Mi16 head part 2
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 head part 2

The final chapter ( I hope)

Advertisement

Hi guys an update of this epic saga.
    The head is repaired and the heli-coil is done. Cleaning up the liners revealed pitting in the #1 bore where the gasket had blown and filled the liner with coolant. Iím not sure how long the car sat with water in the cylinder (months) but some of the pitting was rather dramatic (a couple of craters about Ĺ the size of a five cent piece).
    Fortunately the Peugeot dealers here had a second hand set of liners and pistons with about 30K kmís on them for $550.00 ($1800.00 for new ones).
    The block is still in good condition and the whole job got too hard and now the motor is in the dealers getting new liners, rings, etc. Even though the head is now 0.8mm under the recommended thickness the Peugeot mechanics are quite happy that it is still servicable and are willing to guarantee the rebuilt motor.
    We expect to get the motor back in a couple of weeks so we can slot the damn thing back in and get the car on the road again.

Unfortunately the guy who owns it has had enough and is intends to sell the car, which to my mind is a real shame given the work/money put in and the fact he will now have a Peugeot warranted, re-conditioned motor, amongst the $2.5K of other things he replaced before the head gasket blew (water pump, radiator, computer chip, starter motor and whatever other bits there were).

Thanks again for all your help, advice and encouragement, this site is great.

Now Iím thinking about replacing the rear springs on my faithful old 504.
    505 springs I believe?

The head is repaired and the heli-coil is done.
    Why did the head need a heli-coil?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Why did the head need a heli-coil?
    The head got some corrosion repaired, the heli-coil is in the block. The head gasket blew where the thread was stripped, what started as a simple gasket replacement turned into a fairly major rebuild. Mainly due to the car sitting for so long before anything was done about it.

Thread Information