Changing rims on a 180?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Changing rims on a 180?

Is this the same as for any 206?

I know I need 17x7, Im even thinking about getting some 18x17.5 (might need a speedo recalibaration).

What else do i need make sure the rims are spec too?

Advertisement

Blue180 you have some expertise in this department, what other specs do I need to know?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Is this the same as for any 206?
    I know I need 17x7, Im even thinking about getting some 18x17.5 (might need a speedo recalibaration).
    What else do i need make sure the rims are spec too?
    PCD and everything is the same ... you will struggle to get 17.5" wide rims from scraping ... actually without rolled guards (which is risky .. seen creased one from this) .. you won't get 7.5" with the appropriate tyres to fit either ... no speedo recalibration* needed if you get the right profile tyres and keep the rolling diameter the same.

- XTC206 -

PS: only the Diag2000 can reset the speedo recalibration.. as it's a setting. Speed is calculated by the ABS sensors.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Umm... small problem there, i thought, atleast in NSW, anything lower than a 40 series was illegal. I know you'll get booked running anything less that 35 series. With 7.5" rims, you're going to run 225's i assume? 30% * 225 = 67.5. 35% * 225 = 78.75. 40% * 205 = 82 (stock 180 rims). Diameter difference = 25mm for 18" rim. Best case with 30's, if you can legal get them, is 92.5mm compared to the stock 82mm... normalising to a 17" rim. It canna be done, captain!
    Been done before ... legality is another question ? But there is cars with 35 profile tyres ...

- XTC206 -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now this is a .sig

Umm... small problem there, i thought, atleast in NSW, anything lower than a 40 series was illegal. I know you'll get booked running anything less that 35 series. With 7.5" rims, you're going to run 225's i assume? 30% * 225 = 67.5. 35% * 225 = 78.75. 40% * 205 = 82 (stock 180 rims). Diameter difference = 25mm for 18" rim. Best case with 30's, if you can legal get them, is 92.5mm compared to the stock 82mm... normalising to a 17" rim. It canna be done, captain!
    When you are measuring the increase in wheel size you are forgetting the fact that half the measurement would be on the other side as well

Whats this about 35 series tyres being illegal in NSW? Got anymore detail? That would suck having a Murcielago or something.

If you’re going 18 x 7.5 wide or 17 x 7.5, you can not lower the car. You may have seen some 206’s rolling on 18 x 7.5 or 18 x 8’s in UK mags, but they all have body kits which require the inner guards and lip to be cut out completely.

There are a few companies making 18 x 7’s with the right off-set, but you’ll need to change the hub and rotor (stud pattern). This is about a $3,500 project… excluding your new wheels.

The problem of an unusual spacing and stud pattern….

Even putting 17x7’s on a lowered 206 is a mission. I had my rears back spaced 10mm further in than the fronts. This allows clearance at the rear so the lip can go over the tyre and allows the front to clear the inner guard on full lock.

Default 30 series...offffffft

Hmm, yeah I'm not sure bout the legal side either.

Took a snap of a BMW 5-series with the latest 7-series 19inch wheels on it when I was at Bob Jane a few months back....30series! YIPES!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changing rims on a 180?-5series-19inch2.jpg   Changing rims on a 180?-5series-19inch1.jpg   Changing rims on a 180?-5series1.jpg   Changing rims on a 180?-5series-rear.jpg  
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

Default 35 Series...22inch!

Howdy Again,

Just came across a few more LARGE wheel files taken on my phone...

Porsche Cayenne, TYRES: 265-35 ZR22

YIPESSSSS!!!! Look at those awful scratches on the rims too... OUCH! Too many $$$ not enough

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changing rims on a 180?-porschecay1.jpg   Changing rims on a 180?-porschecay2.jpg   Changing rims on a 180?-porschecay3.jpg  
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by blu180
    Even putting 17x7’s on a lowered 206 is a mission. I had my rears back spaced 10mm further in than the fronts. This allows clearance at the rear so the lip can go over the tyre and allows the front to clear the inner guard on full lock.
    How bout not dropping it? I know, tractor look alike. I dont want body sitting over tire though, so Im thinking a 30mm drop will be enough for me, and will stick with 17's so i dont have to worry about the tire issue.

blu180, how low can you go without affecting the width of the rim? ie can I get 7.5's with only a 30mm drop?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by MY 4
    Took a snap of a BMW 5-series with the latest 7-series 19inch wheels on it when I was at Bob Jane a few months back....30series! YIPES!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Then again they can probably afford it .

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

How bout not dropping it? I know, tractor look alike. I dont want body sitting over tire though, so Im thinking a 30mm drop will be enough for me, and will stick with 17's so i dont have to worry about the tire issue.

blu180, how low can you go without affecting the width of the rim? ie can I get 7.5's with only a 30mm drop?
    7.5 will still sit out from the guard, which is illegal, plus will look a tad silly. If you're only dropping it 30mm, how far does the car drop fully loaded. We all know 206's drop dramatically even with a full tank of gas, let alone 3 passengers, and luggage.

When I did my first 206GTI, I didn’t lip the guards. In 1 week I destroyed a pair of Pirelli’s… you don’t want do the same mistake.

Talk the wheel dealer into allowing you to test fit the rims first. Put a whole heap on people in your car and see if it's ok.

Fellow Frogger!

can someone explain what offet i need?

ok I want some dish rims, probably medium depth.
    Last edited by smokey; 12th July 2004 at 02:57 PM.

can someone explain what offet i need?

ok I want some dish rims, probably medium depth.

call Bob jane and ask them. They'll have it on file.

The main issue you have with tyres when you go up a size is ensuring that the load rating remains the same. This is what you can get defected on.

Dave, there's nothing weird about a 30% profile, you are talking about a tyre that is 265mm wide, so the profile is 79.5mm high. My ST is running 215/45R17s, so that's a profile that is 96.75mm high, that's only 17mm difference, not a great deal.

Hey Linc'sta-kink'sta, (?)
    I never said it was weird. Just merely pointing out some 'extreme' examples which I have seen on the road. You can't tell me that these wheels don't stand out to you...Coz' they do!

The other point I was making is the costs involved in having tyres/wheels like these... hence all the 'offfts' and the 'yipes' not to mention the '$' signs.

~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

Quote Originally Posted by MY 4
    Hey Linc'sta-kink'sta, (?)
    With these rhyming skills, I reckon you could become a writer for Playschool and Sesame Street

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Oohhh yeah. hehe - if only! That'd be my dream job Justin (bustin')! Oh shit, it can only get cornier, right? ....right!

Somehow I don't think the parents or guardians of the young folk who watch 'sesame street' & 'playschool' would really appreciate the often 'adult-orientated'/'fornication' and/or other gutter trash rhyming that leaves my mouth!

i.e. Linc'sta-Kink'sta. Sure the parents might get randy, and it may well tempt them to get naked and boogey. But at the end of the day it could end up a little bit like the new Honda Oddesy commercial, where the parents just get completely caught up in the action and forget the young ones.

We wouldn't want that now, would we! hehe, ok. I'm going now. BYE!
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

Bye!

I'm still here! NER!

~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

And while you're ringing uncle bob, see what no brand tyres he recommends this week as being better than whatever brand name you suggest

I take it you don't like Bod? I always buy my tires from there. Steve the manager on Parramatta Rd is a top guy. He never suggests no-name tyres. I've bought Pirelli's and Yoko's of him and every time I've been happy with price, quality and service.

I've heard some average things about them... Maybe I've found and exception.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by blu180
    I take it you don't like Bod? I've heard some average things about them... Maybe I've found and exception.
    Main gripe .. they always try and badger you into getting one of their "exclusive" (read very very cheap to import and usually CRAP) tyres .. making some ludicrous statements along the way ... great example of what they think of the customer ... not much better then pedders. But sounds like this one is OK to you.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Well, it is a franchise arrangement, so technically every one of them could be different in terms of service standards. They do tend to attract a similar reputation to each other though

BTW, there are 2 Bob Janes on Parramatta Rd, James. One in sunny Granville and one in Haberfield - which is the one I suspect you probably are referring to, yes?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

So is the 206 offset 25mm? What is it on 17"? I know they're 4 x 108 PCD, believe they're 17-25mm depending on rim size...can someone confirm?

Those BMW rims are stock on current 7-series...
    Has anyone considered the practicality of 35-series tyres on a supposedly 4WD/offroad/SUV vehicle (Porsche Cayenne)?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey
    So is the 206 offset 25mm? What is it on 17"? I know they're 4 x 108 PCD, believe they're 17-25mm depending on rim size...can someone confirm?
    You want good 206 info, you go to the 206gti.net FAQ

That's what it's there for
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Fellow Frogger!

thanks xsaravts, had read that, but it doesnt give offset etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information