504 into 404... the traps?
  • Register
  • Help

504 into 404... the traps?

Naturally enough, my plan is to instal a TI engine in the 404.

Advertisement

The other week, after finding a leak in the 404 radiator, I fitted a 504 radiator and found this was not easy, in fact it's hardly satisfactory the way I've got it sitting in there. But it's working, and it doesn't do many miles.

So what other traps am I likely to find? I think this is the most likely one to cause grief, and no doubt I'm looking at having to do something innovative like using the 404 water pump and fitting an electric fan.

Will the injection pump foul the battery, for instance? No doubt there's someone out there (Graham Wallis, for example?) who's done this conversion.

Any factory 404 injections about?

peugeot_

cheers!

VIP Sponsor
    Ray,
    The biggest problem I had was in fitting a suitable fuel tank and getting the fuel to feed properly.
    I never got it to perform very well, (have tried both KF2 and KF5 engines) and have no enthusiasm for Kugelfischer injection. I find the XN1 engines to be far more satisfactory. I think the injection pumps are simply worn out these days.
    Now I'll wait for Mike Tippet's reply!

Graham Wallis

Hmmm... maybe take the return line in through the hose in the boot? Using the thing that's in the hose from the 504 wagon... maybe that won't be too hard.

Fellow Frogger!
    wait no longer!

Worn out, eh? Even if that was true, there was a new 504 injection pump on Ebay a few months back; it sold for about 300 Euros. Rebuilds cost about 1250 Euros.

In any case, the pumps generally go 300,000+ km before requiring any attention at all, unless they were run dry of lubricant, the water separator filters were never purged or the camcase lube was never changed.

The reason these cars have an evil reputation among the masses is that very few understand how to tune them, properly. To do it 100% properly requires a factory tool kit and manual (which I have) but they can be made to run virtually perfectly even without the kit, if you have the manual and know what you're doing.

The incredible smoothness of a 404 Injection engine is to die for, far better than putting two vulgar DCOEs on it and having the distributor sticking through the bonnet

Ray, Peter Brownescombe of Canberra is having a 504 TI engine installed in his 404 as I write this, perhaps you should give him a call...

About fuel tanks, no worries. When I converted my former 1963 sedan to Injection from a 68 Cabriolet, I used the old (carby) fuel tank. I plumbed a return line right up to the (rubber) fuel filler neck and fabricated (out of a motorcycle tire valve) a spigot to have the returning fuel sprayed deep down into the filler orifice. It did not interfere with re-fueling and ran perfectly. Good idea, Ray, but I hold the patent wink
    -Mike
    1966 404 Coupé KF2
    1989 405 DL
    2005 smart fortwo cdi cabrio

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    never had a problem fitting them in a 404
    punch a hole on the filler hose for the return line
    nothing fowls in the engine bay and we always ran 404 radiators in them
    the cars did a bit of freeway running and a motorkhana here and there
    oh yeah our TI ute and wagon 404's towed everything needed to build a house and to move house
    the air cleaner from the TI won't fit in the 404 though
    we just ran a foam air cleaner on the end of the throttle body
    i admit a better system could have been made up but it suited for the time bieng
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Come on Ray, why stop at a 2L?

At the Rerun there was a green 404 sedan with an auto and a V6 PRV. Apparently it is effortless in acceleration. The experts above may know the car. No doubt you have a V6 lying around??

ipb

No, only ever had one, Norm's got that now.

I didn't like the fact that that car was an automatic, but to each his own, I guess. Where did they put the battery, by the way?

rambo... I don't have a decent 404 rad... what's the answer with radiator fitment?

Ray I think that you will find that Richard Adams has many a 404 radiator right here in Canberra, well Bungendore anyway. I sent you his phone # in a PM some time ago. I think he would also have a disc brake rear end or two sitting about.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    get a 404 one overhauled or use the tanks and get a new core for it
    get one or two extra cores in one if the will fit in the tanks and you shouldn't have any worries
    we ran stock 404 radiators with TI engines without any over heating troubles even when we used to motorkhana the 404 sedan with TI engine
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

cruiserman:
    Ray I think that you will find that Richard Adams has many a 404 radiator right here in Canberra, well Bungendore anyway. I sent you his phone # in a PM some time ago. I think he would also have a disc brake rear end or two sitting about.
    Should have thought of that, cruiserman... I'm seeing Richard this weekend anyway (I think) about some other remotely useful component.

Disc brake rear end for a 404? Tell me more...

oops feeling a little dyslexic front = rear = front. Hmm lots of wine and a keyboard is not good for clear typing.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information