2009 308 2.0 HDi auto - not auto changing into 6th gear sometimes
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon4 2009 308 2.0 HDi auto - not auto changing into 6th gear sometimes

Has anyone else had this issue?

Advertisement

If I change to manual I can put it into 6 but when accerating in auto won't make it change (so far)

Ours has done 173K

PS: Our last car inspection said that the Front Suspension Sway Bar link has play developing likewise the Front suspension Mount has play developing, does this make sense and both may require attention soon. Does this make sense?

Is it a big job or simply tighening something?
    Last edited by xlink_nz; 2nd December 2019 at 12:33 PM.

1000+ Posts

Do you mean at any speed it won't go into 6th? Or up to about 100km/h it holds 5th indefinitely, then when you go a little faster it'll change up (say, at 105+)?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

The gearbox tries to maintain torque efficiency, about 2000 rpm. This may mean no change to 6th until the vehicle speed rises.

I'm not sure which mounts are in question. Suspension lower mount rubbers eventually need replacing. If you haven't done it before, then it has its moments. It can be easier to change the whole arm. Replacing top mounts needs the drive shaft disconnected and the spring compressed. The actual joint has a ball bearing mounted above the strut. If you don't have the tools and aren't confident let a mechanic do it.

Drop links tend to go much earlier (and often) and are an easy fix. The ball joints wear and you will hear a distinct rattle.. They aren't expensive from EAI and the like.

Remove the wheel and note the link attached to the anti-sway bar. There is a ball joint on each end. It will be under tension with the wheel hanging, so raise the hub with a jack or other suitable device until the load on the link has gone. There is a nut on each link joint. If you look carefully the stud has a hollow centre, either hex or torx, for a tool to stop it turning, which is inserted inside your ring spanner. Remove and replace.
    Last edited by seasink; 2nd December 2019 at 02:33 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Do you mean at any speed it won't go into 6th? Or up to about 100km/h it holds 5th indefinitely, then when you go a little faster it'll change up (say, at 105+)?
    Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The gearbox tries to maintain torque efficiency, about 2000 rpm. This may mean no change to 6th until the vehicle speed rises.
    TQ for the replies (including the comprehensive reply from seasink on the other possible issues)

Yes when for example the car is at 100kph it won't change into 6th even when I increase to 100kph and say 2500+rpm

I'll do some more road tests and push it past 110kph/2500rpm and see if it changes, any ideas?

is it a full auto - or the automated manual EGS ( aka MCE ?) because i think those 'learn' how you want to be driving ... maybe keep it in manual for a while, running through ratios, changing closer to 1750, and it might just get the idea.
    (ours doesn't like to be in 6th below that /85 kph)
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 2nd December 2019 at 03:39 PM.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Thread Information