Not happy
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Not happy

Tadpole

Default Not happy

Hi all,

I've been to the dealer last Saturday some of the guys here "recommended" (It's in Sydney), but I turned out to be really unhappy about the service I received.

Disappointment 1:
    - I requested to test drive a GTi. They gave me a 2nd hand car with a 3 inch aftermarket exhaust so loud that I couldn't hear anything apart from the exhaust. The steering wheel is grey (the black bits all peeled off). It drove like a piece of crap. Other 2nd ones I have driven are just about 101% better (private sale cars).

Disappointment 2:
    - I wasn't really gonna to sell my own car to the dealer but since I haven't sold it (privately) yet, hey, why not I just let them value it? They offered me $9k for a 2002 Mazda Protege with only 24,000km on it. Mind you, Renault offered me $13k for my car with $2k off the new Clio Sport; Mazda offered me $14.5k with $1.5k off the new SP23; Mini offered me $14k with the new July production Mini Cooper that's not even released in Australia. $9k is pathetic. Only because they couldn't make money on the new one...

Disappointment 3:
    - When I told them about what other dealers offered me? They laughed at me as if I'm a lier or something. The sales person there (name starting with a "M") tried his very best to argue with me about the trade-in price (which I don't think is a good thing to do to your customer). While I show him the Redbook, which says the appropriate trade-in price for a '02 Protege price is $12-13k with 40,000-50,000km, and mine is only 24,000km. He still tried to pick on the km saying it's not relevent. I got so pissed off with his attitute (not constructive at all, he's just trying to win the argument instead of constructively trying to achieve something during the conversation). The manager is better (at least he listened, which the sales rep didn't), but still he looked like I lied to him about others trade-in or something. Lastly he said "You might as well just go get other cars" in a "mean" way.

Advertisement

Well, I did. I bought the Mini and I'll never walk back to the Peugeot dealer. I walked into the dealership with my chequebook, now BMW's got my cheque and I'm happy.

Bye,
    The PM

Chequebook voting that is the best way, however I would go back to the dealers and see the one who told you to go and get the other car. Just thank him for pointing you in the right direction, making sure he sees you step back into your Mini. Reminds me of a scene in Pretty Woman.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

What is the difference in the July production mini to the current mini???

if i was in your position i would have done the same. some car sales men are really out of touch with customer service.

Hope you enjoy your Mini. great car!

Yup, good call.
    I hate it when you've found the car you want & the dealer is absolute crap. Its like we have to beg them to hand over our hard earnt dollars. Please can we put money in your pocket. Arrogant, no test drive, treat you like a 2 yr old.

Our local dealer had care factor zero even when we were prepared (cash deposits) to buy two cars that morning. Told us a 180 wasn't meant as a sports or hot hatch, 0-100 times were not published by Peugeot & NO DISCOUNT ON A 307 XSE!!!

Ended up driving across town & bought them on the same day.

My mate wanted a Xr6 turbo & the dealer gave him the keys to a XT & suggested he try this first. WHAT THE?????? The guys 25, not on L plates...

Well done PM, Nothing makes you more angry then dealers who are absolute tools.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by The PM
    Well, I did. I bought the Mini and I'll never walk back to the Peugeot dealer. I walked into the dealership with my chequebook, now BMW's got my cheque and I'm happy. Bye, The PM
    Just make sure you drive back there in the new car .. they'll scoff at you, but kick themselves on the inside. Oh if you have a mini now be prepared to get PAID out on - kidding.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by element
    Ended up driving across town & bought them on the same day.
    At least you have a choice ... can't wait until we do.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Leo
    Tadpole

There's still an element of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Gil on Crown Street, Surry Hills twice let me loose in a test car by myself.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    There's still an element of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Gil on Crown Street, Surry Hills twice let me loose in a test car by myself.
    And what did you end up buying ?

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

The PM, First of all, let me say congrats on your new purchase! The mini is very well made and I'm sure you'll enjoy it heaps.

With regards to how the dealer acted, geez it made me sooo angry to read that. I honestly don't know how you managed to keep your calm when they treated you with such arrogance. As everyone else suggested, I would do the same and drive your new mini to the dealership and politely thank the manager there for pointing you in the right direction
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    if i was in your position i would have done the same. some car sales men are really out of touch with customer service.
    your so right reno

this the thing that is starting to s**t me.

Most people these days, excluding those that dont use the net or read know what car they want and why they want it. Car sales now adays should only be about customer service, cause thats all thats left to do from the customers point of view. When I test drove cars, i narrowed it down to the 180. I rang around, and some dealerships that I actually spoke to in person would say, "well we can beat that price, but we wont tell you what it is until you come in and see us". I had already been in and heard it.

Thats why I went with a dealer who was no pressure (even though I could have supposedly saved some more). That was until I dealt with the manager. Who at the end of the day mad me feel silly because I wanted a car with low km's. Also had some wise cracks at me. If I hadnt already paid would have walked away.

Anyway, the 180 is the best hatch in the land IMHO, hands down. Thats my opinion, and I like them all. But I hear your grievance in regards to purchase time.

Dont get me wrong, I have had similar experiences with all brands, its not a strictly peugeot thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Gil on Crown Street, Surry Hills twice let me loose in a test car by myself.
    I dealt with Gil last year when enquiring on trading my 306 for a 307. He gave a poor valuation of my car citing that it had been in a fair accident and the whole car has been resprayed.

I questioned this, as the car had never ever been in an accident and I hadn't even polished the paint in about 3 years - it was just in bloody good nick anyway. He wouldn't beleive me. Twit.

We bought a 307 the next week elsewhere.

FWIW, there's always an element in the car selling game that carry on like that; they're the ones that get car dealers bad names.
    I had a couple like that working for me over the years............for about 5 minutes.
    My suggestion is that if they have a petrol bowser at their set up or an accessories section, go there, park the car in a very conspicuos place; buy about $10 fuel or a bottle of tyre black and try to catch the tyre kickers eye. (Best time is when he sneaks outside for a fresh pack of Winnie Blues). No need for theatrics, just a quick "Hoy!!.....alright hey??" (pointing at the car) and drive off;
    Best one I ever did was the old bushie who walked into the local F**d dealer and was driving an old Army Jeep. Nobody wanted to talk to him and eventually he was spoken to like he was some old deadbeat and then ignored again. Came to see me, I sat him down, had a yarn, found out he was for real and sold him a new car, two utes and a 4WD.
    He went out to the Jeep, came in with an old bikky tin in his hand and paid cash & I do mean c.a.s.h.
    The F**d man had bowsers right at his showroom door so the old bugger insisted on driving each car down and getting a few bobs worth of fuel in each vehicle as he collected them over the following couple of days; walking into the showroom on each occasion, looking at the F**ds on the floor & saying to the salesmen in very sincere tones..."Geez, I wish you fellas woulda treated me right; I'd a loved to have owned one o' them!!" whereupon he would pay the bowser boy as he walked out only to return again in another new vehicle and repeat the dose. As he kept saying to me "I love looking at that smart arses face every time I turn up in another newy; I reckon he'll %&*&%^% shoot himself before the week's out."

Revenge can be sweet...another commission he can't spend..

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 10th July 2004 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Too many thumbs when typing
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

you should come over to sleepy ol Adelaide to buy your 180. The dealer here through me the keys of a new 180 with 30 K,s on the clock and said see you when you get back, take it for a hour or two!!!!
    When they did give me the change over price on the 180 they where the best change over price by far, better than the Alfa dealer (had 2001 156 as trade in) and miles in front of the Jap dealers.
    Ive bought quite a few cars over the years and the guys at Taylor's where great with no problems. Come over and spend your money in our state and boost our economy!!!!
    PS buy the 180 its a terrific liitle car

Leo
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    And what did you end up buying ?

- XTC206 -
    I bought a red GTi. I didn't have a trade-in.

Good form! You bought the better car anyway.

Nick

As I sell cars for a job the Redbook often leads people up the wrong path. I tend to shudder when people refer to it, cos it will usually be miles out. Without really knowing, $9500 or so sounds ridiculous for a 2002 Protege. If that was for real as a valuation, then someone there is a fool. And if they were playing games, then they were just foolish too. Dickheads!
    Congratulations on the mini. They are great aren't they.

Tadpole

Thanks guys

The Mini is a great hatch, so is the 206... pity about their customer service

The July production Mini's got a new front and rear bumpers, new Getrag gearbox so rolling start times are slightly better now. They've also introduced the Chilli Pack into the Mini range, which is basically an option pack for a cheaper price...

Customer service really does play a part in a car purchase - especially when both cars ranked so close in my mind (Mini is better built, handles a bit better, and the steering is a bit more accurate; 206's got way more power, more kit for the $$)...

Anyway I wouldn't let those ppl ruined my happy new car buying experience, now I can't wait for my new Mini, which is not due until September (they just started making them July in UK, I was told that it'll take them a while to get here)

Quote Originally Posted by inxs
    you should come over to sleepy ol Adelaide to buy your 180. The dealer here through me the keys of a new 180 with 30 K,s on the clock and said see you when you get back, take it for a hour or two!!!!
    When they did give me the change over price on the 180 they where the best change over price by far, better than the Alfa dealer (had 2001 156 as trade in) and miles in front of the Jap dealers.
    Ive bought quite a few cars over the years and the guys at Taylor's where great with no problems. Come over and spend your money in our state and boost our economy!!!!
    PS buy the 180 its a terrific liitle car
    inxs, yeah I bought my car from Taylors too. The salesman I dealt with was very good, and though he made me wait a while before he came down to my price, he didn't hold any sort of grudge afterwards and was always professional and friendly. Their service manager (who'd recently came over from Mazda) was excellent. Definitely the best service I've ever seen from a dealership. I have heard some not so good things about Taylors from people who've dealt with them a few years back, but everyone I know who's had anything to do with them in the last year or two has only good things to say.

In today's 'information age' dealerships etc should really take not of how quickly they can gain a reputation, good or bad, and how fast and wide it can spread.

Inxs, btw would you be interested in coming along for the next drive-day we hold?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Its a pity the old manners have faded with the new breed of sales persons.
    Back in the 70's I had a 404 I bought through Norm Saville and when the new 504's came out I happened to be at Chatswood and dropped into see Mr Seymour. I finished up withthe car for the weekend. ( Yes I did buy one but much later. ) This proved not to be an exception as when the 505 came out he rang me to see if I was interested in having one for a while. Unfortunately I drove it down Delhi Rd and nearly lost it through the bends. Turned out the rear tre was underinflated.
    The late Alan Mackay of Moss Vale was also of the genltleman breed who always sent Christmas cards.
    When my relation retired from Inchcape after many years with BMC et al, he enquired as to the purchase price of a 306 to him. Sorry no can do. Pay normal.
    Off to Subaru and picked up one at dock price.

Too may accountants running things now for a "profit for shareholders".

I would forward all sales complaints to Peugeot Australia with a copy to France and with the dealer principle being named. Its is surprising what poor dealer reputation responses get in higher circles.

Bon chance

PJW

Donít forget the aftermarket service as well though Ö whatís the point in having a fantastic car if they canít repair it properly.

I recently went through hell when my gearbox failed and the dealer had Ďforgottení to register the extended warranty, resulting in me having to provide the payment receipts and credit card statements prove that I had legitimately bought and paid for the warranty ... I bought the car almost 4 years ago, thankfully I kept all the warranty receipts. The car sat for three weeks untouched while the dealer sorted out who was responsible for paying for the repair before they even ordered the parts, leaving me without transport despite the fact that the delays in repairing the car were their fault in the first place. Since then the car has been back over ten times to try to get the replacement gearbox working correctly Ö so much for customer service.

I absolutely love driving my Pug and we are in the market for a second car, but I canít bring myself to buy another Peugeot while there is only one dealer here.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Whitton
    Too may accountants running things now for a "profit for shareholders".
    Yep ... responsibilty isn't to employees or customers any more .. very sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Whitton
    I would forward all sales complaints to Peugeot Australia with a copy to France and with the dealer principle being named. Its is surprising what poor dealer reputation responses get in higher circles.
    They certainly don't ignore them ... but when you only have one dealer to choose from, they also know you're over a barrel with your pants at least 1/2 way down.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information