Squeaky clutch pedal on GTI 180
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Squeaky clutch pedal on GTI 180

Hey Fellas

Have any of you guys out there experienced a squeaky clutch pedal. By squeaky pedal I mean that pressing the clutch pedal lightly but quickly ie a displacement of about no more than 5mm causes a slight squeaky sound. I have barely done 5000 kays so I am slightly peeved off as the sound is slightly distracting.

Any one else have this problem?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Same thing happens on my Gti180 as well! Actually it's worst in that all the pedals squeaks! But it's bearable cos I've got the music on most of the time and I don't really notice it. When I get my service done I'm going to get the dealer to fit it up.

But you know squeaky pedals ain't as bad as the buzzing noise from the engine cover at 3000rpm you know!

my does aswell a bit of wd-40 and its all good
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the response fellas, it looks like I'll tell the guys down at the service centre to fix it at the 10,000 kay mark. I was begining to think that this was an isolated problem but it seems to be common. I wonder if this seems to be a GTI 180 specific thing? Do any other pug owners have this problem?
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfn180
    my does aswell a bit of wd-40 and its all good

try using a synthetic spray instead of WD 40 as WD 40 is a drying agent not a lubricating agent and the synthetic spray will last a lot longer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Hey Fellas

Have any of you guys out there experienced a squeaky clutch pedal. By squeaky pedal I mean that pressing the clutch pedal lightly but quickly ie a displacement of about no more than 5mm causes a slight squeaky sound. I have barely done 5000 kays so I am slightly peeved off as the sound is slightly distracting.

Thanks in advance
    So stop fiddling with the clutch pedal

Seriously, if it is annoying you so much that it's distracting your driving, then spray some WD40 on the hinge and be done with it. Why wait 5,000km for a Peugeot apprentice to do it? Give it a squirt and excercise the pedal a dozen times, then do it again if it needs it. Maybe use a rag to stop it spraying other spots too - and careful you don't lubricate the bit where your foot goes - it may get a bit slippery.

Oh, and mine does it too - at exactly the same spot. It's just the sound of the initial spring compression, I guess.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    try using a synthetic spray instead of WD 40 as WD 40 is a drying agent not a lubricating agent and the synthetic spray will last a lot longer
    Well, I would say it is more a "water dispersing" agent than a drying agent per se. It supposedly leaves it's own goopy stuff in place of any water. It's certainly an excellent de-squeaker, as it lasts much longer than lots of oils.

What sort of synthetic spray did you have in mind?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Well, I would say it is more a "water dispersing" agent than a drying agent per se. It supposedly leaves it's own goopy stuff in place of any water. It's certainly an excellent de-squeaker, as it lasts much longer than lots of oils.

What sort of synthetic spray did you have in mind?

it comes in a can and is synthetic grease

i have used it for years on anything that moves including power windows, sunroofs, door latches and the like and generally one spray will last a very very long time and works almost instantly

be warned though, don't spray it where you don't want it as it is very slippery

we even sprayed some in the wheels of the pram and it just rolls without effort

amazing stuff and highly recomended

BTW i have tried WD-40 in similar applications and it is no where as good in comparison
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I have a similar problem with my clutch pedal (may be the same, but I would have described it a little differently).

It sounds more like a metallic tinging sound rather than a squeak, as though there is a tiny gap between the actual pedal and what it is joined to. It may well be the spring as you all have described above.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Hey Fellas

Thanks in advance
    I had the same thing. It disappeared by itself. Doesn't make a sound now.

Quote Originally Posted by 666
    But you know squeaky pedals ain't as bad as the buzzing noise from the engine cover at 3000rpm you know!
    My car used to do this as well. Between 2800 & 3000rpm. A very loud, metallic buzzing. Could be heard over the engine at 100km/h. Which was a pain when 3000rpm is almost exactly 100 in 5th. Try driving 700kms with that noise!

I don't know if any of the other guys on the forum remember, but on one of our drives I got them to have a look. It wasn't the engine cover. What it turned out to be was the heat shields on the exhaust. Something wasn't done up tight enough & it rattled at those revs, and only at those revs. I've heard of a couple of other 180s being affected too. Take it into the dealer & get them to fix it. Make sure they do it right, because mine had to go in 3 times (like every other thing i've taken the car back to this dealer for... I'm not kidding my car has been back at least a dozen times in a little over a year. Mainly because they don't fix the thing properly). I think mine might be developing the sound again. Will probably be a continual thing through its life.

The problem with getting the heat shields tightened though, is that when the sound is gone you can hear all the other little rattles. The shrouding on my steering column is driving me nuts. And it's been fixed twice. Only ever lasts a day!

I agree with doing the squeak fix yourself; as pugrambo said don't use WD-40 as it eventually dries out (gricoscophic??spell??) means it evetually evaporates.
    The best spray is a "Dry-Lube" spray, or Silicone spray. They are both excelent lubircants and protectant. WD-40 should only be used in the initial stage, then lubrication needs to follow. Do not use regular oil as it turns to a horrible black mush and eventually holds more dirt. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    I had the same thing. It disappeared by itself. Doesn't make a sound now.

My car used to do this as well. Between 2800 & 3000rpm. A very loud, metallic buzzing. Could be heard over the engine at 100km/h. Which was a pain when 3000rpm is almost exactly 100 in 5th. Try driving 700kms with that noise!

I don't know if any of the other guys on the forum remember, but on one of our drives I got them to have a look. It wasn't the engine cover. What it turned out to be was the heat shields on the exhaust. Something wasn't done up tight enough & it rattled at those revs, and only at those revs. I've heard of a couple of other 180s being affected too. Take it into the dealer & get them to fix it. Make sure they do it right, because mine had to go in 3 times (like every other thing i've taken the car back to this dealer for... I'm not kidding my car has been back at least a dozen times in a little over a year. Mainly because they don't fix the thing properly). I think mine might be developing the sound again. Will probably be a continual thing through its life.

The problem with getting the heat shields tightened though, is that when the sound is gone you can hear all the other little rattles. The shrouding on my steering column is driving me nuts. And it's been fixed twice. Only ever lasts a day!
    My steering column has a very loud rattle... I have learnt to ignore it and now I am happy again
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

I wonder if this seems to be a GTI 180 specific thing? Do any other pug owners have this problem?
    Yes I can say my 206 XR used to have this same problem, it was quite loud too. It was ony the clutch pedal though, pushing it in and letting it out made a squeky noise, to the extent where passangers in the back would wonder what the noise was.

It went away after a while, not sure how it came about, or how it disappeared. It's fine now.

Just another woe of owning a Pug
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

About the squeaky pedals, the dealer told me that the squeak was coming from further up in the bushes, not the hinges?? (Don't know, but I would have thought the bushes were in the hinges, but I really have no idea?) I tried WD40 and it fixes it but it doesn't last very long. The dealer said to use some "stuff" (they couldn't remember the name of it) that is a bit thicker and try and get it right up into the bushes. They were out of the "stuff" at the time but they said they'd do it at next service.

That's just what the dealer told me...

When I am driving the car on my own, I don't have a problem with it as the music is usually up. It's when you have a passenger that it becomes a little annoying as they think that I am a dill for buying a new car that has squeaky pedals AND squealy brakes!! Little do they know how little I care about that when I go for a "fun" drive.
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    Yes I can say my 206 XR used to have this same problem, it was quite loud too. It was ony the clutch pedal though, pushing it in and letting it out made a squeky noise, to the extent where passangers in the back would wonder what the noise was.

It went away after a while, not sure how it came about, or how it disappeared. It's fine now.

Just another woe of owning a Pug
    Not true, it is a woe of owning basically any car. Clio's are notorious for rattles. As are Alfa Romeos. Both of the Corolla's I have driven rattled like banshees... My mother's Ka is a rattling beast, my sister's Getz.... and on and on..

Don't limit this phenomenon to Pugs please. Share the rattling/squeaking love..
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    Not true, it is a woe of owning basically any car. Clio's are notorious for rattles. As are Alfa Romeos. Both of the Corolla's I have driven rattled like banshees... My mother's Ka is a rattling beast, my sister's Getz.... and on and on..

Don't limit this phenomenon to Pugs please. Share the rattling/squeaking love..
    I bet the Golf V doesn't have any squeaks - or the Avalon for that matter

I wonder if a dab of Total oil would fix it?

Seriously though, do you ever wonder why all the "experts" can never remember a brand that you can use, but always tell you what you should never use?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    I bet the Golf V doesn't have any squeaks - or the Avalon for that matter

I wonder if a dab of Total oil would fix it?

Seriously though, do you ever wonder why all the "experts" can never remember a brand that you can use, but always tell you what you should never use?
    I bet you the Golf will get squeaks... All cars will squeak, might squeak out of the showroom.. might squeak in a year... Any car that drives on our moonscape roads will dislodge plastic parts through jarring and will end up rattling...

But then again.. the Golf GTI IS the BEST car ever made.. so maybe not...
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    I bet you the Golf will get squeaks... All cars will squeak, might squeak out of the showroom.. might squeak in a year... Any car that drives on our moonscape roads will dislodge plastic parts through jarring and will end up rattling..
    Our porsche doesn't squeak, then again, you can't even hear emergency vehicles sirens over the engine noise, so any squaks seem to get drowned out

But yeah, there is a difference between minor squeks (my 206's rear shocks squeak like buggery) and squeaks that just should not happen. Some things in a car can sort of "ad character" even though I think that term is an excuse for poor build quality, but I think there is a point where it is really not acceptable.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

They squeak a lot overseas too with the amount of cobblestone roads through towns, large or small.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Thread Information