205 - TOP Radiator Hose
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 - TOP Radiator Hose

Hi All,

The top radiator hose on my 205 goes from the top of the radiator to the top of the engine (under the airflow meter).

This pipe also has two lines running down to form some sort of a water jacket around the oil filter point (why?? It can't be cooling the oil can it?? water temp runs hotter then the oil...)

I've been told that this pipe is over $200 alone. Can anyone see a reason why I have to replace the pipe with the same configuration?

I was thinking if getting some sort of a standard hose and just run it from the top of the radiator to the top of the engine (i.e no two lines going down to the oil filter thingy).

Advertisement

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

Yep, the two lines coming off it head off somewhere to go cool the oil. I had mine replaced a while ago and I paid over $200 for an original part. I can check the exact price if you like.

Before he found the original, my mechanic was going to make up a hose using a hand made brass tee for the joins. Probably cheaper, but it would be fiddly.

He also gave me the option of by-passing it altogether, since the oil seems to run cool anyway. I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea if you raced the thing.

In regards to the water being hotter, I don't know what temperature the oil runs at, but it's not as simple as the temperature difference. Specific heats are different and the method of heat exchange matters.

Pete
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

Pete, (and others)

I've sourced this pipe from a supplier in Melbourne for $97!!! While 97 for some rubber hose is expensive.. I'm very happy as I called Peugeot Aust and the retail is $192

Quote Originally Posted by plasmapug
    Yep, the two lines coming off it head off somewhere to go cool the oil. I had mine replaced a while ago and I paid over $200 for an original part. I can check the exact price if you like.

Before he found the original, my mechanic was going to make up a hose using a hand made brass tee for the joins. Probably cheaper, but it would be fiddly.

He also gave me the option of by-passing it altogether, since the oil seems to run cool anyway. I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea if you raced the thing.

In regards to the water being hotter, I don't know what temperature the oil runs at, but it's not as simple as the temperature difference. Specific heats are different and the method of heat exchange matters.

Pete
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

Good stuff!

Although, I now feel like a right dill for paying $209 . I guess I deserve it if I don't bother looking for parts. Would this supplier be any good for other stuff in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B
    Pete, (and others)

I've sourced this pipe from a supplier in Melbourne for $97!!! While 97 for some rubber hose is expensive.. I'm very happy as I called Peugeot Aust and the retail is $192
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

Thread Information