306 Hydraulic Lifters
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 Hydraulic Lifters

Is it possible to adjust the hydraulic lifters in a 306 1.8 litre engine or do they need to be replaced? I'm getting a light tapping noise, particularly when the car is at normal operating temperature..noticeable when engine on over run..not so much during acceleration. Have had the timing belt, tensioner and water pump replaced. Car has done 162K's. I've also tried the old trick of flushing the engine with Auto Transmission Fluid. It's so clean in there you can hardly see the oil on the dip stick. I'm thinking the culprits must be the lifters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

What oil is the engine, did you change filters twice?
    https://itstillruns.com/do-flush-usi...d-7668200.html

It's more likely got a bent valve. However, you said that you looked inside. What condition are the cam lobes in? ie are there any flat spots or signs of wear? I've seen this before. Idiot mechanics replace the oem lifters with inferior after market items and the problem still exists. Just be careful and do your homework, as an OEM lifter was approx. $60 each last time I checked.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Would have to agree, have 2 by 306 with more km than this and both running very well. Have head too with this, your welcome to it for a carton, from very low km 306 (40K km)
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

1000+ Posts

Light tapping on overrun but not under load classic diagnosis is small end wear, but not usually at 162k unless badly sludged up. Is it obviously coming from the valve gear?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I have a lifter that rattles for a while if I drive straight off after start up. If I start the car from cold and let it idle 3 - 4 minutes before driving off the lifter pumps itself up (bleeds itself) and then there is no rattle.

Try it.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Tadpole

Thanks for that info. I did use auto trans fluid in oil but didn't change filter twice. I refilled with semi synthetic 10/40 and new filter. We haven't looked at the camshaft lobes or lifters yet. Next port of call. It's weird..you can sit there reving the motor in neutral..no noise. It doesn't have that typical lifter noise when cold either. It must be something happening when engine is under light load..like going slowly in say second gear..no throttle...apply a bit of throttle..noise comes in but seems to disappear as revs rise. You cant hear it as cruising speed and engine is strong. Now I'm reading about chain driven oil pumps. Do the chains ever rattle on these? Still think it's coming from the top of the engine. Solution? Crank up the Eurovox Cassette Player..cant hear a thing!

Thread Information