205 Seats - what to do
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 Seats - what to do

Riiight. Seats in the car are very comfy but the fabric is pretty crappy, and they do that thing (that I think all 205s do) where they rock back and forth a bit if you move around in them - a bit loose. Also, holes are starting to pop up a bit, and the stitching between the center and bolsters is coming loose.I'm going to leave the backs, as they are fine.

I've decided that I want to do something, and there's a fair few options, and was wondering if anyone else had done anything like this? Cheapest most likely - get the seats trimmed in some sort of nice velour style (the comfy stuff they put in decent cars that don't have leather), price a full leather trim on the fronts, buy a set of semi-race seats (not full on buckets, but something that is a little more hard-edged that your average car seat), or buy a set of seats (like the Mazda Familia GTX ones that someone had on here) that will fit into it with a little welding and fabrication. I do like my french seats though!

Advertisement

Do 405 seats fit? Has anyone else attempted something like this?

Cheers,
    Nick

Someone?

Tadpole

Default Fabrics:

Have a look at the new range of "warwick macrosuedes" and "Kibby microsuedes". they come in a huge range of colours.
    Tough as hell as they're heavy domestic to heavy commercial rated and the price isn't too huge.

I've got a '87 with average upholstery and that's my long term plan. CAn't help with a trimmer though.

hi nick,

405 seats wont be suitable 'coz you wont be able to recline the seats forward enough to get your girlyfriend outback for any action. im not sure if they will slot into the rack, either.

getting the seats re-apolstered will cost you an arm, leg and testicle - dino (i think) was quoted almost 500 odd to re-apolster one front seat!

stuff that!

how about getting those semi-race seats you mentioned, for about the same price? go the red.

if your greenbacks dont stretch that far, maybe consider seat covers.

you can find seat covers at k-mart and autobahn that bare a slight resemblance to the original cloth. it shouldnt cost you anymore than 30 bucks.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

I'm taking mine (for the 205 Makeover) to a trimmer. Hopefully he'll be able to unpick the middle and put new black sides on, along with new foam.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Getting a trimmer and cost of trimming isn't too much of an issue - the old man just had all the seats for his MGTD built (yes, from scratch), and trimmed in connelly (might have been bridge of wier[sp?] some overpriced english stuff thats green anyway) by the bloke, who is very capable, and now more than willing to do us a bit of a cheapie. I can get two seats done, including fabric (the velour stuff) for a little over $500. Haven't priced leather yet. Unfortunately, I am quite the fan of leather seats.

I reckon I'll just end up either getting them all done in nice velour with a bit of red/grey/black to match it up, or buying some sparcos or something. There is a set of red recaros lying around here, but they're a little too uncompromised to use daily. If I was to put some decent seats in it - would it still be possible to pop them up and down on that great back seat entry setup 205s have? I can't imagine it would be.

Seat covers - not my cup of tea, too "ralliart seat covers in my mirage" for my liking. They sit too loose as well.

...ok...(from what i ve been told).....the 205 gti seats (fronts) aren t the easiest things to retrim "apparently".....I ve seen about 3 or four trimers (inner melb east)...and the cheapest quote was 450 per seat...that was a liitle bit steep for me....considering the cost of aftermarket sports seats....

I had a great "old" trimmer that used to work out the back of a panelbeater just opposite the prehran market...this old guy was so cool....u basically told him what u wanted and he was more than willing to help out and his workmanship was phenomenal....Unfortunatelly hes moved on...lives somewher in the country...dont know where but he was great...
    To give you an idea....He charged me $450 to retrimm the Lancia beta seats (front and back)....thats a TOTAL price which included the mercedes Mbtext (spelling) center panels....I used beige centres and chocolate brown sides and it really looked superb.....in fact...before the car got knocked off...I had sold the seats to a guy who was chasing them for months....
    So what I m trying to say...there are (i m sure) trimmers out there who would do the GTi seat for much less than what I ve been quoted...Its just a matter of shopping around.....but a GOOD and FAIR trimmer(or mechanic) is worth their weight in gold...

cheers

dino

I have a pair of sheapskin seat covers from my Mazda Astina (now sold) which had seats similar to the Mazda GTX. I know this is not the for sale section but seeing as you mention, they are relly excellent quality and are a complete set (front and back) which im sure wouldnt take to much modifying to fit the pug. They are around $600 new for a front pair, im selling for $150 and they have just been dry cleaned which cost $50 itself. They are dark grey in colour.

Thread Information