• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob D
  • 1 Post By Pug72
  • 1 Post By Peter Chisholm

Thread: Questions for the 504 guys

Default Questions for the 504 guys

How do you remove a door off a 504? In this case I want to take the passenger front door off to replace the upper door seal, which extends from mid way up the B pillar to the base of the A pillar. It doesn't look like you can easily remove the pins in the hinge due to impeded access, so is there a better way? Perhaps I don't even have to remove the door to do this job? Any thoughts?

I have a 5 speed in my car. I always thought it must be a 505 gearbox, but how can I tell for sure what it is? Would it be a BA7/5? Any tips to help identify gearboxes?

following on from that, how many teeth would you expect to find on a standard 4 speed (BA7/4) speedo drive in a Ti?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Brett

1976 504 Ti (Avocado green)
    2000 306 XT (soon to be NZ daily driver)
    1972 Datsun 1600 Project

Brett,
    There is a special tool used by the trade to remove the hinge pins. Your local panel beater may be of some help here

Yes....they are called pin punches. But as it is so long since I worked on 504s, I cannot remember if you need to remove the door for that job. Possibly not.

5 speeds did not come out in 504s. Two varieties of 5 speed gearboxes came out in 505s : the BA 7 and the BA 10. The BA 7 looks just like a BA 7 four speed in a 504 (complete with oil leak) , but with an extension housing on the back. The roller bearing for the 5th gear is weak in these and does not have a good reputation, but they change gears smoothly.

The BA 10 is a chunkier, heavy duty beast and externally looks quite different, known in the past for (rarely) locking in one gear. Parts are easy to get as they are used in Jeeps and something else.

You can tell the difference by the extra sump plug on one of them at the back, but I forget which one has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    (complete with oil leak)
    Oh good, I'm glad that's not just my mine!
    1975 Peugeot 504 GL | 2018 Suzuki Swift GLX Turbo

Assuming you need to take the door off to do the seal/s, the door stays are different on the late 504s and I cant remember how to remove the late ones. I think the access issue you describe relates to the bottom hinge pin. If so, drive it out with the right sized punch upwards from underneath the hinge.

Fellow Frogger!

7/5 speedo outlet on right
    10/5 on left hand side
    Doush_504 likes this.

Thanks guys. Bob D, that's the kind of thing I was hoping to find out. Thank you!

1972 Datsun 1600 Project

Looking at the 504 door hinge, there are 3 phillips head screws holding each hinge to the door, 1 screw is accessed from outside the door and two screws are accessed once you remove the door card.

This looks pretty straight forward (be a two person job) or am I missing something?

The door stay pin can be easily removed with a suitably sized punch.

When I installed a BA10/5 into a 504 many years ago I remember having to massage the tunnel with an FBH so the gearbox would clear. It is much bigger gearbox.
    Dano likes this.

It's not clear to me which seal is to be replaced. Is it the one on the door or the one on the car body? If it's the one on the car body then you don't need to remove the door. If it's the one on the door, you do need to remove the car door.

If the 504 is a late model there is no door stay pin to removed - it is a wire loop that I don't know how to remove.

Assuming it is the seal on the door, and it is a later mode,l unscrewing the door hinges is probably the way to go.

If it's an earlier 504 then I'd be inclined to remove the pins so as not to disturb the door alignment.

Thanks guys. Peter, it's the seal attached to the door itself.

Mine is a 76. So, a late-ish model. It has the door stay with the spring plate and bent (approx 6mm) wire catch, if that's what you were referring to.

It was the hinge pin I was considering knocking out, but it looked like the pin would be too long to clear the curve in the door, if you know what I mean...

Andrew, I agree it's probably not that hard. I'll get it sussed. Thanks for the advice on the gearbox.

brett

1972 Datsun 1600 Project

Okay, it's the later type. I know what you mean by the curve in the door.

Unless someone has worked out a way to remove the wire type stay, I reckon the easiest way would be to remove the door trim panels and unbolt the door. It's a bit of mucking around but not difficult and helps avoid scratched paintwork.
    cjl likes this.

Drive the "coil" pins half out, then drill an about 4mm hole in the pin at right angles just below and close up to the hinge. Get a cold chisel and hammer and give the pin a nice tap just below the hole that you drilled. The pin will break off, then drive the rest of the pin out.

I was once a Fitter!

PS you will need new hinge pins.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

And I am a toolmaker, so I know exactly what you're talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    Drive the "coil" pins half out, then drill an about 4mm hole in the pin at right angles just below and close up to the hinge. Get a cold chisel and hammer and give the pin a nice tap just below the hole that you drilled. The pin will break off, then drive the rest of the pin out.

I was once a Fitter!

PS you will need new hinge pins.

1972 Datsun 1600 Project

Thread Information