205 electrical gremlins
  • Register
  • Help

205 electrical gremlins

i've had this problem for a while now, but i haven't been able to work it out.
    i know there is alot of knowledge on this forum - have any of my fellow series 3 205GTi owners had a similar experience? the problem is:
    with the engine running, when i turn low beam on or if i alternate between high and low beam, the engine will cut out momentarily like the injectors are being interrupted. if the revs are low enough (like at idle) the engine will stall. this does not happen every time i go from low to high beam (or vice versa)but happens fairly consistently. because the injectors have faltered, the engine diagnostic light comes on, but disappears after awhile or when the car is turned off.
    mallet the battery is fine and all the earths seem to be ok, as does the connection between the battery and the starter motor/alternator. it's like there is too much current being drawn somewhere in the system which causes the engine to falter. any suggestions????? cry
    thanks,
    michael

Advertisement
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:
    R19RT; 1979 504GL Berline with Factory Air; S3 205GTi; 206GTi; 505STi; R4

has no one experienced anything similar to this before? petert, warwick2, luca, WRX2PUG...any suggestions???? cry
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

I know this car...........
    It only happened to me once, turning the lights on. So I thus forgot about it. I suspect there is either a bad earth or a bad postive connection, which takes power away momentarily from either the ignition or the ECU. Do you know anyone with a CRO? Hook the CRO up to the positive supply of the ECU, then turn the lights on. If you see a large dip in the voltage you're on the right track. Same with the positive supply to the ignition ignitor. I did repair a bad earth to the fan speed controller. I had to pick up a new one from the fan speed contoller module, which is located in the right hand side of the passenger's footwell. Let me know if you need any diagrams and/or pin outs.

Nice car!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

thanks peter. what's the deal with the exhaust though. i hope it wasn't you who hacked up the rear valance to fit the universal muffler and colour coded the red stripes! disappro
    on that note, do you have a rear valance and a rear eye level brake light you'd like to sell me?
    cheers
    michael
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

All the best with your car Mikey... hope u can sort it out pronto.

Hey the rear valance is like looking 4 hen's teeth maaaate so if u find one with a crack in it get it coz i know a guy who can make it look like new again...

No, I wasn't responsible for that damage. The previous owner did it, and also the damage behind the fog lights as well. It had ugly aftermarket lights in it when I bought it. I'm just responsible for making the quickshift and changing the clutch (flywheel was machined). I gave it a thorough overall, fitting new plugs, air cleaner, etc. It also has demineralised water and Castrol coolant concentrate.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I saw a brake light on ebay.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information