205 Mi16 Makeover
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default 205 Mi16 Makeover

Here's the start of my 205 makeover. I've had this shell sitting around for some time. Nobody wanted to buy it as is, my wife said get rid of it, so the obvious thing to do was a 16V restoration. It's a very straight car and in six months time (or there abouts) some lucky person can own this car. I've already been to an engineer for initial consulation and approval, so it's full steam ahead.

First job was to remove the body seam and reweld, so the Mi16 downpipe will clear. Tomorrow it is off to the bead blasters to have the engine bay blasted, then to the panel shop for painting.

Attached are a few shots of important bits and pieces:
    - Mi16 engine
    - shortened inlet manifold
    - tapered wedge plate for the exhaust.
    - removed and welded seam

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Mi16 Makeover-mi16_donk.jpg   205 Mi16 Makeover-rear205.jpg   205 Mi16 Makeover-seam_weld.jpg   205 Mi16 Makeover-short_inlet.jpg   205 Mi16 Makeover-tapered_plate.jpg  
    Last edited by PeterT; 6th July 2004 at 01:18 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter, does shortening the inlet manifold affect the power of the engine in any way, given from what I understand, length being important for desired torque at revs?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Peter, does shortening the inlet manifold affect the power of the engine in any way, given from what I understand, length being important for desired torque at revs?
    We've had this inlet manifold on an Mi16 (car) and you can't tell the difference.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Cal

Pity someone doesn't secure it now. That way it could be built to their specs.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

If I could just bump into that money tree I'd be up on this in a flash

Just waiting for things to fall into place (searching the sky-line for pigs with wings)

Some lucky bugger is going to end up with a very nice 205.

20 bucks PeterT likes it so much he keeps it

Dave

Bare metal. Ready for paint. What colour? Original or BMW M3 Imola Red?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Mi16 Makeover-frontblasted.jpg   205 Mi16 Makeover-scuttle.jpg   205 Mi16 Makeover-cabin.jpg   205 Mi16 Makeover-imola_red.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

How much are you planning on selling it for when she's done?

-- DJ

i would change the colour all together... go for a different stand out look.

Changing colour adds considerable cost, so I'd say the original colour will stay. It all depends how good the existing paint looks. Looking at around $12K.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

peter,

Looking good, is that car in the bottom pic?? I'm just confuse a bit ... thats not the original colour?

Cheers Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    peter,

Looking good, is that car in the bottom pic?? I'm just confuse a bit ... thats not the original colour?

Cheers Nick
    No, that's one I found on the 205 forum as an example.

I went out talking to repairers today. The first one, whom I've delt with several times before, was very disappointing. I really don't think they want, or like, restoration work. Take the bonnet for example. It has a ding in the front and pop from the LH strut (see pic.). They said it was unrepairable and would only work with a new one! Same with the LH guard. It's has ding but I thought repairable. Now a new guard from Peugeot costs $350. The same in the UK is 16GBP.

Second place, started off saying quotes were $50. This is an authorised Peugeot repairer. I suggested they come outside and say yes or no first. Once outside, I couldn't hold the bloke back! We forgot about the $50. He was all over the car with tips and suggestions. The bonnet was no problem. The guard was touch and go. But as he said, if that's all you've got to go with, you fix it. So once I get a freight price on a new guard from the UK, I'll take it there.

What about paint though? The original red is reasonably faded but will buff up OK. I'm concerned about a mismatch between old and new. I'm prepared to repaint the whole car if necessary, but changing colour will add cost, as the inside etc. will have to be painted also.

So lets have a vote. Would you prefer original red for say $12K, or pay $12.5K for the BMW M3 Imola red? They're just rough numbers, but the point I'm saying is I'd have to pass on the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Mi16 Makeover-bonnet.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Keep the original I say,
    realistically you want to keep the costs down in this sort of project

Ken

i am very interested in this car! it is what i was planning to do to mine!

i want a car to do motorkhanas and hill climbs and so on in is this the car or would i be better off in a std 205gti. my 205gti is clapped out and i am in the process of deciding how much to spend, glazed front discs stuffed gear linkage, afm needs recalibrating (seriously down on powere and up on fuel consumption and i just drove 700kms and am about to do it again so i can get home again)

is the suspension and brakes going to get attention as well as the gogo unit?

my idea of a nice pug is one that corners goes and then stops when the road runsd out!!

in short depending on the exact modds being performed and the eligability of the car in particular events i am very interested. my main hesitation at the moment is whether or not i should do the conversin to my car my self. dads mechanic has offered me a space in his workshop and i can source all the parts to do the conversin, including the upgrade to s2 s3 grade driveshafts and brakes.

what exactly are you doing to this car? is it the right car to be using in events? i am very interested!!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    i am very interested in this car! it is what i was planning to do to mine!

i want a car to do motorkhanas and hill climbs and so on in is this the car or would i be better off in a std 205gti. my 205gti is clapped out and i am in the process of deciding how much to spend, glazed front discs stuffed gear linkage, afm needs recalibrating (seriously down on powere and up on fuel consumption and i just drove 700kms and am about to do it again so i can get home again)

my idea of a nice pug is one that corners goes and then stops when the road runsd out!!

in short depending on the exact modds being performed and the eligability of the car in particular events i am very interested. my main hesitation at the moment is whether or not i should do the conversin to my car my self. dads mechanic has offered me a space in his workshop and i can source all the parts to do the conversin, including the upgrade to s2 s3 grade driveshafts and brakes.

what exactly are you doing to this car? is it the right car to be using in events? i am very interested!!

Phil Torode and I are just starting a similar project with an early 205 GTI, we plan to use the car on dirt with a bit of bitumen. Once the car is roadworthy we enter an event and see how it goes from there.
    Don't worry about getting the car super fast before you start, just enter some events and you will have a much better idea as to what you need to do to it.
    Give me a call on 0429 939 619 or 03 9859 1412.
    I am in Melbourne.

Graham Wallis

I if it were me i'd prefer the car in the imola red. Looks very sexy.
    White S3 205 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by amcc

It's getting Tarox 40 slot rotors with Pagid pads.

Koni shocks with Bilstein springs.
    Last edited by PeterT; 10th July 2004 at 11:55 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

what really makes me wonder about 205 MI16 conversions is why didnt they ever make them as an option when they were sold new i meen they took a 309 and whacked what was basically an MI16 in it and called it a 309 GTI16

why didn't they make a 205 GTI16 as a model option ?

I think they did in France. LH drive only.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Any more updates Peter

I was enjoying that thread and the photos

There has been 2 or 3 conversion done here in NZ - 2 raced in last years Targa.

Once I have finished mucking around with the Dauphine I would like to do a conversion myself, I have a BX 16v as a donor and a 88 205 GTi lined up, just need the time.

Ross

hey all, a little off topic but i have a question..

In regards to 205's i only see people modifying early model 205s and very rarely/never on s3 models?

just wondering what potential s3's have in regards to engine mods?
    i have a 91' if thats of any help

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    hey all, a little off topic but i have a question..

In regards to 205's i only see people modifying early model 205s and very rarely/never on s3 models?

just wondering what potential s3's have in regards to engine mods?
    i have a 91' if thats of any help

cheers
    The car is at the panel beaters so there's not much to tell. Upon its return though, they'll be plenty of show and tell.

I guess most people do early 205's as there's just more of them. The S3 has a lot more potential for several reasons:
    - closer ratio gearbox
    - Motronic 1.3 ECU (interchangeable with Mi16)
    - larger driveshafts and better brakes

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default 205 Mi16 Makeover

Hi Pete,

Wondering what colour you have decided on. I personally am voting for you to paint it the M3 red. I would pay an extra 500 bucks for that great looking colour. I was amazed how good it looked on a 205.
    Have you thought of painting it in the Miami blue colour that they come in... or the now peugeot 206GTi & GTi180 colours. i.e. Agean Blue, the Metallic Black, The Silver or the Red??

Also what Box will you intend using... As i have a 93' Black S3 that i bought at the beginning of this year. i have noticed that the ratios are differing to the 89' silver/light blue S2 that i had before (my first love) . It seemed that the S2's box gave the car quicker Acc. although that engine had less power, and this S3 box seems better for crusing/touring, but the engine now has more power...puzzling. Or will you end up using the Mi16 Box??

Sorry for the long winded questions as i am in the process of a possible conversion as well. i am wondering what box would be the best to match the Mi16's power band. I might even rip apart a couple of boxes i have in the garage for the right ratios for acc. and top end speed. but the hours might be a tad too daunting. may just settle for the best standard box to suit.

cheers, looking forward to a reply

Sorry, but it's original red. The gearbox I'm using has the later S3 ratios, but with the S1/S2 3.94:1 diff. This translates to a long first, close ratios, but a final overall 5th the approx. the same as the Mi16 box for relaxed cruising.

Have you seen this?
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/tayl...405gearing.htm

The S3 gearbox has the best set of ratios but the 3.62:1 diff is way too long for the 16V engine. Your alternatives are 3.94, 4.06 or 4.43:1. I've got the 4.43 diff with the S3 ratios in my race car. It's all very close and short, with neck snapping accel'n, but you wouldn't want to go for a long drive. At 100km/h it's doing 4000 rpm.

Swapping gear sets between BE1 and BE3 isn't straight forward. Contact Adrian Wuillemin if you get stuck. He's the local expert.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Gear boxes

Thanks Pete.

That info will definately come in handy.
    I personally like the look of the 90kW enigne with the 4.06 Diff as it still lookes to have good acceleration but will have an ok cruising speed up top. I also saw mentioned the posibility of using a GTi-6's 6-speeder for a conversion, in another thread. Would theis be possible and do you know of the benefits for down-sides, and do you know the numbers breakdown or where i can find it, Pete??
    Pity about the colour but i have always had a soft spot for the red. Any ideas on what badging you will use to address the fact that the car is a Mi16 or will you just leave it a sleeper?? And if you can get your hands on good badging like the GTi-16v badge would be interested??

Cheers, Justin...

The 'Alias' was brought about back in high school by a couple of mates...very Very VERY long story.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information