An easy PRV question...
  • Register
  • Help

An easy PRV question...

Hi again. Furthering my V6 505 wagon quest, yesterday I was looking some removed XN1A engines and 4-sp automatic gearboxes, and noted the following major difference....

Advertisement

XN1A engines I saw had no flywheel at all, but a really thin flex-plate, and have the starter ring gear on the torque converter. (is this also true for the old 3-sp auto 504/505's ? )

The version of gearbox for the OHC motor has no ring gear on the converter, so the engine must have a part-'flywheel' ?

So....what does the 604 have ?!! Ring gear on the torque converter with a flex-plate on the engine only, or the same as the OHC motors ? (please say the former !!....)

Also, has anyone ever purchased a new driveshaft for a 505 wagon (the inner bit of the torque/link tube from the box to the diff) - is it mega$$ if available at all? I'm thinking in advance for the extra Nm/lbft...mine has a wee clunk already....

Thanks,
    Jason

Also, I took some rough measurements/drawings of the flexplate dimensions, and I'll be off to look at the business end of the PRV in the next week with ruler in hand !!

Fellow Frogger!
    Jason,

Yeah all the 504/505 XN1, XN2, etc, auto models have the flex plate with the ring gear on the torque converter, as far as I know. From memory, the 604 I pulled apart last year was the same.

Pugrambo should be able to confirm this.

Dave

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Yeah all the 504/505 XN1, XN2, etc, auto models have the flex plate with the ring gear on the torque converter, as far as I know. From memory, the 604 I pulled apart last year was the same.

Pugrambo should be able to confirm this.

Dave
    as far as i can remember this is right
    if you give me a week or so i can confirm this when i pull the engine out of the spare car
    time to start tinkering hehehehe
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

But is it a different diameter?

As for the tail shaft, if it's the female spline that's clunking, you might fix that by finding a good one on a sedan tail shaft and doing a cut and shut... well, getting a good workshop to do a cut and shut. It might also be the spline on you pinion...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i have never compared the diameters of them
    i do know that with a manual 604 i used to use a 505 clutch with the bigger drive spline as the box i used had the larger input shaft
    this means that the clutch dia's are the same so i could hazard a guess at the other bieng the same as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information