New GTi-6 Owner
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: New GTi-6 Owner

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default New GTi-6 Owner

HI there everyone.

I thought I'd post as I am a new GTi-6 owner. Great looking car, fanatstic to drive etc.

I do have a couple of questions:

The dealer I bought it off said that there were only 450 gti-6s in Oz. Is this true??

Also, the colour I have bought is Blaze yellow, which the dealer said only came with the GTi-6. Is this also true? I think I have seen standard 306s with that colour around the place.

Advertisement

I have also read reviews from the UK where they incessently mention the cam belt. Is this such a major concern over here due to the fact that we drive them a lot less stop/start?? (having driven in the UK for a year or so, believe me, rush hour here is nothing.)

Thanks guys.

Excellent choice of car!

Don't know how many were imported here but I do know that the XSi also came in Blaze Yellow.

The cambelt should be replaced every 80,000 or 4 years. It is about a $750 job.
    2001 306 Rallye

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubara
    Excellent choice of car!

Don't know how many were imported here but I do know that the XSi also came in Blaze Yellow.

The cambelt should be replaced every 80,000 or 4 years. It is about a $750 job.

450 sounds pretty close

there were only going to be 50 but that soon changed

GTi-6's don't like to idle as it puts a lot of strain on the belt more so than when driving so don't sit it on traffic day in day out

a cam belt change should be around the $400 mark and i have been told by a dealer that the charge is around $370 to do a belt on the GTi-6
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    HI there everyone.

I thought I'd post as I am a new GTi-6 owner. Great looking car, fanatstic to drive etc.

Thanks guys.
    Just curious - did you buy this car from ULR on Commercial Road? they had one there (and a Burgundy later model GTI badged '6 for $1k more).. If so, great to see an AFer bought it
    chuckb (1994 405Mi16)

Welcome to Aussiefrogs! Very Nice ride!

Blaze yellow was also available in the XSi. It was only a colour for 2 years, I believe.

Yes, only about 450 were ever sold here.

Cam belt is ESSENTIAL. Every 4 years, regardless of kms, you just don't want to risk it. Major carnage occurs if it lets go.

rek

Re the cambelt, I would be thinking even 80,000 is a bit long. Yeah it is that much of a worry (mine started going very dodgy -- could hear its frayings slapping against the timing cover -- at about 58,000)

As for numbers, according to this article, it's closer to 300-ish in the country? http://www.autoweb.com.au/A_52562/cms/newsarticle.html
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Ha ha, yeah, it was from ULR on Commercial Rd! The dealer said that they had the burgundy one which would have been very tasty. Mind you, the price on this one was very good, Got him down to $18990. I test drove a new 206GTi and was very disappointed, especially after driving my girlfriend's S3 205GTi. There was just no punch in the acceleration, but anyway, I preferred the older 306 shape anyway.

The car has done 64000 km, so I guess the cam belt would need to be done soon I guess. All the reviews from the UK work in Miles so it is a bit hard to gauge. It's really my only main concern.

Never had a car this flash before. Anyone know of a good insurance company?? I'm presently with AAMI, but they are charging me $860 premium for a year (rating 1).

HI there everyone.

I do have a couple of questions:

The dealer I bought it off said that there were only 450 gti-6s in Oz. Is this true??

Also, the colour I have bought is Blaze yellow, which the dealer said only came with the GTi-6. Is this also true? I think I have seen standard 306s with that colour around the place.

I have also read reviews from the UK where they incessently mention the cam belt. Is this such a major concern over here due to the fact that we drive them a lot less stop/start?? (having driven in the UK for a year or so, believe me, rush hour here is nothing.)

Thanks guys.
    Welcome to Aussie Frogs!

Congrats on your purchase! I've only had my '6 for about 7 months and it's been heaps of fun!

Every pug mechanic I've spoken to stresses the importance of checking the cambelt. I've been told it must be changed every 80,000 kms OR every 4 yrs, whichever comes first. So a 5 yr old gti6 with 70,000 kms on it is a potential $$$$ burner.

edit: doh, sorry for repeating exactly what everyone else has said, I should've read all the posts before I posted.
    Last edited by jastanis; 7th July 2004 at 01:51 PM.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Icon14

Ha ha, yeah, it was from ULR on Commercial Rd! The dealer said that they had the burgundy one which would have been very tasty. Mind you, the price on this one was very good, Got him down to $18990. I test drove a new 206GTi and was very disappointed, especially after driving my girlfriend's S3 205GTi. There was just no punch in the acceleration, but anyway, I preferred the older 306 shape anyway.
    Figured - I live in one of the adjoining streets and had a test drive of that car a couple of months back, but decided to go for 4 doors and a little less power and save some dosh (S2 405 Mi16). They're kinda weird there, they putting the "SORRY! I'M SOLD!" note on the car, then the car disappears for a bit, then its back with no note.. then a few weeks later the note appears again. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for all of that, since I dont understand dealers much. I noticed the Yellow '6 go from there a few days ago so when you say you just bought it from a dealer, it was a pretty fair guess .

Never had a car this flash before. Anyone know of a good insurance company?? I'm presently with AAMI, but they are charging me $860 premium for a year (rating 1).
    Me either I recently bought a series 2 Mi16 (not quite as flash, to be sure, but quite comfy and quick all the same), and a few have recommended me towards NRMA. Would be interested to hear what sort of premium you end up paying for your '6 (figure my boat should be only a little more (age) to insure, which I haven't done yet).

Once again, congrats!

chuckb (1994 405Mi16)

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Welcome to Aussiefrogs! Very Nice ride!

Blaze yellow was also available in the XSi. It was only a colour for 2 years, I believe.

Yes, only about 450 were ever sold here.

Cam belt is ESSENTIAL. Every 4 years, regardless of kms, you just don't want to risk it. Major carnage occurs if it lets go.

in this thread are some pics of what can happen when a belt lets go at around 1700rpm

i'm surprised no one actually picked it when i put the pics in there
    XU9J4 (BX/405) vs XU10J4 (Xsara VTS/GTI6)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

sh!t yeah, i never noticed that the tips of the exhaust valves had been mashed against the top of the piston. i wondered why the head was off. $ouchie$

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    sh!t yeah, i never noticed that the tips of the exhaust valves had been mashed against the top of the piston. i wondered why the head was off. $ouchie$

actually it wasn't that bad seeing as i got the parts from overseas for about 1/3 of the price for them here from a dealer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

In the UK the cambelt has gone as low as 35,000 miles (despite the initial pug recommendation of 72,000 miles from memory). I replaced my cambelt, tensioners and water pump at 30,000 miles just to be safe.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Well, the car WAS initially sold, but the prospective owner pulled out. That's why the lopped $2500 off the price (long story that I won't go into here). So, it is now mine. It's in getting tinited windows and paint protect. I have asked about the cam belt but as yet no word.

Is it a job that Autoparis could do?? Mind you, the car now has a 3 month warranty, so if it goes in the next 3 months I could get a full engine re-build thanks to ULR

Well, the car WAS initially sold, but the prospective owner pulled out. That's why the lopped $2500 off the price (long story that I won't go into here). So, it is now mine. It's in getting tinited windows and paint protect. I have asked about the cam belt but as yet no word.
    Well, I knew there was a logical explanation . Enjoy!
    chuckb (1994 405Mi16)

Thread Information