505 won't go
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 won't go

dbc

Default 505 won't go

I am considering buying a '84 505 STI which an elderly lady who lives nearby wants to sell.
    The car does not start - in fact the engine does not even turn over.
    The elderly lady does not know what is wrong, but it is possible that her idiot son may have tried to jump start it connecting the positive terminal of the booster battery to the negative terminal of the flat battery. Or vice versa.
    If this is the case, what is the likely extent of damage. I should have thought that the entire electrical system is cooked, meaning an expensive repair.
    Any ideas?

Advertisement
    1969 16TS
    1995 405 SRI

being an STI most of your problems are likely to be mechanical, we bough a 504 TI from a so called mechanic that wouldn't go, the only thing that was wrong with it was the tuning. but if its beyond that and it won't start at all then yes i would start to look at electricals, maybe the igniton or starter mothor might have died as well, if it goes beyond that then somone elses ideas might help, either way unless the engine has blown up there is nothing electronic that can go wrong with a 505 STI engine
    Last edited by orestes; 6th July 2004 at 04:55 PM.

dbc

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    unless the engine has blown up there is nothing electronic that can go wrong with a 505 STI engine
    Unless of course someone tried to jump start the car incorrectly, as is supposed to have occurred in this case.
    1969 16TS
    1995 405 SRI

Quote Originally Posted by dbc
    Unless of course someone tried to jump start the car incorrectly, as is supposed to have occurred in this case.
    that will hurt alternators, radios and more senstitive stuff, but I doubt it damaged the starter/ignition switch. Start with the obvious - fully charged battery, does it get power to the starter main terminal, does the solenoid get power from the switch?

i have never hooked up a set of jumper cables incorectly, and i don't know the exact adverse affects, but either way i can't see how it can do much damage to a purely mechanical engine. the engine should be fine it would be things like the starter, fuses, ignition etc and maybe the batery
    Last edited by orestes; 6th July 2004 at 05:09 PM.

well.. is it worth the risk replacing the altinator . .. starter... fuss box... ??

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    i have never hooked up a set of jumper cables incorectly, and i don't know the exact adverse affects, but either way i can't see how it can do much damage to a purely mechanical engine. the engine should be fine it would be things like the starter, fuses, ignition etc and maybe the batery

onnly that once the car has ignition everything is powered with the wrong way around

depending on how long it was hooked up back to front for it could be anything form a minor burn out to a full scale burn out

try a battery in the car and see what works and what doesn't and then go from there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

you would think that the sparks and smoke would cause you to remove the lead before much damage could be done, but it takes all kinds. As suggested try a battery if you get lights on the dash then that is a good sign, and you can try turning it over. I would be checking all the fuses and fusible links as well.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Does the engine turn over freely by hand? Snapped cambelt? Blown headgasket, cylinders filled with water? Is there a solenoid clunk/click of any sort from the starter?

I am considering buying a '84 505 STI
    extent of damage. I should have thought that the entire electrical system is cooked, meaning an expensive repair.
    Any ideas?
    Nahh - a bad attempt at a jump start may blow fuses or an Alternator but nothing all that serious on an STI.

Did it drive to where it is now - or was it towed? Check the oil for water in case its been cooked (bad sign) & perhaps pull out a sparkplug. Is there a lot of oil leaking about the front of the motor? This caused cam belt to snap in mine. But even then it can usually turn over.
    Starter motors/solenoids pack up a lot too - you usualy hear at least a 'click' .
    How long has it been like that? Could be an ultra dead battery.
    Keep us posted. If you dont want it let us know, especially if its brown or bronze!
    So many projects - so little time.

I seriously doubt that putting the leads on the wrong way would damage the car too much. As has been stated previously, all of the sparks and smoke produced from doing such a thing would encourage someone to take the leads off quick smart. I confirm that it was quite and amazing display of pyrotechnics when a mate of mine stupidly put some jump leads on the wrong way around on my STI the wrong way around!

There have been a few instances in which my STI wouldn't start, the latest of which was caused by the cells in my battery collapsing. I went out, started the car, no problem. I had to go back inside to get something so turned it off. Upon going back outside to start it, nothing..... My basic troubleshooting theroy is that if a car doesn't start, it's either not getting fire or fuel, so I hooked it up to the girlfriends carf and it started right away. Went out and bought a new battery, hooked it up, went and had the alternator/starter motor checked and all is good. A pretty simple fix in this instance but is testimony as to where you should start.
    If it's been sitting for a while added with the onset of winter, a new battery will be well appreciated by the car regardless of what's wrong with it.

Even if there is a problem with te starter motor, you should be able to hear a clicking noise, or it may even try to start and sound as though it has a flat battery.
    If there is a problem with the Alternator, the car "should" start regardless.

This may sound a little silly, but make sure that the transmission is not stuck in one of the driving gears. I'm not afraid to admit that I have, I'm sure there are plenty of others out there too, fallen prey to leaving the car in reverse or drive and left wondering why it wouldn't start

Other than the engine being seized, there is not too much that can go wrong or that is terribly horrible to fix.

Even if you can't get it going straight away, I'd recommend taking it off the poor old lady's hands and breathing life back into the STI. They are a lovely car to drive!

Let us all know how you go.

Chris
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

There won't be any sparks if the battery in the car was actually completely flat...

solenoids do die silently - mine in the R25 (same starter) just stopped working one day - and it made no clicking noises at all when activated. Put a multimeter on the solenoid lead and see if its getting power from the switch - if so and its got power at the battery lead terminal, then its cactus - easy

Thread Information