404 diff oil
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 diff oil

Fellow Frogger!

404 diff oil

I was talking to a bloke the other day that has had old peugeots for a while he told me he had trouble getting the good oil, whatever it is, so used castor oil instead, reckons it works fine. What's the reccomendation for diff's I've been using Penrite mild E P gear oil regards cane toad

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Just make sure that the oil you use in the 404 diffs does not contain sulphur..

Sulphur is sometimes used as an "EP" agent,
    it reacts badly with the Bronze crown gear.

If you want the best stuff, get a product
    made by lubrication Engineers in Sydney
    ph 1800676699
    The product code is LE607, but it's $40 Per litre
    (But its the best )
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

I have used Amsoil full synthetic gearoil in my 404 rally car for years without any problems.

Alan

Fellow Frogger!
    The factory recommendation was Esso Gear Oil VT, a pink vegetable-based oil (castor bean based in fact). Castrol R40 was also a recommended lubricant. I use these two interchangably. R40 whould be a lot easier to get, through Castrol Heritage or whatever it's called...

Shell Gear Oil HS is also recommended.

If any doubt exists as to the type of oil used in the past in your car, rince out the axle housing thoroughly with a mixture of alcohol and mineral oil solvent. If you mix mineral and castor-based oils, you get a beautiful mayonnaise in the axle housing...and air bubbles do not lubricate the bronze gear very well wink

I'd stick with castor-based oils myself, but there may be suitable synthetics (trial and error?). By all means avoid sulphur.
    -Mike
    1966 404 Coupé KF2
    1989 405 DL
    2005 smart fortwo cdi cabrio

VIP Sponsor
    CastEr is the correct term.
    I have used caster based oil (Castrol R40) for years with excellent results.

Graham Wallis

Fellow Frogger!
    I know what alchol is but, mineral solvent? Would it be something like kerosine. regards cane toad

Turps, methylated spirits too, perhaps.

I remember seeing Norm Saville 'rinsing' a diff for an oil change. The wheels jacked up, the car in gear and engine running to make sure it swirled around the stuff everywhere for a nice cleaning out.

Fellow Frogger!
    Graham, I think you're mistaken, castOr it is according to my info. My info includes the bottle of R40 I just looked at "made of castor oil"...

I still like the French term better, huile de ricin, it sounds so beautiful. I can't believe I spelled rinse wrong in the morning post though - too early in the morning when I wrote that I suppose.

Yep, turpentine or kerosene would work and Ray's got it as usual - a thorough rear axle spinning is called for to get all the crud out, with these solvents in the casing.
    -Mike
    1966 404 Coupé KF2
    1989 405 DL
    2005 smart fortwo cdi cabrio

VIP Sponsor
    Mike,
    I did a search on the net, CASTER came up with things to do with lubricating oil whereas CASTOR only came up with the stuff you drink.
    Unlikely, however, that Castrol got the label wrong!

Graham Wallis

Thread Information