205 TI '87 Clutch All Finished But....
  • Register
  • Help

205 TI '87 Clutch All Finished But....

HI all,

WE finished tonight around 2am... I took the car for a quick spin and all seems well.

I left the car there idling to warm the engine up before taking it for a spin.

When I next got in, I depressed the clutch and got a 'tick tick tick' sound. I release the clutch and all is well.

Advertisement

Whether in gear or not, the noise is there. Regardless of how far I depress the clutch.

Thoughts? - I seriously don't want to pull the box again.. frown

<small>[ 11 September 2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Justin B ]</small>
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

Fellow Frogger!
    if the noise wasnt there before then assume its something you have done.the thrust bearing can get dislodged off the fork when the gearbox is fitted up and it will sit on the pressure plate at a funny angle.try backing the cable way off so you might be able to get the fork to clear the pressure plate and see if the noise goes away.i assume all the things like correct bolts in pressure plate and nothing fell into the bell housing after it was fitted etc.good luck.

Justin B:
    HI all,

WE finished tonight around 2am... I took the car for a quick spin and all seems well.

I left the car there idling to warm the engine up before taking it for a spin.

When I next got in, I depressed the clutch and got a 'tick tick tick' sound. I release the clutch and all is well.

Whether in gear or not, the noise is there. Regardless of how far I depress the clutch.

Thoughts? - I seriously don't want to pull the box again..
    Either the thrust bearing is damaged, the clutch is badly adjusted, or the alignments are wrong somehow (bent or sticky fork or clutch friction plate damaged or sticking on the splines) I'd say, Justin.

At least its almost certainly not the input shaft bearing. This would be most likely to occur with the car in neutral and the clutch engaged, or the car in gear with the clutch out while moving.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your response.

Just a little history. I've just replaced the clutch and thrust bearing (as in this was it's first night finished)

The first drive for 5 min was fine.... I then let it sit there idling for a few minutes as I packed up the tools... The car stalled or something.

I restarted it and the noised started.

Thoughts ?
    Thanks
    Justin

charles:
    if the noise wasnt there before then assume its something you have done.the thrust bearing can get dislodged off the fork when the gearbox is fitted up and it will sit on the pressure plate at a funny angle.try backing the cable way off so you might be able to get the fork to clear the pressure plate and see if the noise goes away.i assume all the things like correct bolts in pressure plate and nothing fell into the bell housing after it was fitted etc.good luck.

Justin B:
    Hi Charles,

The first drive for 5 min was fine.... I then let it sit there idling for a few minutes as I packed up the tools... The car stalled or something.

Thoughts ?
    Thanks
    Justin

]
    How carefully were the clutch pressure plate attachment bolts torqued?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod Hagen:
    Justin B:
    Hi Charles,

Thoughts ?
    Thanks
    Justin

]
    How carefully were the clutch pressure plate attachment bolts torqued?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod,

Properly I'm sure... I didn't do that part.. my partner in crime did..... what are your thoughts?? too loose or to tight?

Justin

Justin B:

Properly I'm sure... I didn't do that part.. my partner in crime did..... what are your thoughts?? too loose or to tight?

Justin
    Too unevenly was my main worry, Justin. I was thinking about a situation where uneven pressure might have resulted in friction plate fracture when the system was put under the stress of driving, which then manifests itself in a "ticking" sound when the clutch is disengaged and its got room to move. It might also result in alignemnet problems.

Too tight all over could do it too I guess, but it would probably need to be very much too tight.

This is probably an overly pessimistic thought on my behalf though. an issue with the throw out bearing seems the most likely.

Cheers and good luck.

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Rod Hagen:
    Justin B:

Justin
    Too unevenly was my main worry, Justin. I was thinking about a situation where uneven pressure might have resulted in friction plate fracture when the system was put under the stress of driving, which then manifests itself in a "ticking" sound when the clutch is disengaged and its got room to move. It might also result in alignemnet problems.

Too tight all over could do it too I guess, but it would probably need to be very much too tight.

This is probably an overly pessimistic thought on my behalf though. an issue with the throw out bearing seems the most likely.

Cheers and good luck.

Rod
    Hi Rod,

The throw out bearing / or thrust bearing is brand new... I guess it could of failed???

Could have been defective when purchased, could have got some junk in it. could be misaligned, could just be running "dry" etc etc, Justin.

Coming back to the pressure plate torques, Im not sure what the recommendations are for the 205, but usually these things on pugs are in the 11lbft to 18 lbft range, with minimal variation allowed between each bolt. Any idea what settings were used on the torque wrench?

I fear that your choices are going to be either living with the sound (and hey! it might even go away of its own accord!) or pulling things apart again.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Hi all.

Just an update on this weird noise... The ticking noise (which sounds like metal clipping metal) only occurs when:

(a) the engine is warmed up and I'm using the clutch
    (b) when cornering right (clutch is engaged i.e pedal not being touched) there is no noise, when I go left there is a noise...

If anyone has any ideas, or would be willing to ahve a look at it for me.. I'd be most appreciative...

Justin

Thread Information