Good tires for front of 504
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Good tires for front of 504

The time has come to replace my xzx Michelins on the front of the car.

Just wondering what others use on their pugs?

Looking for a cheap yet relaible brand, as i have heard that michelin are not as good as they used to be.

Thanks

Advertisement

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

James,

Do you know the meaning of "Opening Pandora's box???" 'coz methinks you're about to find out. eek! cry

I don't think any two owners have similar ideas on this subject & by the time you get about 150 postings on this subject you'll at least know the meaning of confusion. tongue

I'll put in my 2_cents worth & then step back & let 'em loose. whistle

In the past couple of weeks I've had to put tyres on both my cars, Cits, & of course, both front wheel drive. (These days, that has to be taken into account.) I had to allow for the various types of driving I do as well as the totally opposite nature of both cars.
    On the CX I have a fairly large heavy car with a somewhat spongy type of suspension that I use mainly for around town/around the property everyday hack. This car has been so hard on Michelin tyres i almost had to stop using them in case I ended up being charged with Rene Rivkin for stock market manipulation, I was using so many of them. I also had a choice of 175 or 185 or 195 fronts and 175 or 185 rears X 75 - R14.
    The majority of what I was offered (with no stipulation on price) were made in various parts of Asia and to be honest, none really grabbed me as far as pattern or perceived quality went. Eventually, I went to the local Bob Jane who were having a sale & who had a large range to choose from & believe it or not, settled on his own brand of tyres (don't laugh)!! We have them on another CX here & when it arrived home my first reaction was "get them off as soon as you can" but they have been absolutely brilliant & my eldest fellow had just driven the car back from Sydney & was rapt in them also. Due to the FCD, I had to do something out of character for this car, that being a longish trip & went to Brisbane (350klms) and it went superb both at highway speed, in the City as well as in the wet as it managed to rain on the way back. Best bit is, guaranteed against road damage and even better $70+ a tyre including everything. Good buying & still quite happy with them.
    The BX in contrast I had Falken directionals on the front & whilst they have been great as far as ride & handling is concerned & as quiet as a church mouse, on the front of a FWD car, they are a bit of a worry due to them giving a sensation like torque steering under heavy accelleration. I have been told by a mate of mine in the UK who is a safety tester for the UK goverment that this is the price you pay with these particular tyres & from all accounts this doesn't happen on RWD cars.
    In this case, where I have a lighter higher performance car that is used primarily for long trips, I sent the Falkens to the rear wheels & was advised by a friend in the tyre business to go for Dunlop Le Mans A5 which is their latest tyre. He reckons they are so popular they are even hard to get due to the demand outstripping the supply. He was right there, mine had to come from Melbourne as there was no stock in Brisbane or Sydney.
    They were fitted a couple of days ago & they are really spectacular. Nice ride, very precise steering and totally quiet. They've had Stephen Johnson and a few of the Touring car drivers doing a series of promos all over the place & the reason this guy suggested them to me was that he & his staff all have them fitted to their own cars as he showed me when I was there. Dunlop claim it as their best ever production tyre apparently, so they may be worth taking a peek at also.
    Long rant, but my bet is there'll be plenty more to come. dance

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I had a pretty good run with a pair of Hankooks on mine... about $90 each fitted.

I know i asked an openended question, but twas the best way that i could think of getting an answer

I have to agree that Bob Jane's are pretty good tire places.

I will have to look at both the Hankooks and the Bob Jane specials

Sad to see the michelin's go, but that's the way it is. Mine are showing a very small patch or radial, so tis time to say adieu.

thanks

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

nJm
    When my 505 needed new 14" tyres I bought Michelin Certis. My car was previously fitted with Michelin MXTE 185/80 R14, however as these were now a 'classic' tyre in the michelin range, I'd be up for $140 per tyre. I got 185/75 R14 Certis for $100 each (on special at bob jane). They have been great value. Sure, they aren't a performance tyre at all, however they have proved to have quite good levels of grip (you should have seen my old pug cornering on the 2nd melbourne aussiefrogs cruise!), excellent traction off the lights in the wet as well. My only issues with them really is that it is quite easy to loose the tail when cornering in the wet, and that they don't make a lot of noise when reaching their limit. The Certis also has an extremely high wear rating - I've seen some last 50,000km on a Camry.

My main problem when looking for tyres was getting a decent tyre in the size my car required. Most 185 or 175 width tyres are fairly cheap nasty things. The Certis is far from perfect, but I'd have to say they were good value for money.

Alan, the Dunlop LeMans A5 is a great tyre. I've been in a 505 GTi with them fitted. About a year ago they were going for $170 per tyre I think, and are also not available in the sizes for a 504/early 505.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yes its a pity that many of the michelin tires on older pugs are now considered to be classic and relatievly unaffordable.

I was quotes 80 somethign on michelins.

A trip to bob Jane is in order to see what sort of tires will actually fit on the pug that are of decent quality and not going to break my bank.

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

James,

Be REAL careful of cheap Michelins. A while back, before I got matey with this tyre guy here, I was offered a "bargain of a lifetime" from the owner of a large franchise in town here on Michies at $100 a pop. I noticed they were made in Brazil or Mexico (some Banana Republic anyway) & was told they get them made all over the World these days (which is true.) The bullshit yarn I was spun was that they were normally $185 but as a promo deal, they were selling at almost half price.
    They were without doubt one of the worst tyres I ever had on a car. cry cry The walls were soft & weak, splitting if they hit even a moderate pothole, they punctured easily & were buggers to balance ending up with weights like housebricks on the wheels. I had to replace a couple in the first few months & the rest were totally stuffed with 9 or 10 months due to the soft doughey rubber...never again! mallet mallet

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    I'm looking for the same thing. Apparently Michelin are running pretty much on reputation now and for $110 each, I'd like a pretty decent tyre. I was recommended a Pirelli (can't remember what model) from Bob's for $115 each on special. Had some of the silica Hancooks on the front of the 404 for a while and they exceeded expectations.

Good luck.

I think the Bob Jame is going to get a good and through speaking to by me. They seem like nice people so hopefully they will tell me what i need to know. Because i know where they live

I hope to leave with quality and relatievly cheap tires.

What's with this new deep grove in the tires now?

Is that to get rid or the water on wet days?

thanks

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Tadpole
    I got a set of Michelin Certis for my 504 about 7 months ago from Bob Jane and they have been great. No problems as yet....

504style:
    I got a set of Michelin Certis for my 504 about 7 months ago from Bob Jane and they have been great. No problems as yet....
    Are you in a drought affected area? I thought my Certis were good too until the dry spell in Sydney broke. They're not a patch on other Michelins I've had (XZX, MX, MXT, MXF, MXF Club, Vivacy).

Dave

<small>[ 04 August 2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I got some new Hankooks on the front onThrusday.

I love them, not sure of quality though, but the ride at the front is so much smoother.

Used to have the sickening smack when hitting anything at more than 5kph, now a nice thump, much nicer

People had sucess with Hankooks over time?

Cost me $158 fitted.

Was going to get the Bob Jane Allrounders, but there were none in stock, needed new tires, mine has serious cracks.

I am goign to get some new ones for the rear next week.

Hankooks or Bob Janes?

any idea's

thanks

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

1000+ Posts

I'm putting 4 Toyo 800 plus 185/75R14's on our 504 on Monday - I'll let you know how they go.

Derek.

I'm lookiing at Toyos or Michelin XZX for the 403. Both expensive, but I don't like Korean tyres. Had some experiences there. Developing leaks all on their own, etc. Crap IMHO.

Anybody tried Toyo v Mich in 165 R15?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

1000+ Posts

Toyo aren't Korean, they're Japanese.

Derek.

I've just had a set of Bridgestone B249's fitted to mine, replacing a set of Bridgestones S227's which lasted 60k (would have been more but were running underinflated most of the time due to leaky wheels). $92 each.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

1000+ Posts

First impressions of the Toyo 800 Plus "Radial Tourer"

- great steering feel: much better than the Michelin MXTE's it had
    - very much lighter steering, at much lower tyre pressures
    - nice and quiet

I'll report back again after I get home and have driven a few kilometres on them.
    My sister's going to be very happy with the fact that the steering's much lighter. I'm amazed at the difference! The tyres that were on the front weren't even that close to bald.

Derek.

1000+ Posts

These are good tyres - it was pouring with rain this afternoon on my way home from work. They certainly feel better in the wet than the old tyres.

As hard as I tried, I couldn't spin the wheels when unleashing the fury of the 504 at the traffic lights, even in the pouring rain

Derek

Yeah, I haven't been able to spin the wheels either.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Yeah, I know Toyo are Japanese. What I meant is that f I don't want to get expensive Toyo or Michelin my only other options inthe 165 size are Korean. Hankook etc. I don't like Korean tyres
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Well my hankooks are going quite well.

NIce soft ride, not sure about cornering though, do feel a bit lighter though, not sure if this is the tires, or just the shockingly hard ride from the xzx's?

they are 195's, interesting, but good I like lots of rubber between me and the road, will worry about wear later

Still not balanced, no one likes my wheels, tommorrow hopefully

Spin the back wheels?????????? Ths is possible? Where do i get the mod Do i need a spoiler? hahah

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Spin the back wheels?????????? Ths is possible? Where do i get the mod Do i need a spoiler? hahah
    No, you need one of these. They work by reducing the friction between the tyre and the ground, helping you to "light up" the tyres

Derek

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

how much were the toyos ?
    i'm thinking of putting nankang 215/65/14's on the 604
    either that or 205/65/14's but the 215's are easier to get
    standard fitment on the 604 is a pizzling 175/75/14
    now thats a fine size for a 203/403/404 but a 604 needs good sized boots on it
    they look very funny with cheese cutters on them
    bloody mudflaps are wider than 175's
    i had a set of 215/65/14's on my last 604 on 6" rims they were yokohama A509's and they were great
    the car isn't a street racer so i don't need anything like super performance on it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    how much were the toyos ?
    "Mates rates" so I won't comment on the price of them. I'd probably expect around the $110-$120 mark, fitted.

Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

here is what i am thinking of getting

3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information