406HDI multi function display gone completely blank
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406HDI multi function display gone completely blank

I have searched this one but only finding solutions where the display in the middle of the dash above the aircon one, has a damaged image etc. Mine was working perfectly and then it was completely blank and hasn't come back. The car is having issues and in the back of my mind I can accept this is a BSI problem, but still I don't want to go jumping to conclusions without checking other possibilities.

Advertisement

Short history - car throttle stopped responding (stranding the wife), then various sensors replaced, codes cleared and all worked perfectly except then was flattening battery overnight, tracked that to the a/c compressor clutch being stuck on at all times. In the process of unplugging things trying to trace and recharging battery, the engine light started coming on at start up but with no warning on display.

This may be very relevant - best advice seemed to be that the relay for the compressor is in the BSI, so thinking I would be simplifying that repair, I was planning to set up a stand alone relay, coming off the a/c switch that would kick in the compressor. So i popped out the MFD so i could feel down as to what wires might go to that A/c switch. I didn't disconnect the MFD, just simply pulled it gently to one side while i felt down for other wires. Next time i started it the display didn't work, so logic would suggest I have affected it, but have wiggled the plug and pulled it away and put back but no response. In the past it went dull (but could still see it) when the background lights blew, but replaced them a long time ago and worked fine ever since. I can see those background lights are still lit when ignition on.

I really have given up on the car for long term ownership (or more importantly the wife has) and bought a replacement car. I want to move it on but I wouldn't buy a car with such problems so just trying to solve it all. My instinct, after my earlier troubles - where the car didn't reset itself but clearing codes did fix it, that I should have another go at clearing codes, but that is costing $50 every time they plug it in. Is there a cheap and easy option for clearing codes (like i know some cars can with ebay items) or is the only way to do it with the Peugeot system that sounds a bit more complicated and costly? I guess if i invest in something to do that, even if i am just then passing the car on, it would benefit a new owner.

After a great run with this car over 12 years, I probably should just write it off and get rid of it and stop spending time and money, but the really agonising part is that it still drives perfectly, as good as the day we got it - a few weeks back doing a 700km country round trip with the trip computer showing an average flicking between 5.7 and 5.8 l/100km. The replacement car is struggling to get down to 10..... but I just can't rely on this car anymore, especially with the wife sometimes alone visiting family in the country with that 700km trip. Very sad!

1000+ Posts

Just check the connection to the display and its seated correctly, even moving it aside and putting strain on wiring could dislodge it and the fact it went blank after this is fairly suggestive it has moved, not surprising with the crappy electrics these days.

Make sure connection is clean, there are products to do this, eg spray.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Did you end up pulling the compressor fuse
    The ac panel just sends info and commands to the bsi it doesnít have the switches your looking for you will need to intercept the power coming from the bsi to the compressor and switch that but also donít forget that relay could also be shorted on the switch side so some current draw may still be evident

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Thanks - yes i undid it, sprayed with electonic cleaner/preserver and plugged back. I also moved it around thinking that maybe a wire broken inside but no response. Will try again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Just check the connection to the display and its seated correctly, even moving it aside and putting strain on wiring could dislodge it and the fact it went blank after this is fairly suggestive it has moved, not surprising with the crappy electrics these days.

Make sure connection is clean, there are products to do this, eg spray.
    Some books have left and are coming your way

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Really hard to find fuses on my car with the handbook (that i am sure is the one that came with the car because i bought it from the original owner) - fuse diagrams don't match my car and nothing written on the back of fuse covers like other cars I have owned. Come to think about it though even the index in the back of that handbook doesn't match what is in it! Do you know what the fuse number is for the compressor? I only pulled the plug off the compressor itself.

Thanks and that makes sense not to worry with switches sending signals to BSI and voltage etc there could be different to running relays. With climate control I don't know that we ever turned off the a/c button anyway, so i could just run the relay off an ignition fed 12v feed and then new wire direct to compressor.

I'm sure there is no significant additional current draw. I have a volt meter connected direct to the cigarette lighter and after many days just sitting there, then turning ignition switch, its not losing any voltage.

Donít let current and voltage confuse
    What year model is the 406 fuse diagrams are available online

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/APddb/

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

1000+ Posts

Might pay to put multimeter and look for 12V on that plug, it should be there to power the display. Check service box with your VIN it might help
    Last edited by Matthew; 19th April 2019 at 02:11 PM.
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

1000+ Posts

Do you have the wiring diagram, this will assist greatly.

Thanks David, will chase them up!
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

sorry for slow response. Have left the window on my computer screen open and i press refresh, but it seems sometimes i have to log out and log back in again to see new posts. Thanks for that link. It says first registration 2002 etc under the 406 icon, nothing earlier. This was first registered 2002 but build tag 2001. Anyway, i will check when home again. I can see the A/C compressor fuse is same as "double injection relay - reverse lights, oil temp, oil level" - so will the car still run if i pull that?

I know diff of current and voltage, but if you have a current draw over a number of days and then check voltage, its going to show a drop isn't it? I know current is the problem but the remaining voltage is its effect. That's what i meant anyway, that i don't think any current is drawing because voltage is sitting steady even after days at about 12.5 - and that's without starting to recharge, just checking. Jumps to 14.4v once started so i think all the charging is working.

Anyway, thanks for the advice - plan of action is to double check fuses, wires and connector and voltage at it in relation to the MFD. It doesn't stop it working but with the engine light coming on would be nice to see what it is telling me.

Thinking it through from remarks above, significant current draw or not, there is no doubt a relay on that BSI that is stuck on and could be affecting other things. I have this feeling that the only way to sell the car on and feel like i am not passing off a lemon is to pull that BSI and have a good look, replace the relay as suggested with a jaycar item and check for dry joints etc at the same time.

If all that fails I have a new plan. My sons (12 and 14) are doing a Junior Development Program with the Southern Districts Car Club in SA this year - teaching them to drive cars on dirt and will be eligible to compete in Khanacross events. The club has a range of hatches from lasers to colts etc etc that the students drive in the Saturday training and then can hire to use on the Sunday main event against other drivers - a field of about 50. I had been thinking of a cheap hatch for them to drive in subsequent events, but with this car being rendered basically worthless through its electronic issues, it stills goes well and maybe it lives another life this way. It might be bigger than the other cars but lots of grunty power by comparison i would think. Probably need to look at some way to lift it a bit, cut that low slung front bumper and maybe a sump guard. Does seem wrong though with such a nice car otherwise, perfect seats/trim etc - would certainly be the flashest car in the field from what i have seen!
    Last edited by craigb; 20th April 2019 at 10:37 AM.

Thread Information