505power steer & air con exit
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

505power steer & air con exit

I am thinking about buying a 505 sedan, the one I am checking out has power steering & air conditioning. Being of a Spartan nature I consider these two atatchments to be completley surplus to my needs. How much of a drama would it be to give them the flick? What effect would ridding myself of such bougeoise appendages have on the vehicle. What I am aiming for is a modern 404 I might drive it into a brick wall a couple of times and get an elephant to sit on it. Then when I get it just right me and the mates will go for a cruise into town and check out the dark eyed lovelies

Advertisement

Sounds like you're going to do the saem thing as I did to my 505 (although I plan to replace the air con...one day ).

At first I kept the power rack, but without the pump. It was heavier to steer than the normal 504/505 manual rack, but not too bad. The thing that annoyed me was how vague it was on centre. Alot of 505 power steer racks end up vague due to driving many years with a rattle in them (the anti-rattle bush is a bastard of a job to replace).

I ended up fitting a late 504/early 505 manual steering rack. The only hard part of this conversion was removing the bloody power rack, because of the way the ram attaches to the cross member (I guess if the engine was out it would be dead easy).

Anyway it's ALOT nicer to drive now, particularly since I fitted the Mi16 steering wheel which sits further away from your body and greatly improves the driving position. I lso filed the stops on the seat pivots so I could get the seat back more vertical (like on a 404! ).

I also ripped out the STI motor and put in a nice simple carby 2 litre.

To cap it all off I ripped out the damn electric window motors and used parts from a 504 mechanism to convert the windows to manual winders. Basically I removed the shaft (which the handle goes on) from a 504. The pinion on the end of this shaft fits into the sector in the 505 mechanicsm (a 404 pinion will also work, so I've been told). I had to file off the rivets which hold the cover plate which attaches the shaft and pinion to the 504 mechanism. this cover plate also holds a spring-brake which stops the window winding itself down under its on weight. I then use a thick plate between two of the bolts in the door which usually hold the motor, to clamp one side of this cover plate which holds the shaft into position. I used a nut and washer on the third nolt to clamp down the other side of the cover plate. The thick bit of plate I used was an old plate which usually holds on the 504 front crossmember (the plates into which the crossmember bolts normally screw).

I left the central locking intact, since it doesn't impair the manual locking function at all (and it also locks the fuel cap!).

It's now a basic reliable 404/504 kind of car now. Just the way I like it .

Dave

<small>[ 01 August 2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks for the reply Dave. Nice to know that I'm not completly mad by myself. It's not that I'm against modern comforts it is just that they usually end up causing me more grief than there worth. I like an upright seating position, one of the nicest features of the pugs and electric windows makes me shudder just to think about them That central locking seems to cause trouble too. I know someone who drove back from Melbourne with the doors tied shut because the electric locks chucked a spaz. I'll start with the air con as long as the electric windows work I'll be keeping cool. The 504 goes better with the 404 pump pulley thanks cane toad

nJm
    My electric windows work flawlessly. My central locking on the other hand... every now and then one of the LHS doors will decide not to unlock with the rest (alternates between front and rear), and sometimes the front LHS door won't lock with the rest. Oh how annoying!

I wouldn't mind remote central locking though - great on a wet day when you have your arms full.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I'd hardly consider air-cond and power steering bougeoise type appendages - particularly on a 505. Petty bougeoise perhaps. SO... based on your marxist vechicle theory, after removing these options, your 505 would then be ...a proletariat vechicle?

Nick, I put a remote on the central locking of my 505 (definitely a bougeoise appendage) - its revolutionised my life.

cane toad:
    That central locking seems to cause trouble too. I know someone who drove back from Melbourne with the doors tied shut because the electric locks chucked a spaz.
    Unlike some newer cars, the 505 locks have manual internals with just a solenoid added on for the central locking function. Even when the central locking plays up or jams, you can manually over-ride it. It's the way all central locking systems should be.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

cane toad:
    I like an upright seating position, one of the nicest features of the pugs
    I agree.

In addition, I also like a high driving position, but unfortunately the 505 seat is too high even for me (and I'm only 5'7"). I removed the plastic spacers under the seats and with the upright backrest modification the seating position is still as high as any other Pug and about right for me.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    davemcbean
    In addition, I also like a high driving position, but unfortunately the 505 seat is too high even for me (and I'm only 5'7"). I removed the plastic spacers under the seats and with the upright backrest modification the seating position is still as high as any other Pug and about right for me.

Dave
    This is a good mod, I've driven Dave's 505 with the lowered seat, it makes the driving position feel much better. Would be the first thing I did if I bought a 505.

John.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information