405 Cat problem?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 405 Cat problem?

Folks, apologies for the duplication firstly. My problem appears to be very much like what was mentioned in this thread:

405 catalytic converter

I'm hoping some of those original correspondants see my whining and can chip in

Advertisement

I have a S2 405 Mi16. The thing has in the last day or so gotten a rattle which eminates from around the catalytic converter. The rattle is quiet at idle, then gets louder as you advance the throttle.

This morning the symptoms got worse - the engine now goes flat and runs out of puff above around ~3500rpm. It was suggested in that referenced thread that it could be a clogged cat, but this was not confirmed by the original author.

I've PM'd the original author (PaulRoper) to see if he had a resolution but was interested in what other correspondants have to offer.

I did a brief visual inspection and cant see anything obviously broken, loose, etc - no holes in the cat at least on the underside. Given that the problem started without incident, my gut instinct is that something has come loose internally (at first it sounded exactly like an Alfasud thrust washer rattling, but de-clutching didn't remove the noise ).

The vehicle has 110,000kms on it, so I'd expect the odd bit of component failure to be happening here and there (had an ignition coil go three days ago too, so not a good pug week ).

cheers and happy driving
    chuckb (1994 405Mi16)

The noise could just as easily be coming from the muffler. I recently had what I thoutght was a rattly cat on mine that turned out to be a collapsed muffler. Mind you in this case it didn't affect the performance but it is possible that they can.
    If yours is a series 2 then you'll have those 2 diaphram thingos on the intake that seem to have a bad habit of stuffing up whrereupon the owners usually repkace just one and a week later change the other & comment on what a big difference they make.
    I think it was "Brad" who has done a write up on how to diagnose this fault but I don't seem to be able to trace it at the moment.
    I think by the sounds of it, that would be where I'd start as to me, you'd have to be very unlucky to have a cat gunked up at this mileage unless you've somehow had the fuel mix contaminated.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

my cat died in a similar fassion, rattles, and no performance, turnedout a peice of cat got lodged in the muffler blockign the flow..

they fished it out with a peice of wire...
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    If yours is a series 2 then you'll have those 2 diaphram thingos on the intake that seem to have a bad habit of stuffing up whrereupon the owners usually repkace just one and a week later change the other & comment on what a big difference they make.
    I think by the sounds of it, that would be where I'd start as to me, you'd have to be very unlucky to have a cat gunked up at this mileage unless you've somehow had the fuel mix contaminated.
    Alan S
    Just checked - the actuators for the diagraphms are moving as expected as you open the throttle, and after you close it.

The sound is coming from the back of the cat - it sounds, at least, like Madbiker could be right. Will get the cat off and check it out.

Thanks guys.
    chuckb (1994 405Mi16)

Tadpole

Default Noisy Exhaust system

I also own and drive a series 2 mi16 (1996) mdl, and the car has only done 96,000 km, and I have a similair noise, however no loss in performance as you mention. I only get intermitant pulsing , which I assume could be fixed with an injector clean......... dose any one know when the injectors on such a car are due for cleaning?

Goodluck finding the noise, I intent to get a new system on mine, but leave the beautifull extractors on ofcourse!!!

the sound may be from the flange between the headers and the exhaust system. Mine gave up a while a go now and it sounded rattly after it went....just a thought.....

I had a cat problem with my SRDT the other night, stupid moggy ran out on to the road, and I squashed it. Bloody troublesome these cats.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

The cat on my 405 is still the one fitted at the factory back in 1995 & has covered 116 000 MILES & its still working fine & has just passed an exhaust emissions test last month as part of the U.K.s MOT.

Quote Originally Posted by LeePower
    The cat on my 405 is still the one fitted at the factory back in 1995 & has covered 116 000 MILES & its still working fine & has just passed an exhaust emissions test last month as part of the U.K.s MOT.
    Cats should last a long time, mine was replaced at 180,000 after 10 years on the car - they do break as they are made of ceramic and glass, so when the bottom of the car bottoms out, it can crack them, once they crack the heat expantion in them will eventually eat its inners out and put large chunks of ceramic into the exhaust creating a blockage....

The rattle you hear is the peices rattlign in the cat space...
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    I think you're Cat assumption is pretty good. I recall my S2 Mi doing the same thing just before it got the cat replaced. Normally with you're diaphrams playing up, you'll get an irregular idle as well as a drop in power. If you can get under the car, give the cat a bang, and see if it rattles. If it does, you've found the culprate... goodbye, kitty!
    Yep, it was the cat - it'd be pretty hard to mis-diagnose the sound - it was very loud . Genuine replacement part is about $1200, so I'm told. Ended up costing me $450 (Universe motors, Richmond, Vic) for an OEM replacement part (inc lab).

So, now my 405 has new front strut inserts, tierod ends and control arm bushes, new engine and steering box mounts, and new cat (heh). It's fun - anyone want a drive?

thanks for the info everyone
    Last edited by chuckb; 15th July 2004 at 02:08 PM.
    chuckb (1994 405Mi16)

Thread Information