306 GTi6 vs 206 GTi180 - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Really.. i'll take a normally aspirated engine over a turbo every day. Why... because you can drive it flat out all day without it breaking. Keep in mind, that comment is made exempting the guys who engineer turbo properly, like Porsche, Mercede's etc. A relaible turbo performance car sub $100k... they don't exist.
    ROFL!

I thought your credibility was completely lost with the whole "Jap tyres are crap" thing but I've found room for a new low now. Mercedes know how to engineer a turbo hey? Show me a Mercedes petrol turbo engine!

I think you'll find that some of the most reliable engines in the world are turbocharged.

Advertisement

Really.. how much has constructively come out of this thread??
    It's shown me that people like to selectively read articles and that some people like to defend their purchase to the nth degree, and stick their fingers in their ears when someone with a differing opinion evaluates the car.

All i keep seeing is ppl saying.. "Oh yeah.. the 180's crap because the article said this". Well, dah.. that same writter gave the Astra a glowing review. Non-biased. Yeah, and my sh!t doesn't smell
    Whats wrong with the Astra review?

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    BTW, I reckon I can rubbish the RSC more than I can rubbish the 180 Sound like a challenge?
    OHHH STOP IT

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Really.. how much has constructively come out of this thread?? All i keep seeing is ppl saying.. "Oh yeah.. the 180's crap because the article said this". Well, dah.. that same writter gave the Astra a glowing review. Non-biased. Yeah, and my sh!t doesn't smell
    I wouldn't have been so bad if people had stuck with the original topic like I had intended.

By the way, go to the bbc.co.uk/topgear website and read their (all too brief) review on the 180 (if you can find it...it's a terrible site to navigate).
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    OHHH STOP IT
    Must I? It'd be fun For me, anyway...

Stone free, we rarely stick to the topic on AF. hehe. What else do you want to know about the 6? It's crook driving position? It's crap turning circle? It's brake rotor appetite? It's crap paint? It's poorly designed engine mounts?

GTI124 show a bit of respect please. The GTi6 is the best 4cyl in the world (when not using Jap tyres).

Yeah, sorry, I'll pull my head in.

So what was wrong with that article again? I missed that post...
    Last edited by GTI124; 15th July 2004 at 04:51 PM.

Brakes? Don't need no brakes turning corners...only for those infernal traffic lights

You might like these;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/prog2/rsfocus.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/prog2/shootout.shtml

Very good reviews, you should feel impressed!

Fellow Frogger!

I loove that focus RS. I read all about it in the last RallyXS Magazine. "Sell the dog, bin the wife - just get one". It is a detailed article that tells you everything you need to know... especially the engine upgrade package that you can get to upgrade it from :

212 bhp, 229 lb.ft to 285 bhp, 300lb.ft

They should have sold 100 here in Australia badged as Ford Focus XR4 - hehe

Icon6

Lincoln,

you forgot to mention 6's singing dash, impossible to balance wheels, the most expensive cig lighter replacement part ($98 - nothing else fits) and 2nd gear that takes 5kms before you can engage.

Apart from that awesome car, and would love to see the Pug180, RCS and 6 on the track getting timed. (topic related paragraph) .

When will we see our forum pug/ren owners at Wakefield?????

might even take the VX on the track for few laps....
    Last edited by tekkie; 16th July 2004 at 12:09 AM.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

You have access to a 205gti as well? Lucky [email protected]! I've never driven a 205gti so don't know, but I think Dino here has a 205gti and a S16 which has similar handling so should be able to compare.
    damn howd i miss out on this thread? I think i gotta read the forums more often

Anyways i stil think the 205Gti is the most fun to drive....its such a drivers car and so raw.

My dad used to have a 205gti and ive driven my friends both were a blast to drive yet when i did drive them i was a new p plater and thus a sh1tkunt driver with little idea how to drive the car well

We have 3 Gti6's in my family and also a 405Mi16 and i can tell u the 205gti sh1ts all over the Gti6's in the fun department. Build quality ride quality fuel consumption ect are another matter all together.

Pesonally i find the Gti6 quite boring...they are too refined for my liking...too quite too soft and just not as much of a raw harsh driving experience that the 205Gti is.

I find the lack of torque before 3000rpm on the Gti6 annoying esp in my brothers Gti6.

My Gti on the other hand drives more like i rembember the 205 behaving...its noisy, harsh ride squeks and makes all sorts of funky noises but i luv it to bits.
    Its 100kg lighter than an N5 Gti6 and honestly u can feel the difference....it feels alot more nimble and is very noticeable in a straight line.

Also the steering in my GTi6 feels alot lighter and more responsive than that of the N5 Gti6's. I just find them to be very dull and dont give much feedback

If any of u Gti180 guys would care for a bit of fun please let me know....i luv the Gti180 and have never had the oppurtunity to challenge one or even be in one

As for bagging the Gti180? Where has all this bitching stemed from....geez i leave the forums for like 6 months and so much has changed

As for track times....i should be at Philip Island Sprints in August so hopefully ill see what times my car can pull....but my suspension is pretty rooted ATM so i dont think ill do too well

Stone Free- My brother has a Gold Gti6 99 model...i always thought his was the only gold one around...ive never seen another on the road just XSi's how many Gold Gti6 are there here in melb?
    Last edited by WRCPUG; 16th July 2004 at 02:40 AM.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    Lincoln,

you forgot to mention 6's singing dash, impossible to balance wheels, the most expensive cig lighter replacement part ($98 - nothing else fits) and 2nd gear that takes 5kms before you can engage.

Apart from that awesome car, and would love to see the Pug180, RCS and 6 on the track getting timed. (topic related paragraph) .

When will we see our forum pug/ren owners at Wakefield?????

might even take the VX on the track for few laps....
    Oh yes the friggin rims. Absolutely impossible!

YOu know what, funny you should ask if I have seen any other Yellow GTi6s around. Last weekend I was up at my paren't place in Emerald and what did I see parked on the side of the road?? Another Blaze Yellow 306GTi6. Couldn't believe it!! In Emerald!!!

You're very right about the comments about the 205GTi. I love driving it too, but I am knackered if I have to drive it for long periods in traffic. In my GTI6 I don't have that problem so much. Yes the ride is alot smoother and it is harder to get a feel for the car, but I'm just glad to be owning one that's all I can say. After driving a 1982 MAzda previously, you must understand that anything built after 1990 is luxury for me

When I first test drove my 6, it sounded really meaty and raw, but not too loud that you suffer acute hearing loss. Anyway, go and pick it up a week later and it turned out the exhaust system needed replacing, so now it doesn't sound so good. At least my ears aren't ringing after being in it for 3 hours

When are the Phillip Island sprints??

Interesting to hear about the rims on the 6. Mine vibrate quite badly at 100kph or more. Is this common is it?? I'm getting it seen to this weekend.

XTC

BTW, I reckon I can rubbish the RSC more than I can rubbish the 180 Sound like a challenge?
    Why what's wrong with the RCS .. other then looking like it was dropped at birth ?
    - XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Interesting to hear about the rims on the 6. Mine vibrate quite badly at 100kph or more. Is this common is it?? I'm getting it seen to this weekend.
    Because there isn't a centre hole in the rim, they have to do an on car balance or fit an adapater to the wheel to get an off car balance done. As much as shops try and try, we never managed to smooth out the balance completely on the 6. Tekkie had them pretty smooth...or so we all thought until he got some XSi rims which are almost perfect out of the factory. Now that is smooth!

My advice is to make sure you have lots of time where you can keep going back on the same day. I wouldn't do it on a weekend, as they'll take forever.

To make things worse in my case (for the better though) is we found the first owner had fitted an LSD to the car, so we couldn't do an on car wheel balance at all.

Because there isn't a centre hole in the rim, they have to do an on car balance or fit an adapater to the wheel to get an off car balance done. As much as shops try and try, we never managed to smooth out the balance completely on the 6.
    The 180 has these centre hole-less rims too. Is this another reason to bag the crap out of it
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    damn howd i miss out on this thread? I think i gotta read the forums more often

Anyways i stil think the 205Gti is the most fun to drive....its such a drivers car and so raw.

My dad used to have a 205gti and ive driven my friends both were a blast to drive yet when i did drive them i was a new p plater and thus a sh1tkunt driver with little idea how to drive the car well

We have 3 Gti6's in my family and also a 405Mi16 and i can tell u the 205gti sh1ts all over the Gti6's in the fun department. Build quality ride quality fuel consumption ect are another matter all together.

Pesonally i find the Gti6 quite boring...they are too refined for my liking...too quite too soft and just not as much of a raw harsh driving experience that the 205Gti is.

I find the lack of torque before 3000rpm on the Gti6 annoying esp in my brothers Gti6.

My Gti on the other hand drives more like i rembember the 205 behaving...its noisy, harsh ride squeks and makes all sorts of funky noises but i luv it to bits.
    Its 100kg lighter than an N5 Gti6 and honestly u can feel the difference....it feels alot more nimble and is very noticeable in a straight line.

Also the steering in my GTi6 feels alot lighter and more responsive than that of the N5 Gti6's. I just find them to be very dull and dont give much feedback

If any of u Gti180 guys would care for a bit of fun please let me know....i luv the Gti180 and have never had the oppurtunity to challenge one or even be in one

As for bagging the Gti180? Where has all this bitching stemed from....geez i leave the forums for like 6 months and so much has changed

As for track times....i should be at Philip Island Sprints in August so hopefully ill see what times my car can pull....but my suspension is pretty rooted ATM so i dont think ill do too well

Stone Free- My brother has a Gold Gti6 99 model...i always thought his was the only gold one around...ive never seen another on the road just XSi's how many Gold Gti6 are there here in melb?
    Yeah I pretty much agree with most of that, the Ď6 is definitely not a hardcore racer, but I enjoy the refinement. Not too long ago I made the mistake of replacing the oem muffler with a straight-thru type which freed up some power but also made me realise Iím not as young as forgiving as I used to be! Standard muffler is back on I find the steering to be excellent in the '6 (in comparison to the other cars I've driven anyway). I've driven a N3 S16, and because of the power difference, the lower weight wasn't noticeable over the '6. The steering definitely felt lighter in the S16 too, but not necessarily better or worse, I guess it depends if you prefer a meaty feel or not. The chassis flex was definitely noticable in the S16, which is why I'm curious what the actual difference is and where the 100kgs went in the '6 chassis. Like anything the more rigid the chassis the better the suspension can do its job.

I've been wanting to drive a 205gti for ages now but can't find any at any dealership to take for a test drive. Hmm I just remembered Joel from here has one..hey Joel, you want to drive my '6?

edit: Am I the only '6 owner who hasn't had trouble balancing the rims!? Ok I had trouble finding a place that could do it, but once done, it's been smooth. There may be a very slight resonance around 140kph but not much, and it disappears above or below that speed.

Tekkie, what singing dash? Do you mean that annoying interior fan noise that comes on and off sometimes?
    Last edited by jastanis; 16th July 2004 at 11:29 AM.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

jastanis; I realsie you are in Adelaide, but where did you find a place that could do the rims?? My dealer just sends the cars to Bob Jane.

I like driving my 6 over the 205GTi, only because it is MINE. I dunno, maybe it is age creeping up on me, but if I had a 205gti on P plates I doubt I would have the faultless driving record I have. When I drive the 205 I just hang on and plant the foot....all good fun But now with the 6, it's just nice, quiet, understated, smells new, clean, modern etc etc.....

Yeah.. you're credibility is going to hell making comments like that! Show me a relaible petrol engined turbo car... and i'll show you a list of common warranty recalls for the car in it's first 2 years.
    OK. S15 200sx.

And you're right... Mercede's don't turbo petrols...
    Actually, they've got a couple in the range. The V12 has a twin turbo's and the little Smart (if you classify that as a Merc) has one too.

Maybe my generalised sweeping forced induction coments where lost on you.
    Aah OK. You like to backtrack don't you

Ntohing... except that every other review i've read comparing Astra and 180.. the 180 comes out shining.
    Read some more reviews then. Actually, take a look at the 180 -v- Astra Comparo in Motor Jan04. Theres a PDF in the 206gti.net mailing list section. Read the last two paragraphs.

Infact, the Astra gets quite consistently bad reviews, from what i've read.
    Where? Seriously......where? I acknowledge the Astra has quite a number of faults (one of my main gripes is the turbo-lag, even though journos rave about the lack of it) but please show me a review where the general tone is that it is a bad car.

The point was.. the different lion badge instantly adds the double points bonus round option to most Ozzy reviewers score cards.
    Bullshit. Have a look at how many publications have rubbished the Adventra recently.

Matey, i don't have a problem with constructive and knowledge based criticism of the 180. Infact, i could give you more faults on the car than these reviewers could find in 12 months of driving one. But thats it.. ppl using this forum, like yourself, like to assume they know EVERYTHING because they read one bad article on the 180.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Show me where I have formed an opinion based on this review.

I read ALL of the europen reviews on the car in the 12 months before it was released in Australia... and it's funny that the main commnets made where "Type-R civic still best value for money" and "180 will still leave you enjoying it every day". Maybe it's because they reviewed it for what it is... Peugeot's attempt at offering a 2000's styled proper hot hatch.
    Huh?

PS: I stick to my guns about Jap tyres. I haven't had a good experience with them since the mid 90's when they where actively particiapting in motor sport in this country. I offered an opinion on Jap tyres based on MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Not on some review i read. And as i pointed out in that post, i know 7 other people with varying types of cars, including the jap cars the tyres should suit best, and they all have a problem with them.
    So you, in your infinite wisdom, decide that this is due to the country of origin.

Hey I had a set of Michelin tyres on my 306. They were crap. Hey I also had some Pirellis on my Dads car. Crap again. There much be some link between these occurances.....wait....I KNOW! THEY ALL COME FROM EUROPE. Damn Euro tyres. Don't buy Euro tyres, they all suck.

Perhaps you should tell Michael Schumacher that he can go faster if his tyres are made in a different country.

So, maybe you're the one who's going out on a limb making ridiculous comments about them being good??
    Show me where I said that.

Or maybe it's just an opinion.. but atleast it's one you can comment on because you. like myself, have had EXPERIENCE directly with these products.
    Great! I don't have any problems with opinions, it's just the brainfart comments that came with it.

don't put Jap tyres (Yokohama, Kuhmo etc) on the Mi
    Thats what you said. Kuhmo aren't Japanese btw.

I suggested Euro tyres.. and you all bagged them because "they are to expensive".
    Did I?

Ohh, didums... Not my fault you can;t justify the increased cost.
    Nice assumption bud.

Personelly.. if i can drive my car with a big grin on my face around every corner.. i don't care how much my tyres are.
    You're a marketing dream

some people take their cars too seriously, why don't you all have a knife fight over it.

Oh that's gold fellas.

Stone Free, Bob Jane is your best bet. That's who I used in Sydney. They will eventually get it right, it's just hard on a car with an LSD...

I hope so GT, thanks.

Did you read those Top Gear reviews??

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I hope so GT, thanks.

Did you read those Top Gear reviews??
    I've read most reviews (and still have them) on the RS. Very nice car. Hopefully they'll have a hero car like that as a regular model when Focus II comes out.

Jester fu, I can't find the tyre thread where you made those comments, but I did respond stating where a whole bunch of tyres are manufactured...yet I heard nothing back. Would you care to elaborate on what tyres in particular you have experienced and were dissatisfied? In typical AF style, we are nowhere near the original topic of this, but that's pretty normal for us.

some people take their cars too seriously, why don't you all have a knife fight over it.
    bhahah knife fight gold dude

I hve not really had probs balancing my Gti6 rims..i got them done on car balance.

Ummm i havent really noticed them vibrating and ive done over 220 with them and was constantly doing over 140kmoh last year at Philip Island.

I think all u ppl need to chillax after all we only drive peugeots and contrary to what alot of u may think they are not the greatest, best handling, best built drivers cars in the world. They are just a middle range Euro car of course they are gonna have faults and compromises every single car does.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

WRCPUG, is that your car on your avatar?? They aren't the standard rims are they...unless you have had them changed since. We shall see what good ol' Bob Jane can do

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information