Budget for Mi16 engine rebuild and value of high miles engine
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PeterT
  • 1 Post By PeterT

Thread: Budget for Mi16 engine rebuild and value of high miles engine

Tadpole

Default Budget for Mi16 engine rebuild and value of high miles engine

Greetings, I have found a donor Mi16 engine that likely needs an overhaul. If the engine was running fine with no overheating issues just high miles what can one expect to need to budget to overhaul one? I know this can vary hugely depending on lots of variables but I am unfamiliar with how wide that range could be and therefor what value is in an Mi16 engine in that state. I would expect they would be thin on the ground? I am interested in it for a 205 gti project.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Advertisement

Depending on the series. 1.9 Alloy block or the 2.0 iron block. For a 205 road car go the 1.9 as its lighter and does not ruin the handling as much as the iron block does. They are also a bit more old school in the way they make power which is cool IMO. They all need a rebuild now regardless. The Alloy block can suffer from corrosion in the seating area of the liners and can be fixed but at a cost. The iron blocks are more available and are potentially cheaper to rebuild. Im not an expert so Ill wait until they arrive to comment on cost. If its the 1.9 you will want to either deck the block and liners to up the compression or find some EU spec pistons to do the same thing.

I would say you wont see much change from 4k to do the 1.9 properly.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

1000+ Posts

Keep your old liners, I will swap some pistons for them? No rods sorry just the piston if yours are worn badly. I am going 83.5mm.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

1000+ Posts

Head should be less than 500, new liners and bearings with a tensioner / belt kit. Less than 3K if clearances on bearings / etc are OK
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Isn't the S1 Mi16 block the same as 205GTI? That would give more options for sourcing a good block.

500$ a head job is cheap especially for 16V, depending on what that includes. Mine (205GTI stock engine-8V) cost a whisker under a grand. That included everything however (new valves, seats, shims, etc) apart from the usual skim, etc.

Given the engine is old, I would think it needs a new camshaft or a new regrind and a full head job, just like mine.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Mi16 and 8V blocks are very different. Here's a part list from a job I did approx. 10 years ago, which needed new pistons. You won't know what condition it's in until you pull it apart.

Missing from the list is a belt & tensioner kit and water pump. So add $300.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget for Mi16 engine rebuild and value of high miles engine-screen-shot-2020-02-10-8.47.49-pm.png  
    GRAHAM WALLIS and ianrobbo like this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

I have a 1.9 block or two available if needed.

I've got lots of parts, probably 3-4 engines, as you don't know what you're in for until they're apart. The common failure points are corrosion around liner seal areas (especially #1) and liner wear (thrust side). The crank, pistons and rods stand up well. New liners and rings is a good option, if you can find them.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Thanks everyone for the info. I note Peter T you said "If you can find them" Are new parts difficult to source? That would surprise me. So is an unknown but complete engine worth a few hundred bucks? How difficult to source one is it these days and what value would a good runner be?

Fellow Frogger!

I have a srs2 2l XU19J4 complete except ancillaries done aroubd 350k was running ok in car but needs complete rebuild.
    I would like to get $500 for it deliverd to Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Onslo View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. I note Peter T you said "If you can find them" Are new parts difficult to source? That would surprise me. So is an unknown but complete engine worth a few hundred bucks? How difficult to source one is it these days and what value would a good runner be?
    Search for Westfield liners. Rings are easy enough as they also fit other makes eg Fiat.
    kelpiebat likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information