2011 308 Touring Diesel power steering, auto trans and Newcastle mechanic?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2011 308 Touring Diesel power steering, auto trans and Newcastle mechanic?

Hi everyone,

I'm back in the world of French car ownership , having bought a 2011 diesel 308 Touring to ferry the wife and kids around. I bought the car and there are a couple of quirks that I'm not sure are common to all or unique to my 308!

1. The power steering sometimes doesn't kick in when there are only small steering inputs. For example, if i'm driving around a large radius sweeping corner, if I steer into the corner slowly it's as if the power steering doesn't register and the steering is very heavy. If I go around the same corner but make a sharper initial steering input the steering is light as if the power steering has engaged. Is this a quirk of this model? A sign of a worn / dying power steering?

2. The auto transmission, when warm, sometimes changes back to 2nd with a bit of a clunk. I admit I do need to book the car in for an auto transmission flush and fluid change. Apart from this, is there more I can do to extend the life of the transmission?

Advertisement

Also I know there's a Pug / Cit dealer near where I live (Newcastle / Charlestown, NSW), does anyone use them for servicing and can they recommend them? I know there's an independent mechanic in Cessnock but this is a fair hike away. Are there any other decent French mechanics in town?

Thanks!

- Gunner.

Default 2011 308 Touring Diesel power steering, auto trans and Newcastle mechanic?

Cessnock are good for service and older stuff
    The power steering can be a steering angle sensor but itís expensive and if you donít mind I would leave it.
    It is a feeling a lot of the 308s get the auto may feel better after a flush but will probably need a valve body if the 2-3 shift feels odd you can fart around it but thatís what they end up being Iím in Newcastle and do a lot on these Iím going to be a bit biased on the dealer so wonít say anything city west is in town but again mainly service. Pm me if you want more info.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Thread Information