to the trouble of removing the engine??
    I think that the fudge factor of estimating the transmission power loss may explain this.
    Graham Wallis

You need to express it as power at the wheels, as that's where it's being measured. After that, the dyno operator can put in any factor he/she wants to arrive at an estimated flywheel figure.

The poms are very good at doing this. They get upset if their 160hp Mi16 engine is only putting out 155. Or, very excited when they get 165.
    Last edited by PeterT; 12th July 2004 at 08:23 AM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Welll..... One would have their doubts wouldn't they...

I doubt he removed the engine (its a possibility - but you wouldn't really want to pull an engine out and back into a 3000kms new car.)

ATW is relevant, when done properly - but attempting to convert this to a flywheel figure is pretty sketchy.

Oh well, maybe he'll come back and tell us he did pull the engine out and prove us all wrong!

I haven't heard of any freak 180 donks though.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Ben79

Are you using the same units? I believe the 180 refers to brake horsepower, which are slightly different to standard or metric horsepower.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/power

This webpage that calculates differences in a whole bunch of different units.

Hope this helps
    Nick

Cal

He done disappear
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

ahhh, the old drivetrain loss problem - take it with a grain of salt; it's different on every car, dragging brakes, tyre pressures, dyno calibration etc etc. The dyno is not a power/torque measuring tool, it should be used for comparison only. i.e. dyno the car before a mod, take it back after the mod, enter the same value and compare the curves...
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Thread Information