405 MI16 Fuel Pump relay?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 MI16 Fuel Pump relay?

Hi All,

Is this the Fuel pump relay from a 405 MI16 xuj94?

And if it is do they fail?

Thanks

Chris

Relay 1.jpg

Advertisement

nope, that's not it. It's in a black box near the engine mount and has a fat, white wires running to/from it, #76. Yes they fail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405 MI16 Fuel Pump relay?-screen-shot-2019-05-10-9.38.14-pm.png  
    Last edited by PeterT; 10th May 2019 at 10:42 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Thanks Peter T

These are the only other relays I can find on the car apart from in the fuse box. These are mounted in a blackbox on the passenger side in front of the scuttle plate.20190511_165919.jpg20190511_170006.jpg20190511_170023.jpg

BTW Not sure if you remember my car, it's a Charcoal 205 MI16, which you did the rear beam and handbrake cables on a few years ago.

You said for a 405, not a 205. Very different. The fuel pump relay for a 205 will either be in a black box, behind the LH headlight (Jetronic) or up near the ECU, under the dash (Motronic). I can't recall any other oem locations/variations. The only other possibility could be if you're running a full 405 Mi16 loom. Regardless, look for a thick white wire, #76 or #76A.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

My early 205GTI had the pump relay in a black plastic box under the AFM together with a bunch of other connections and wires.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Found it in a black box on the drivers side above the wheel arch, underneath what I think is AC piping.

Changed the relay, still no Fuel pump

1000+ Posts

Chris, do you possibly still have one of these fitted and not wired properly? I know it's unlikely, but I'm not sure on the loom setup.

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/articl...ric-relay-r98/

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
    Found it in a black box on the drivers side above the wheel arch, underneath what I think is AC piping.

Changed the relay, still no Fuel pump
    How do you know the fuel pump itself hasn't failed?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO beat me to it. Hot wire the pump see what happens.

You can also check the relay before you go buy another one yet again. But also check the relay is powered and has signal.

All of that after checking the pump.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Thanks, all. The car had been running. After sitting for a couple of weeks while I was away, it wouldn't start.

It has spark, but doesn't have power at the fuel pump fuse.

I'll check I have the right replacement relay, and also check power the fuel pump itself.

VIP Sponsor

I've had this problem with two Mi16s that had been sitting for a while. I hardwired 12v direct to the pump, which got them working. From then on the wire could be removed and the pump worked as normal.

What Graham is saying sounds like pump dried perhaps with some tiny residue left behind by drying fuel that locked it up a bit, just enough that it doesn't want to move that easily. Happens in carbies as well and you can have the float stuck or some such. Hot wiring it probably gives it more power, maybe just enough that it starts spinning again.

Thread Information