heater question
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: heater question

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default heater question

ok this is probably something really simple but for the life of me i can't recall what the copper coil is for on a heater matrix

i have a 604 heater matrix here spare but it is gunked up and the one in the car has a crack in the tap so the tap needs to be replaced

but what does the copper wire for the coils around on the matrix and then into the tap ?

Advertisement

the next question after that is can i be without it as it's a PITA to pull the matrix out (well not really that bad but something i'd rather not do this close to the weekend)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

forgot to add

i'd like to know before i pull the car apart tomorrow otherwise i am either going to try and feed the other coil in under the current one with the new tap or just cut the copper wire off

and before anyone replies about it bieng a climate control thing i don't think it has anything to do with something as modern as that as i have seen the same thing on 404's

what i want to know is what the copper coil does and can i be without it ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

ok

i'm just about to go out an tackle the heater again

i worked out the relevance of the coil thing hanging off the tap by testing it in front of the gas heater last night

as the coil warms up it opens the tap up further to allow more flow through the heater matrix

so in that case i'll be attempting to fit it all in the way Mr Peugeot intended

just thought i'd post my findings in case someone else in the future wants to know what the copper coil does on the heaters of our cars
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hi Pugrambo,

About the copper coil on the heater matrix to the water flow tap.

Quote “and before anyone replies about it being a climate control thing i don't think it has anything to do with something as modern as that as i have seen the same thing on 404's”
    404`s had many advanced features for their time…
    It IS a primitive form of climate control, well …..sort of…

The water flow through the heater tap and matrix is controlled by the air temperature exiting the heater matrix, NOT the position of the hot/cold dashboard lever, except where the lever is in the fully hot or fully cold position.

When starting from cold and with the heat control in the mid position there is a full flow of water through the matrix. as the engine warms up, the air through the matrix rises until it reaches the control(mid position of lever, say 60degrees c) setting, then the water flow is restricted by the feedback from the air temperature sensor (copper coil) to maintain the said 60degrees c.
    This gets the temperature in the car up to your comfort setting as soon as possible and maintains it, needing no adjustments, leaving the driver to concentrate on the task at hand

Quote “can i be without it ?”
    If you cut or break the copper you will loose the mid range adjustment of your heater leaving only on or off as the only options.

It appears to be an unnecessary complexity and expense but then, it is french after all, just another part of the charm, I don’t think any other manufacturers use it. But some know all out there is almost certain to post a correction to that.
    Caution is required when physically removing the heater. One of The hoses connecting to the core mounts on a plastic housing on the rear of the heater box, the $$$$ plastic housing is very that is VERY easy to break. In a 504 it is an absolute @%$&***$# and almost impossible to get at, I have no reason to think that your car would be any easier.

Just another part of the charm of French cars, some things are not necessarily worse than other cars, on the other hand not all things are better, but different, sometimes very different. We probably all knew that anyway.

I hope this has re-energized those brain cells that had forgotten what it was you had forgotten.

Cheers Ranger.
    PS I prepared the response before I read your third post
    Quote” as the coil warms up it opens the tap up further to allow more flow through the heater matrix”
    Sorry, but here I disagree, its LESS flow as the coil warms up.
    Ranger.
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Thread Information