That down in the mouth look... 504 wagon on its knees
  • Register
  • Help

That down in the mouth look... 504 wagon on its knees

Last weekend I did a pile of miles in National Parks, and during that on one very corrugated road, the left front suspension stopped working.

The spring was compressed, and it stayed that way. That corner had the joy of living with the tyre's suppleness for suspension.

I've got it off now, the spring is still compressed, but the strut shaft is able to extend fine! The spring cap at the top is detached from the rest of the top mount, but what's the reason for the spring remaining compressed?

Advertisement

My guess? The bump stop tube thingy is caught on the retaining cap for the insert...

Sounds to me like any effort to get this apart will be more than just a little dangerous!

Turns out the metal attached to the bottom of the bump stop, which was absolutely destroyed, got caught up somehow and was jammed between the piece I described as 'the bump stop thingy' and pulled it over so it was caught on the retaining cap at the top of the strut body.

Released it, but I'll have to do something serious about the front end on this car. 800,000kms down, 350,000 in my ownership, it's due for a bit of work.

I agree Ray, might be a time to switch those factory shocks/springs , the use by date is pending. wink

but seriously, 800,000kms , wow, impressive. Maybe Peugeot Australia can use your pug for promotional purposes !
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Hardly... the paint just hasn't lasted.

Not only that, there isn't a mechanical part that was in it when it was built (apart from the bare block). The diff was renewed shortly before we got it (at about 500,000kms) and I changed the gearbox (there was nothing wrong with the one that came out except fifth gear was hard to find) and fitted the Kugelfischer stuff. It's on its third set of pistons and sleeves and I had to change the crank.

But its certainly done a good job for its three owners. I won't be changing the springs, by the way, and I am very disappointed that the original strut internals were replaced with inserts. I'd be very happy to keep on renovating the originals if I had the bits.

It doesn't get an easy time under me, by the way. I do many miles on freeways and highways, but I get it wound up properly on a stack of backroads and never baulk at dirt tracks or creek crossings.

Ray Bell:
    I changed the gearbox (there was nothing wrong with the one that came out except fifth gear was hard to find)
    I find I have exactly the same problem with those BA7 4 speeds!

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information