• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS
  • 1 Post By ThanosK

Thread: 505 GR struts and TCA's

Tadpole

Default 505 GR struts and TCA's

Hi, Can someone confirm that the 505GR struts with the late 505 TCA's will give me neg camber when fitted to 504 please. Rest of plan is later steering control arms, 505GTI front antiroll bar, 604 rear antiroll bar and uprated king springs all round, new shocks etc..

We're preparing the car for the Repco retrial later this year and the plan is to raise the ride height which I'm led to believe will bring the neg back towards 1.5deg using this set up. Rest of prep is about making the car reliable, rebuilding fuel systems, replacing pumps, fuel lines, brake rebuild, radiator,s new water pumps, replacing all welsh plugs and servicing head, washing out bottom end.

Advertisement

V.
    Vaughan

How do you plan on raising the ride height? I have previously used a 50mm spacers made from Aluminium that sit between the strut top and the body. To level the car, the rear had 604 springs.

VIP Sponsor

505 GR struts with early arms are what you want. Late 505 struts and arms will give too much negative, 1.5 is too much for what you want to do.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree with Graham. I have lifted my wagon front 25mm and used the original wagon springs.
    I used the later Lower Control Arms with screw in ball joints rather than the early type. The later LCAs are 22mm longer from memory.
    It is perfect for tyre wear and a slight neg camber.

VIP Sponsor

To explain a bit more, early 505 arms are the same length as late ones but the later struts, late STi on, have negative camber built in. Bob, your wagon had the screw in type arms at normal 504 length?
    You either use the late struts with 504 arms, but need late 504 wagon screw in LCAs, or early 505 LCAs on either 504 or early 505 struts.
    Isn't this event a bitumen tour? Why not just leave it as it is? Negative camber will mean the car will follow the camber of the road, a bit of a pain on such a long drive.

Fellow Frogger!

Graham
    Mine did not have the screw in ball joints.
    I used 505 LCAs screw in ball joint. 22mm longer I think.
    With the car raised 25mm everything worked beautifully.

Fellow Frogger!

Probably the only time is my years in the forum I disagree with Graham. All our front ends have 2.5 degrees of negative camber for rally work. We have gone through all geometries and a minimum of 1.5 degrees negative is needed for good performance. If you are raising the car by 25 mm or so, get a set of STi struts and LCAs. Also, I think that 604 rear springs are taller, but softer. Get a set of STi or GTi springs and use spacers under the springs to increase height. You should also shim the rear to 1.5 degrees negative camber and 3 mm total toe

VIP Sponsor

But for what reason? The event in question is just a tour along straight roads and was all on bitumen unless this has been changed.
    cjl likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Clearly, if it not a competitive event on twisty rally stages, there is no reason for extreme camber, 1 degree is enough. As I said, my comments apply to rally work only.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    But for what reason? The event in question is just a tour along straight roads and was all on bitumen unless this has been changed.
    Doush_504 likes this.

Thread Information