203 Hood lining
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roland

Thread: 203 Hood lining

Default 203 Hood lining

Has anybody had a go at relining the hood in a 203 sedan (1955) ? Can a replacement be acquired or is a visit to friendly upholsterer the way? Are there any tricks re bow strips; do the windscreen, back window need to come out etc? I am anticipating painting the 203 & the roof lining should be replaced then too.....has a few bad patches at the back corners.Thanks, Dave

Advertisement

Hi Kiwi,

Take out your windscreens.
    You will see how the roof lining is wrapped around the edge of the window opening.
    Take out old roof lining - keep intact as much as possible.
    Paint.
    Install/renew any wiring to interior roof light.
    Take car and old roof lining to upholsterer for new roof lining to be made and fitted.
    Get new rubbers and refit the windscreens.
    Continue with restoration.

Cheers
    Roland
    Beano likes this.
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Thanks for that. Was hoping there would be someone out there who has made their own hood....I like a challenge! Dave

Have a look on you tube, doubt you'll find one for 203, but here is one for a vintage car - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqOI7QXs76U

Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

If you take the lining out carefully after the windscreens, you could reproduce the linings by taking them apart and carefully copying each facet and the sewing together. However there may be stretching of the original due to age.
    Much better to simply order a replacement from France. Yes they are available. No I don't know at which vendor but perhaps Google is your friend.
    Google search first to find French Google.
    Then type into that Peugeot 203 and you'll find a lot of French parts places.
    Once you have the hood lining take it to a motor trimmer for fitting after the paint. It will be worth the trouble. While you're at it order new rubber seals for windscreens and doors and get the motor trimmer to fit the windscreens. Ask me how I know that the rear windscreen is a bastard to fit.
    From memory both screens must be extracted by pushing in. Please verify this as they only go one way and I forget which way it is.
    If nobody tells you then ring Goodwin Brothers in Cessnock and speak to Mal. He has a memory like an elephant.

Sellerie Gomez looked good a few years ago ...
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Thanks Luthier. Front screen comes IN & back OUT I understand. At start of 2003 Redex took 203 from NZ to OZ & guy in Sydney replaced windscreen with laminated job & made a hell of a mess of dash paint...he thought it was quite funny for some reason, more so after he had plastered heaps of black sealer around the outside!! Anyway, car is due for paint & liner will need replacing. Thanks for help so far. Years ago somebody posted some diagrams of measurements & cutting/ sewing pattern Hopefully he may see this too.Dave

Screens on 403 go in at front and out at rear BUT 203 was designed for both glasses to fit from the inside of the car being pushed out. My experience at fitting 203 front laminated glass goes back over 40 years , it was a pain - the third attempt succeeded - each time I had the glass cut a little smaller because it would almost be in and then crack down the middle. Rubber suction pads should have been used to support the glass !
    As to head lining , I have done a number 2x 403 , FX Holden and a Mercedes with a full length folding sunroof where the inside of the folding part had to be lined up with the rest. That was a pain - 3 months of trial and error at weekends finally resulted in a better job than the professionals had achieved previously. If you dont get a premade from Europe, it should be possible to make your own if the sewing machine is no challenge. I would suggest though that you get spare material and make and temporarily fit to see that it does not have puckers or other nasties , if any problems they can be sorted with the final make up.'The biggest problem you may have will be attaching the sides to the car , I will be doing a 203 with sunroof down the track and have opted for the side connection method from the Mercedes - you can remove and replace at will while fitting. To see what I mean you will need access to a ROUNDY Benz without its headlining in place .If you have access to a full factory workshop manual for the Benz you will see it.
    Last edited by Restorer; 18th February 2019 at 10:26 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hood lining is pretty straight forward if you can sew in a straight line,
    if you can use a medium weight material that has a bit of stretch , which makes fitting easier
    use the old lining for a pattern but remember to leave excess to all edges

the front 4 bows are parrallel but the rear needs 250mm taken from the extremities at the bow
    sides are tucked into the sharks tooth over the doors (which makes removal tedious an tricky but there are no shortcuts )
    when refitting the screens (after the hood lining) you will need to use a sealant as there is very little lip

Thanks guys. We WILL get there!! Dave

Thread Information