307 Tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 307 Tyres

307 Tyres

On the 307 list the issue of good replacement tyres has come up, as some cars hit 30,000 kms. I know we have some experts here (hello Lincoln )

One XSI owner has almost worn the P-Zeros out (205/50 R17) and has been quoted $465 to replace each tyre eek! Crikey, how on earth can tyres cost that much!!! What are some good alternatives?

Advertisement

We also have a HDi driver looking at replacing his Dunlop FM901s (205/55 R16V) (ex 206 GTi driver ). His comments were interesting:

They are pigeon holed as a ultra high performance tyre.... But to me they
    make the car feel a bit vague and not as grippy as i have felt in the
    past... Perhaps it is just the car... Perhaps it is the tyre pressure I
    run.? I run 32psi as I find if i run any higher the car just becomes way
    too harsh and follows imperfections even more than it does now.
    Any tyre recommendations?

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I think i've said it before i've got a set of Falken ST115 and am quite impressed, just a bit too grippy though at low speeds but at 60+ espcially in the wet these tyres are great + very quiet; for the first time i can hear my engine eheh. they sell for $225 a tyre or thereabouts.

Quotes from the Falken Catlogue about the ST115 deal

>optimum harmony between "active" and "silent" (surely they can described better than that).
    >Silent and comfortable, with a "sport performance, less noise" compound.
    >Outstanding stability and durability at high speed.

P.S Justin by any chance were you driving on King St/Collins st last night at about 9.10, cause i saw a blue 307 and a guy who looked like you driving it?

Wasn't me, I was still at work.

Thanks for the reply.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Hi Justin!

I was going to check out the 307 list as my flat mate has already had a sidewall failure on his XSi Pirellis. Was curious if others had the same problem. As such, I'm quite unimpressed with them already. Maybe I'm being overly harsh in a tyre with such a low profile, but they are definately off the list of anything I would recommend. Plus I'm not blown away by them.

I'd consider the ContiSportContacts over them, the ones on the ST170 were very nice. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s are nice too.

As for the FM901s, I found those comments really interesting. I found that switching from the P6000s to the FM901s intially felt worse. The P6000s match the 306 quite nicely, in that the body roll tends to match the grip levels of the tyre. So when the tyre lets go it matches the roll of the car, and so you have good communication between grip and overall *feeling* of handling. In actual fact you have less grip, it just feels like you have more as you have good balance.

When I put the FM901s on you had more grip, so it made the body roll more pronounced, as the car's weight would shift and load up a tyre that can handle the additional loads. So you physically end up moving more in the car. To some this feels like less grip and a bit vague, as body roll and grip are seperated. The car would roll, the tyre would grip and then let go.

In any case, I wouldn't classify the FM901 as an ultra high performance, it's a high performance. The SP 9000s are supposed to be better, but they're just mediocre. Dunlop don't have something compete as an ultra-high with Michelin Pilot Sport, et al.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Thanks for that. Come and join us

<a href="http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-307/" target="_blank">The Peugeot 307 Mailing List</a>

I can't believe tyres cost so much!!! $465 a piece eek! The P-Zero post in question is <a href="http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-307/message/781" target="_blank">here</a>.

Have you tried the Conti SportContact 2?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Has anyone heard of Marangoni Herons (yes, they're tyres)?

There's a post on the 206 list that was quite impressed with them. I've never heard of that brand in my entire life!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

There you go, side wall blisters. Same thing as my flat mate's XSi. Don't get them again, I say. We're going to complan about them, see what happens. The car has barely done 7000kms, or so. That's just a joke. I'm pretty sure they were new as well, so they've only done 2000kms. These are not a good tyre for our crap roads.

No, haven't tried the ContiSportContact2s. I'd say they'd be better again. I was impressed with the feel and noise in the ST170, but it's a bit hard to give a good opinion on them as I don't know what ST170 is like on something else. So just my general feeling on them.

BTW, the comments on the PZeros being the best is bullocks. The Rossos are nothing special, IMO. You'd be better off with Neros, I reckon.

If you're after something good and cheap, check out Kumho Ecsta 712s or Sumitomo HTRZ IIs. Sumitomo is owned by Dunlop and have a very similar feel to the FM901s. I think they're a great tyre. My tyre guys is Don Cornell in Bexley 9502 4666.
    - Lincoln

Never heard of those tyres Justin.
    - Lincoln

XTC
    GTI124:
    Never heard of those tyres Justin.
    Italian and been around since the 50's - first I've seen of them ... <a href="http://www.marangoni.com/" target="_blank">http://www.marangoni.com/</a>

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole
    Pug307:
    Has anyone heard of Marangoni Herons (yes, they're tyres)?

There's a post on the 206 list that was quite impressed with them. I've never heard of that brand in my entire life!
    Never heard of them either :p

Hi all,

I have not heard anyone mention replacing tyres with existing Dunlop SP Sport 300's as came with the car when new. (HDI). Are people having problems with them? As I don't feel a need for high performance tyres and am happy with my standard rims they seem to do the job? Or am I missing something? Any comments?

Peter Johnston
    PJ

From all I've read the 300E is a good tyre. I would buy them instead of the ContiPremium Contacts which are also OEM on that car. I am yet to drive my mate's 307 which has them, I should do that so I can give you experience feedback
    - Lincoln

OK, so we got a flat today, so I got some prices on tyres. The Pirelli PZero Rossos appear to be a dealer only tyre, like the Michelin Pilot SX GTs on the Citroen Xsara VTS. That would explain it's hgh $465 price!

The Sumitomo HTRZ IIs which I like, as they have nice feel, just not as much grip as the FM901s, although grippier than A539 and Avon ZZ1. They are around the $200 mark in 205 40 R 17.

The FM901s are around the $250 mark.

So, basically, you can get two Sumitomos for the price that Peugeot are asking for the Pirellis. I know what I'd be doing...

<small>[ 05 August 2003, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

Tadpole
    Hi folks (first post here)

As mentioned in my post in another place. I'm looking to replace the P Zerro's on my 307 XSi. They've just done 28,500 ks and got sidewall blisters (mind you it was my fault, 100+ on a god awful road for an hour and a half). Also, not a real lot of tread left anyway - when a 307 can spin a front wheel in second gear in the dry you just know its time!

Thanks for your suggestions for replacement tyres.

Getting Bridgestone S03s tomorrow at a Bob Jane which is owned by a mate of mine. He was keen to sell me another set of P Zeros (Neros?) but I wasn't so keen. If anyone is interested I'll give a report back on the S03s and how these tyres go.

See you

Peter

<small>[ 05 August 2003, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Peter N ]</small>

Yeah, appears Pirelli Australia is only bringing in the Neros, as I hadn't heard of the Rossos until my flatmate got his XSi.

I'd recommend the S03s above the Rossos, especially since both you and I have got sidewall blisters. Ours has only done 2000kms or so and just hit some potholes. IMHO, it's never an owner's fault for side wall blisters, either some tyres can handle our crap roads, or not, simple as that. Pirelli shouldn't rewarded for a dodgy tyre. The S03s are in low profile as OEM on Holdens, so I figure they should handle our roads better. Please let us know how they go.
    - Lincoln

1000+ Posts
    GTI124:
    I hadn't heard of the Rossos until my flatmate got his XSi.
    Someone should tell Rosso of Merrick and Rosso on Nova969 he's had a tyre named after him. Should get some airplay wink

Derek

Tadpole
    Ok, I got the tyres fitted without any major drama.

First impressions (bearing in mind that they havenít scrubbed in yet) are that they are much quieter than the Pirelliís were. Also, they seem to have less rolling resistance, good stiff sidewalls also. Overall, first impression is very positive. Iíll give you guys an update in a couple of weeks when they have a few Kís on them etc.

Peter

and in Europe you can get 195 55 R15s in the S03s... cry

How much were they in the end? If you don't mind us asking...ballpark is fine, as it was mate's rates (mine were too).

BTW, a warm welcome to Aussie Frogs! I'm a tyre nerd...can you tell?

Derek, that was awful, really really bad. You've been disappointing of late, what, after your poor form on Saturday?! Fancy turning up alone? Brenno was shattered, I could tell...
    - Lincoln

Tadpole
    I think the RRP is about $265 to $280 each in 205/50-17.

PS thanks for the welcome.

<small>[ 05 August 2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Peter N ]</small>

Tadpole

Default '05 tyres 307

Hey all,
    Am contemplating purchase of 307 Touring.
    What are your opinions of the OEM 205/55-16 (XRS-XSE) & 195/65-15(HDI)?
    What sort of life can I expect?
    What are the best replacements available here in Australia?
    Look forward to your comments,
    Regards,
    Richard.

Thread Information