306 xsi cv joint
  • Help

Default 306 xsi cv joint

I'm located in New Zealand and after a CV joint for my peugeot 306 xsi (1998) and have been given this for my quote from peugeot here in Dunedin :
    ""CV Joint for your Peugeot 306. Peugeot only supply these as the Complete Axle Assembly @ $1175 + GST each.""
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any about for cheaper in good condition perhaps not as the whole assembly -.- otherwise I'll look into recon however that'll put my car out for longer It's not urgent as it ain't blowing apart any time soon however do want to get it sorted in good time.

Advertisement

My goodness. Those CV joints are a dime a dozen. They were also fitted to S2 405's. ie with ABS ring. Go hunting for a good 2nd hand unit. They last forever if looked after and are far superior to aftermarket versions.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Yeah thinking after looking around a wee bit and at prices I'll go for a recondition, although good to keep all bases open till I come to actually doing it. Had my mechanic doing it and he was confident he had the right parts ordered over phone (I was very much not confident) all due to that damn ABS ring (next time he might go off suggestion to make sure he is 100% going for the right model first, damn puggets)
    Glad he got to do the swearing part instead of me this time He did say reconditioning is just as good if not better here as the firm that does them in Christchurch he uses has never had any go wrong and similar to you that they should last forever so long as they're reasonably looked after. It doesn't sound like a honda bring driven into the ground yet so I think i have a bit of time to sort it out haha.

1000+ Posts

Some one is dreaming ..or got their heads in the sky.Surely you should be able to locate one for around one tenth of that price.
    I have had a few done for different cars over the last 40 years..only problem was with were the two that were rebuilt for my sons Mi 16...wrong boots highly likely there would be a driveshaft guy not too far away..

Also unrelated but my screen which displays the time and temp under my air con and dials appears to have gone dark (I believe it's still going just lacking the lighting) what would be the common faults here before I go blindly taking things out and prodding them with a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Some one is dreaming ..or got their heads in the sky.Surely you should be able to locate one for around one tenth of that price.
    I have had a few done for different cars over the last 40 years..only problem was with were the two that were rebuilt for my sons Mi 16...wrong boots highly likely there would be a driveshaft guy not too far away..
    I believe the prices is due to it being the whole assembly from new imported from France. I figured myself there would be something around the $150-$300 mark however unless someone knows whoever is hoarding them they appear to be a pain in the ass to find here. I could probably reasonably easily find some from a wreckers however it'd be out of town and pretty hard to get info whether they're actually any good or not due to the nature of some of these guys.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Temp and clock light

Easy enough to remove the unit, pull the back off and there's a couple of tiny bulbs in holders. I replaced mine on an xsi for about 90c ... Any old auto parts store should keep the bulbs. I think 2 torx screws hold the unit in place

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Easy enough to remove the unit, pull the back off and there's a couple of tiny bulbs in holders. I replaced mine on an xsi for about 90c ... Any old auto parts store should keep the bulbs. I think 2 torx screws hold the unit in place
    Much appreciated, atleast gives me an idea what's behind there now before I give it the ol Kiwi try.

Thread Information