Retrofitting power steering to 205 GTI?
  • Register
  • Help

Retrofitting power steering to 205 GTI?

Froggers,

Would appreciate your thoughts on the feasibility of retrofitting power steering to my non-power steering 1989 205 GTI? My wife occasionally drives the little beast, and while she loves the styling and handling, at she finds the steering excessively heavy.

After considering the cost of a set of weights and a gym membership for her, it seemed worthwhile considering a mechanical solution as well.

I imagine it could be possible to fit power steering, given the subsequent factory fitting to the Series 3, but suspect the work involved and/or cost could be high – finding the bits may also be an issue– am I better off trading my beloved beast for a younger sibling if Megan needs to drive the car the car more regularly?

Advertisement

[Despite her concerns, she made me a 205 GTI birthday cake last weekend, with a commendable level of detail (although mint slice biscuits didn’t really substitute for the 15” alloys – tasted better tho’)].
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

Hey there

I'm not so sure about how difficult the job would be but there is a conversion kit avaliable for sale at Pugsport in Adelaide. Here is the description...

Pug 205 gti, Power steering conversion kit, including steering rack, pump,reservoir, and all hoses. Only $800 o.n.o

<a href="http://www.pugsport.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.pugsport.com.au/</a>

I dont know if its still there but its worth a shot.

Regards

Ky

Thanks for that - I'll have a look.
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

I've heard it is not easy.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information